- How to stream Saints vs. Bears in Week 7 2 Years Ago
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Ravens in Week 7 2 Years Ago
- Are TikTok teens throwing up gang signs in their videos? Today 2:45 PM
- Anti-impeachment protesters believe ‘deep state’ tried to sabotage rally Today 12:51 PM
- How to stream 49ers vs. Redskins in Week 7 Today 12:00 PM
- How to stream Cardinals vs. Giants in Week 7 Today 12:00 PM
- How to stream Packers vs. Raiders in Week 7 Today 12:00 PM
- How to stream Vikings vs. Lions in Week 7 Today 12:00 PM
- How to stream Rams vs. Falcons in Week 7 Today 12:00 PM
- Billie Eilish fans think they figured out who stole her ring Today 11:32 AM
- ‘Give me candy’: Hailey Bieber mocked for defense of celebrating Halloween as a Christian Today 10:28 AM
- Aaron Paul predicted Jesse Pinkman’s fate on Reddit years ago Today 8:53 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Eli’ is a satisfyingly nasty blend of haunted houses and medical horror Today 7:00 AM
- Why 8chan’s founder is fighting to keep the infamous message board dead Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream NFL Sunday Ticket without DirecTV Today 5:00 AM
An Amtrak train carrying Congressional Republicans to an annual retreat in West Virginia collided with a truck 10 miles outside of Charlottesville, Virginia. One person died in the collision, and another was seriously harmed, according to a statement from the White House.
Members on the train immediately tweeted about the incident to say they were unharmed. There are no serious injuries reported among congresspeople and their staff.
I am on the train, but I am okay. https://t.co/wmOjatHw9S— Rep. Don Bacon (@RepDonBacon) January 31, 2018
We are on our way to our annual GOP retreat, the train carrying members and spouses hit something. Laina and I are ok, I am helping those that are injured, I will have Laina keep you updated as I know more.— Dr. Roger Marshall (@RogerMarshallMD) January 31, 2018
An Amtrak spokesperson issued a statement previously saying there were no known injuries to either passengers or crew, but one reporter on the train said the driver of the truck was receiving medical attention.
Pictures and video from the scene quickly began circulating online.
BREAKING: GOP train hit a truck on way to retreat. Sources say driver getting medical attention; members okay. Pic-> pic.twitter.com/99xmsGFEEs
— Rachael Bade (@rachaelmbade) January 31, 2018
As for Jack Durkin’s note that it was a hazmat (or hazardous materials) situation, there are some reports that the collision involved a garbage truck.
The Republican members of Congress were on their way to an annual retreat at the Greenbrier Resort in West Virginia.
Update 11:42am CT, Jan. 31: Press Secretary Sarah Sanders just sent the following statement regarding the accident.
“The President has been fully briefed on the situation in Virginia and is receiving regular updates. There is one confirmed fatality and one serious injury. There are no serious injuries among members of Congress or their staff. Senior Administration officials are in regular contact with Amtrak and state and local authorities. Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone that has been affected by this incident.”
This story is developing and will be updated as new information becomes available.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]