- 27 senators call on Trump to fire Stephen Miller 3 Weeks Ago
- Conservatives are fighting over whether porn is OK 3 Weeks Ago
- The best in tech gifts for women this year 3 Weeks Ago
- Why do the Golden Globes keep sidelining women filmmakers? 3 Weeks Ago
- Netflix dominates with 34 Golden Globe nominations across TV and film 3 Weeks Ago
- Ethan Klein has declared war on K-pop—and K-pop fans 3 Weeks Ago
- People are not happy with Steve Harvey’s cartel comment to Miss Colombia 3 Weeks Ago
- The decade conspiracy theories overtook the truth Today 9:14 AM
- Marianne Williamson duped into believing Trump pardoned Charles Manson Today 8:55 AM
- TikTok users are freaking out about ‘predicting’ Juice WRLD’s death Today 7:59 AM
- @MugJerry and the quest for Instagram justice Today 7:00 AM
- Angela Abar wrestles with destiny in ‘Watchmen’ episode 8 Sunday 9:05 PM
- Guy who runs Trump Organization Twitter account caught hyping up own tweet Sunday 4:51 PM
- People found out how tall Olaf is–and now ‘Frozen’ is terrifying Sunday 3:41 PM
- Rapper Juice WRLD dead at 21 Sunday 3:02 PM
A petition backed by Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) calling for White House adviser Stephen Miller to resign in the wake of a cache of his emails being leaked has amassed more than 45,000 signatures as of Monday.
Last week, the Southern Poverty Law Center’s Hatewatch published emails sent by Miller in 2015 and 2016 where he, among other things, shared a link from a white nationalist website. The emails quickly drew condemnation.
The New York lawmaker pushed for Miller’s resignation in the immediate aftermath of the emails being published, saying on Twitter that he was “exposed as a bonafide white nationalist.” She brought attention to a petition hosted on her website the day after the emails were published.
A few days later, Ocasio-Cortez tweeted a link to a new petition—this time at MillerMustGo.com.
“We’re not done with Stephen Miller. He’s a verified White Supremacist controlling US immigration policy, which has now detained over 70,000 migrant children,” Ocasio-Cortez tweeted on Friday. “This is not to be dismissed. People’s lives are at risk. He needs to go now. We’re mobilizing:”
We’re not done with Stephen Miller.— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) November 15, 2019
He’s a verified White Supremacist controlling US immigration policy, which has now detained over 70,000 migrant children.
This is not to be dismissed. People’s lives are at risk.
He needs to go now.
We’re mobilizing: https://t.co/6Rs55PTTPx
As of Monday afternoon, the petition had 45,224 signatures. The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment by the Daily Dot about the petition.
The petition reads:
“Leaked emails show Stephen Miller peddling white nationalist conspiracy theories, ranting about ‘white genocide’ and obsessing over the loss of Confederate monuments in the wake of Dylann Roof’s South Carolina terror attack. Now he’s in the White House directing mass human rights abuses against immigrants at the border, from family separations to child detentions. We cannot allow white nationalists in the White House. Sign below to call for Stephen Miller’s immediate resignation.”
Numerous other congresspeople have also called for Miller to resign.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).