- A lonely grandma sought family to spend Christmas with on Craigslist Saturday 5:45 PM
- Airbnb bans white supremacists tied to Iron March forum Saturday 5:07 PM
- Did a Twitter user really get tricked into naming baby ‘Jack Ingof’? Saturday 4:46 PM
- State of emergency declared in New Orleans following ‘cyberattack’ Saturday 4:12 PM
- Video shows boy getting beat up–mom says it’s because he wore MAGA hat Saturday 3:54 PM
- Billboard changing albums chart to count YouTube streams Saturday 2:43 PM
- TikTok’s 20 most popular songs of 2019 Saturday 2:14 PM
- Greek gods memes are flooding Reddit thanks to TV reboot rumors Saturday 1:47 PM
- Anti-impeachment protesters aimlessly fumble through halls of Congress Saturday 12:54 PM
- Everything we know so far about the Xbox Series X Saturday 12:17 PM
- ASMR YouTuber Life with MaK says she was branded a ‘Nazi’ by online smear campaign Saturday 10:46 AM
- Voters duped by fake ex-Bloomberg intern’s tweet about being fired Saturday 9:47 AM
- HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ and the fantasy of competence Saturday 8:00 AM
- Cómo ver Kamaru Usman vs. Colby Covington en el UFC 245 Saturday 7:00 AM
- ‘Penis fish’ memes erupt after worms wash up on California coast Friday 5:58 PM
An Amtrak train carrying Congressional Republicans to an annual retreat in West Virginia collided with a truck 10 miles outside of Charlottesville, Virginia. One person died in the collision, and another was seriously harmed, according to a statement from the White House.
Members on the train immediately tweeted about the incident to say they were unharmed. There are no serious injuries reported among congresspeople and their staff.
I am on the train, but I am okay. https://t.co/wmOjatHw9S— Rep. Don Bacon (@RepDonBacon) January 31, 2018
We are on our way to our annual GOP retreat, the train carrying members and spouses hit something. Laina and I are ok, I am helping those that are injured, I will have Laina keep you updated as I know more.— Dr. Roger Marshall (@RogerMarshallMD) January 31, 2018
An Amtrak spokesperson issued a statement previously saying there were no known injuries to either passengers or crew, but one reporter on the train said the driver of the truck was receiving medical attention.
Pictures and video from the scene quickly began circulating online.
BREAKING: GOP train hit a truck on way to retreat. Sources say driver getting medical attention; members okay. Pic-> pic.twitter.com/99xmsGFEEs
— Rachael Bade (@rachaelmbade) January 31, 2018
As for Jack Durkin’s note that it was a hazmat (or hazardous materials) situation, there are some reports that the collision involved a garbage truck.
The Republican members of Congress were on their way to an annual retreat at the Greenbrier Resort in West Virginia.
Update 11:42am CT, Jan. 31: Press Secretary Sarah Sanders just sent the following statement regarding the accident.
“The President has been fully briefed on the situation in Virginia and is receiving regular updates. There is one confirmed fatality and one serious injury. There are no serious injuries among members of Congress or their staff. Senior Administration officials are in regular contact with Amtrak and state and local authorities. Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone that has been affected by this incident.”
This story is developing and will be updated as new information becomes available.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]