- Spotify will soon let you block R. Kelly Monday 6:01 PM
- New Click to Pray app lets you pray with Pope Francis Monday 5:30 PM
- Social media influencer known for hiking in bikinis dead at 36 Monday 4:54 PM
- Trump posts altered pics on social media to make fingers look longer, report Monday 3:20 PM
- Twitch user banned after telling woman to ‘kill yourself’ during stream Monday 3:06 PM
- Facebook introduces ‘Community Actions’ tool to petition the government Monday 2:04 PM
- Sarah Sanders, NRA deliver truly misguided MLK tributes today Monday 12:58 PM
- MAGA teen who confronted Native elder says he ‘respects all races’ Monday 12:57 PM
- Popular YouTube channel in danger of disappearing because of copyright claims Monday 12:24 PM
- The Krassensteins’ Reddit AMA gets trolled off the internet Monday 12:08 PM
- No, Trump didn’t break open the Pizzagate scandal in 2011 Monday 11:23 AM
- Producer of anti-abortion film says Facebook refuses to run his ads Monday 10:58 AM
- Ja Rule thinks he was also a victim of Fyre Fest Monday 10:21 AM
- YouTube beef between RiceGum and H3H3 gets ugly—and personal Monday 10:02 AM
- ‘Fox & Friends’ accidentally airs obituary graphic for Ruth Bader Ginsburg Monday 9:40 AM
No injuries on the train were reported.
An Amtrak train carrying Congressional Republicans to an annual retreat in West Virginia collided with a truck 10 miles outside of Charlottesville, Virginia. One person died in the collision, and another was seriously harmed, according to a statement from the White House.
Members on the train immediately tweeted about the incident to say they were unharmed. There are no serious injuries reported among congresspeople and their staff.
I am on the train, but I am okay. https://t.co/wmOjatHw9S
— Rep. Don Bacon (@RepDonBacon) January 31, 2018
We are on our way to our annual GOP retreat, the train carrying members and spouses hit something. Laina and I are ok, I am helping those that are injured, I will have Laina keep you updated as I know more.
— Dr. Roger Marshall (@RogerMarshallMD) January 31, 2018
An Amtrak spokesperson issued a statement previously saying there were no known injuries to either passengers or crew, but one reporter on the train said the driver of the truck was receiving medical attention.
Pictures and video from the scene quickly began circulating online.
— Jeff Denham (@RepJeffDenham) January 31, 2018
— Jack Durkin (@DurkinWeather) January 31, 2018
BREAKING: GOP train hit a truck on way to retreat. Sources say driver getting medical attention; members okay. Pic-> pic.twitter.com/99xmsGFEEs
— Rachael Bade (@rachaelmbade) January 31, 2018
As for Jack Durkin’s note that it was a hazmat (or hazardous materials) situation, there are some reports that the collision involved a garbage truck.
The Republican members of Congress were on their way to an annual retreat at the Greenbrier Resort in West Virginia.
Update 11:42am CT, Jan. 31: Press Secretary Sarah Sanders just sent the following statement regarding the accident.
“The President has been fully briefed on the situation in Virginia and is receiving regular updates. There is one confirmed fatality and one serious injury. There are no serious injuries among members of Congress or their staff. Senior Administration officials are in regular contact with Amtrak and state and local authorities. Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone that has been affected by this incident.”
This story is developing and will be updated as new information becomes available.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]