- People are sharing how serving in the military has ruined their lives with #WhyIServe Sunday 5:31 PM
- Gillette ad showing a dad teaching his trans son how to shave has the internet in tears Sunday 4:34 PM
- 4chan’s new troll campaign aims to make the hashtag a white supremacist symbol Sunday 2:49 PM
- Here’s what that ‘cliff wife’ meme is all about Sunday 12:58 PM
- Artist suspended from Facebook, Instagram after posting anti-MAGA artwork Sunday 12:04 PM
- How to watch Serie A online for free Sunday 7:30 AM
- What does ‘uwu’ mean? Sunday 7:00 AM
- How to uninstall the Epic Games Launcher (for real) Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Indianapolis 500 online for free Sunday 6:00 AM
- Ohio KKK rally met with massive counter-protest and witty signs from local businesses Saturday 5:06 PM
- Guy who said he stole drugs from MS-13 now says viral story is fake Saturday 4:07 PM
- Financial service company left 885 million private records exposed online Saturday 3:13 PM
- Sasha Obama went to prom and Twitter is delighted with the photos Saturday 2:22 PM
- Jon Voight says Trump is the greatest president since Lincoln in Twitter videos Saturday 1:31 PM
- #DeleteFacebook gains momentum after the platform refused to remove doctored Nancy Pelosi videos Saturday 11:58 AM
Polarizing Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez cartoon blows up Twitter
Ben Garrison puts AOC back behind the bar.
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) can’t seem to make it a week without going viral.
The freshman congresswoman makes headlines nearly daily for her outspoken left-wing politics. Some of those politics were displayed in a recent political cartoon from libertarian artist Ben Garrison. The cartoon depicts AOC in a crop top, offering up an array of “leftist snowflake” cocktails, including a “marxarita,” “late term abortion,” and “tax on the beach.”
A decade ago even, the longtime newspaper cartoonist’s satirical piece is published in a broadsheet and the next day it’s in the recycling bin. In the age of Twitter, it’s become something of a meme and rallying point for her fans online. People would, essentially, enjoy drinking here.
I would get so fucking blasted here pic.twitter.com/zKzTo1Teqz
— Jake Flores (@feraljokes) February 13, 2019
The cartoon comes in response to a recent tweet from Ocasio-Cortez in which the former bartender offered up a few “cocktails for the revolution.” Drinks like the Green New Deal-homaging “Bitter Dark n’ Stormy” swept the internet, with many people clamoring for a taste of the political beverages.
The cartoon picked up steam as people shared their thoughts on Garrison’s art.
“This is beyond cringey, it’s uncomfortable,” Twitter user @Zegh8578 wrote. “Also, what’s the whole ‘sexy’ angle all about? Is it solely and purely because she’s not an old dude?”
This is beyond cringy, it's uncomfortable. Also, what's the whole "sexy" angle all about? Is it solely and purely because she's not an old dude?
— Auja-winduR Mārs (@Zegh8578) February 14, 2019
AOC is definitley causing Ben Garrison to experience some very confusing feelings that he's struggling to work through
— David K (@dmk1793) February 14, 2019
I would get shit-someone-else's pants drunk at that bar.
— Robert Evans (The Other Robert Evans) (@IwriteOK) February 13, 2019
More than anything, people couldn’t stop talking about AOC’s stellar abs in Garrison’s recreation of her.
I know this caricature is supposed to be mean but her abs look perf.
— Holly (@SomeSplicer) February 14, 2019
I bet he hated knowing he had to give her abs
— dumb (@pabloisdumbbb) February 14, 2019
Even when drawing slightly racist caricatures conservatives main focus is how hot AOC is
— John Harper (@Johnwbh) February 14, 2019
Ben Garrison gave AOC sweet abs despite never having seen her tummy because ___________
— bruisey at home (@Bruisey) February 14, 2019
What does it take to get abs like that?
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.