- How to stream Atletico Madrid vs. Bayer Leverkusen in the Champions League Monday 11:00 PM
- Russian bots targeting Joe Biden on Instagram Monday 10:04 PM
- TikTok takes down 2 dozen ISIS accounts being used for recruitment Monday 9:38 PM
- British judge refuses to delay WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange’s extradition hearing Monday 8:01 PM
- Indicted Giuliani associate Lev Parnas’ private Instagram filled with Trump connections Monday 7:22 PM
- ‘Bomboclaat’ is the new ‘sco pa tu manaa’ Monday 7:00 PM
- Lori Harvey reportedly trying to walk away from car crash spawns memes Monday 6:00 PM
- In Netflix’s ‘Upstarts,’ Silicon Valley CEOs are the good guys Monday 4:35 PM
- This video of a tree struck by lightning is… relatable? Monday 4:13 PM
- How to watch ‘Keeping Faith’ Monday 3:37 PM
- ‘South Park’ at the center of $500 million streaming war Monday 3:16 PM
- Pizza Hut and Papa John’s employees pranked into talking to each other on the phone Monday 2:34 PM
- Twitter bullies brought Jordan Peterson to tears Monday 2:24 PM
- 25 last-minute Halloween costumes for those with no time to shop Monday 1:30 PM
- Krassensteins return to Twitter and are immediately suspended Monday 1:01 PM
The cult of personality surrounding Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (N.Y.-D) continued to grow after one intrepid Twitter astrologist obtained the congresswoman’s birth time.
The revelation came from Twitter user Arthur Lipp-Bonewits, who acquired her full birth time (Friday, Oct. 13, 1989, at 11:50 a.m., for those curious) through an email exchange with a staffer from Ocasio-Cortez’s office.
Lipp-Bonewits tells the Cut that he initially contacted the office about a policy concern. Realizing his opportunity, however, Lipp-Bonewits added a request for Ocasio-Cortez’s birth time with the explanation, “I and many of my professional colleagues are fans of hers, and that the astrology community would greatly appreciate knowing her birth time.”
GUYS I GOT ALEXANDRIA OCASIO-CORTEZ’S BIRTH TIME— Arthur, like the King (@lipandbone) January 14, 2019
Thank you THANK YOU @AOC and your staff for being willing to share this information! The astrological community thanks you! pic.twitter.com/wbCi8CIZ0G
The astrology community online went rabid over this information. People generated full birth charts for Ocasio-Cortez, and it turns out that she’s a Libra sun, Aries moon, and Sagittarius rising. Some analyzed how well these traits correlate for someone in politics.
“It’s an excellent chart for being a politician,” astrologer Anne Ortelee told the Cut. “She really is a person who believes that she’s here to help and to serve.”
Here’s the whole sign chart. pic.twitter.com/zGPolpVSEp— astrojen (@astrojen) January 15, 2019
Considering that I literally pulled up AOC’s birth chart with a lesbian friend tonight, I AM SHAKING https://t.co/DPYRFZsSGN— Jeanna Kadlec 🌈 (@jeannakadlec) March 26, 2019
We're about to enter the age of the Co-Star primary. https://t.co/YxlhOaW7Iy— Brittany Shepherd (@blrshepherd) March 26, 2019
It’s no secret that astrology has resurged greatly in the past few years as a source of stability for a large community of seeking sense in a senseless world. The fact that the discovery about Ocasio-Cortez has been met with such fervor also demonstrates the American public’s obsession with elected officials and people we elevate above the general public.
Turning public officials into larger-than-life personalities isn’t great, but at least Ocasio-Cortez openly providing her birth details goes along with her populist politics—and provides some good fun.
- James Comey jokes about running in 2020—and no one is here for it
- Defending Biden by tweeting the legal definition of sexual assault is one way to do it
- Elizabeth Warren hopes policy will set her apart in 2020
H/T the Cut
Ignacio Martinez is a journalism student at the University of Texas at Austin and an intern at the Daily Dot. His work has appeared in the Texas Observer and on the airwaves at KVRX 91.7 FM.