- ‘Beyoncé’s Assistant for a Day’ creator is releasing more games on storytelling app Yarn 5 Months Ago
- Why does everyone keep falling for that Instagram and Facebook hoax? 5 Months Ago
- A bunch of celebrities fell for that viral Instagram hoax 5 Months Ago
- Former Die Antwoord crew member says video shows ‘homophobic attack’ Today 1:13 PM
- How to stream all the MLS Rivalry Week matches Today 1:13 PM
- Nevada officials issue warnings for people prepping to ‘Storm Area 51’ Today 12:55 PM
- These are the 8 best fighting games available today Today 12:43 PM
- Pluto TV and the NFL launch the NFL Channel Today 12:40 PM
- Trump: ‘I am the chosen one’ Today 12:33 PM
- Video shows arrest of 15-year-old who threatened school shooting online Today 12:11 PM
- Woman finds massive diamond after watching YouTube video on how to find diamonds Today 11:30 AM
- Up to 20 states are banding together to probe Facebook, Google Today 11:08 AM
- Get your tinker on with the Electronic Games Advent Calendar Today 10:51 AM
- Why Joe Biden has big Jeb Bush energy Today 10:35 AM
- Trump quotes conspiracy theorist saying he’s the ‘second coming of God’ Today 9:04 AM
The cult of personality surrounding Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (N.Y.-D) continued to grow after one intrepid Twitter astrologist obtained the congresswoman’s birth time.
The revelation came from Twitter user Arthur Lipp-Bonewits, who acquired her full birth time (Friday, Oct. 13, 1989, at 11:50 a.m., for those curious) through an email exchange with a staffer from Ocasio-Cortez’s office.
Lipp-Bonewits tells the Cut that he initially contacted the office about a policy concern. Realizing his opportunity, however, Lipp-Bonewits added a request for Ocasio-Cortez’s birth time with the explanation, “I and many of my professional colleagues are fans of hers, and that the astrology community would greatly appreciate knowing her birth time.”
GUYS I GOT ALEXANDRIA OCASIO-CORTEZ’S BIRTH TIME— Arthur, like the King (@lipandbone) January 14, 2019
Thank you THANK YOU @AOC and your staff for being willing to share this information! The astrological community thanks you! pic.twitter.com/wbCi8CIZ0G
The astrology community online went rabid over this information. People generated full birth charts for Ocasio-Cortez, and it turns out that she’s a Libra sun, Aries moon, and Sagittarius rising. Some analyzed how well these traits correlate for someone in politics.
“It’s an excellent chart for being a politician,” astrologer Anne Ortelee told the Cut. “She really is a person who believes that she’s here to help and to serve.”
Here’s the whole sign chart. pic.twitter.com/zGPolpVSEp— astrojen (@astrojen) January 15, 2019
Considering that I literally pulled up AOC’s birth chart with a lesbian friend tonight, I AM SHAKING https://t.co/DPYRFZsSGN— Jeanna Kadlec 🌈 (@jeannakadlec) March 26, 2019
We're about to enter the age of the Co-Star primary. https://t.co/YxlhOaW7Iy— Brittany Shepherd (@blrshepherd) March 26, 2019
It’s no secret that astrology has resurged greatly in the past few years as a source of stability for a large community of seeking sense in a senseless world. The fact that the discovery about Ocasio-Cortez has been met with such fervor also demonstrates the American public’s obsession with elected officials and people we elevate above the general public.
Turning public officials into larger-than-life personalities isn’t great, but at least Ocasio-Cortez openly providing her birth details goes along with her populist politics—and provides some good fun.
- James Comey jokes about running in 2020—and no one is here for it
- Defending Biden by tweeting the legal definition of sexual assault is one way to do it
- Elizabeth Warren hopes policy will set her apart in 2020
H/T the Cut
Ignacio Martinez is a journalism student at the University of Texas at Austin and an intern at the Daily Dot. His work has appeared in the Texas Observer and on the airwaves at KVRX 91.7 FM.