- UPS facing backlash for thanking police after employee killed in shootout Saturday 5:02 PM
- Sanders campaign fires staffer after anti-Semitic, homophobic tweets surface Saturday 3:13 PM
- Brother Nature was attacked, says everyone just watched with phones out Saturday 2:45 PM
- Ryan Reynolds’ gin company hires Peloton wife for ad Saturday 1:24 PM
- Ex-vegan YouTuber accused of fraud after following meat-only diet Saturday 1:11 PM
- The 15 best Disney+ hidden gems and deep cuts Saturday 12:23 PM
- Everyone in GoFundMe scam involving homeless veteran has now pleaded guilty Saturday 12:06 PM
- Boy invites kindergarten class to his adoption–and people are emotional Saturday 11:56 AM
- Reddit links leaked trade deal documents to Russian campaign Saturday 10:44 AM
- How to stream Alistair Overeem vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik Saturday 8:30 AM
- Amazon sends customers condoms and soap instead of Nintendo Switch Saturday 8:28 AM
- How to live stream Jermall Charlo vs. Dennis Hogan Saturday 8:00 AM
- Apple TV’s ‘Truth Be Told’ is a criminally dull drama Saturday 6:00 AM
- Thousands of Uber users have reported sexual assaults, company says Friday 5:40 PM
- ‘Astronomy Club’ reformats the sketch show Friday 4:58 PM
Anonymous activist Barrett Brown indicted for threatening FBI agent
Brown, arrested Sept. 12, has been charged with conspiracy to release restricted information on a government employee.
Anonymous activist and journalist Barrett Brown has been indicted on federal charges related to videos of him insulting the FBI and threatening an agent.
Brown, 31, was charged making threats on the Internet, “conspiracy to make publically available restricted personal information of a government employee, and retaliation against a federal law enforcement officer,” the Washington Post reported.
Brown was arrested in his Dallas County home on Sept. 12, only a few hours after he posted a YouTube video threatening to knife any FBI agent who disturbed him or his mother. The incident was caught on camera thanks to a TinyChat session Brown was on during the arrest. One anonymous user recorded the arrest and shared the video with the Daily Dot.
The indictment also includes transcripts of several tweets Brown posted in early September, threatening to leak personal information about the agent unless the FBI returned a laptop and other property they had apparently confiscated from Brown.
“I get a call from [Agent Smith] my laptop’s on a plane to Dallas or I release in 25,” Brown tweeted Sep. 10.
Brown is currently being held in the Mansfield Federal Detention Center in Mansfield, Texas.
Following many of Anonymous’ high-profile hacks, Brown has spoken extensively about the group, taking on a role as its unofficial spokesman.
In March, his home was allegedly raided by FBI agents following the arrest of LulzSec leader Hector Xavier Monsegur, known as “Sabu” online. Monsegur pleaded guilty to 12 counts of violating federal law after working as an FBI informant to take down LulzSec and AntiSec members.
Photo via YouTube
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.