- Guy who runs Trump Organization Twitter account caught hyping up own tweet Sunday 4:51 PM
- People found out how tall Olaf is–and now ‘Frozen’ is terrifying Sunday 3:41 PM
- Rapper Juice WRLD dead at 21 Sunday 3:02 PM
- Embody Andrew Yang, fight other presidential candidates in video game Sunday 2:33 PM
- Ariana Grande spoke with TikTok teen who looks exactly like her Sunday 1:00 PM
- Beyoncé accused of paying dancers ‘low rates’ Sunday 11:58 AM
- Timmy Thick blasted for saying the N-word in comeback video Sunday 9:11 AM
- Netflix’s ‘The Confession Killer’ is a devastating and well-built portrait of a con artist Sunday 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! I’m ashamed to tell anyone about my online shopping habit Sunday 6:00 AM
- UPS facing backlash for thanking police after employee killed in shootout Saturday 5:02 PM
- Sanders campaign fires staffer after anti-Semitic, homophobic tweets surface Saturday 3:13 PM
- Brother Nature was attacked, says everyone just watched with phones out Saturday 2:45 PM
- Ryan Reynolds’ gin company hires Peloton wife for ad Saturday 1:24 PM
- Ex-vegan YouTuber accused of fraud after following meat-only diet Saturday 1:11 PM
- The 15 best Disney+ hidden gems and deep cuts Saturday 12:23 PM
NYPD officer charged for shooting unarmed man
Officer Peter Liang is expected to surrender himself Wednesday.
The New York City police officer who shot and killed unarmed black man has been indicted for his death.
Officer Peter Liang will likely faces charges related to killing Akai Gurley, 28, while on duty. The charges include of second-degree manslaughter, criminally negligent homicide, second-degree assault, and reckless endangerment, according to local news reports.
Gurley’s death, on Nov. 20, came in the midst of a rash of incidents in which police officers who were not black killed unarmed civilians who were, spurring the hashtag and activist movement #BlackLivesMatter.
At the time of Gurley’s death, unrest continued to percolate across the U.S. over the shooting death of 18-year-old Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo., at the hands of a Ferguson Police Officer Darren Wilson. On Dec. 3, just weeks after Gurley died, a grand jury chose not to indict NYPD officer Daniel Pantaleo for choking 43-year-old Eric Garner to death, reigniting tensions betweens citizens and police.
After shooting and killing Gurley in a stairwell in the Brooklyn neighborhood of East New York, Liang reportedly texted his union representative before calling for medical attention.
Liang is expected to surrender himself Wednesday.
H/T NBC New York. Illustration by Max Fleishman.
A former senior politics reporter for the Daily Dot, Kevin Collier focuses on privacy, cybersecurity, and issues of importance to the open internet. Since leaving the Daily Dot in March 2016, he has served as a reporter for Vocativ and a cybersecurity correspondent for BuzzFeed.