- Robert Downey Jr. says ‘Endgame’ finale is ‘best 8 minutes’ of any MCU film Today 4:42 PM
- Elizabeth Warren calls on Congress to impeach Trump Today 3:43 PM
- BlackBerry Messenger is still a thing—but not for much longer Today 2:56 PM
- Matt Gaetz hires speechwriter fired by White House for attending white nationalist event Today 1:33 PM
- Here’s why Elon Musk is a sheep on Twitter Today 12:14 PM
- Trump is already running Facebook ads on the Mueller report Today 12:07 PM
- 20 thoughtful gifts grads actually want Today 12:00 PM
- 7 of the best psychological thriller movies on Shudder Today 11:44 AM
- Seth Abramson’s epic Mueller thread finally comes to a conclusion Today 11:40 AM
- Netflix is testing out a random play feature Today 11:28 AM
- Teen star Danielle Cohn faked pregnancy for YouTube prank Today 10:55 AM
- How to watch ‘A Discovery of Witches’ for free Today 10:42 AM
- Rev up your own family rivalries with these ‘Game of Thrones’ board games Today 10:29 AM
- Mueller’s ‘harm to ongoing matter’ is the best way to stay silent about your life Today 10:21 AM
- 10 Korean skincare brands that are worth your money Today 10:00 AM
Anonymous activist Barrett Brown indicted for threatening FBI agent
Brown, arrested Sept. 12, has been charged with conspiracy to release restricted information on a government employee.
Anonymous activist and journalist Barrett Brown has been indicted on federal charges related to videos of him insulting the FBI and threatening an agent.
Brown, 31, was charged making threats on the Internet, “conspiracy to make publically available restricted personal information of a government employee, and retaliation against a federal law enforcement officer,” the Washington Post reported.
Brown was arrested in his Dallas County home on Sept. 12, only a few hours after he posted a YouTube video threatening to knife any FBI agent who disturbed him or his mother. The incident was caught on camera thanks to a TinyChat session Brown was on during the arrest. One anonymous user recorded the arrest and shared the video with the Daily Dot.
The indictment also includes transcripts of several tweets Brown posted in early September, threatening to leak personal information about the agent unless the FBI returned a laptop and other property they had apparently confiscated from Brown.
“I get a call from [Agent Smith] my laptop’s on a plane to Dallas or I release in 25,” Brown tweeted Sep. 10.
Brown is currently being held in the Mansfield Federal Detention Center in Mansfield, Texas.
Following many of Anonymous’ high-profile hacks, Brown has spoken extensively about the group, taking on a role as its unofficial spokesman.
In March, his home was allegedly raided by FBI agents following the arrest of LulzSec leader Hector Xavier Monsegur, known as “Sabu” online. Monsegur pleaded guilty to 12 counts of violating federal law after working as an FBI informant to take down LulzSec and AntiSec members.
Photo via YouTube
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.