- Twitter blasts Benny Johnson over heinous Native American ‘socialist’ reservations take 2 Years Ago
- New Zealand arrests 2 for sharing video of mosque shooting Today 4:44 PM
- ‘Queer Eye’ season 3 serves more frothy fun and cathartic realness Today 4:30 PM
- Everyone is roasting this photo of Kourtney Kardashian in a bubble bath Today 4:15 PM
- White House report has a lot of superheroes listed as interns Today 4:06 PM
- Google to launch ‘Stadia’ cloud gaming service this year Today 3:55 PM
- Amy Schumer addresses her ‘Growing’ pains in new Netflix special Today 2:04 PM
- This Bitcoin tie is everyone’s favorite part of the Theranos documentary Today 1:56 PM
- Trump’s social media guru gets suspended on Facebook Today 1:51 PM
- YouTube time traveler says he saw a dinosaur—in the future Today 1:47 PM
- Why is Netflix changing the viewing order for ‘Love, Death & Robots’? Today 12:47 PM
- Elizabeth Holmes’ deep voice captivates and confuses the internet Today 12:40 PM
- These cat purses have everything you need (including balls) Today 12:22 PM
- Smooth dude gets girl’s number with a ‘choose your own adventure’ RPG on Tinder Today 12:20 PM
- Beto O’Rourke reportedly pranked his wife with a ‘verdant turd’ Today 12:13 PM
Trolls may have used WikiLeaks emails to wipe Clinton campaign chair’s iPhone
Adding insult to injury.
Some of the Podesta emails WikiLeaks chose to publish contained more than enough personal information to reset Podesta’s Apple iCloud and mess with his phone from afar. Even his Social Security number was allegedly published.
4chan’s “politically incorrect” /pol/ board—basically an online monument to Donald Trump and white nationalism at this point—claimed credit for taking over Podesta’s Twitter account, according to Gizmodo.
And then on Endchan, another, even more fringe anonymous message board, someone claimed to have successfully logged into Podesta’s iCloud account and erased his iPhone and iPad.
In both cases, the method of attack seems to have been password resets—presumably using the information posted by WikiLeaks.
Redditors on r/the_donald, the Reddit counterpart to /pol/, also claim to have downloaded the contents of the iCloud account.
Gizmodo also exchanged DMs with a hacker who claimed to have used the Podesta info to phish other DNC members, including ranking senators and Vice President Joe Biden.
The FBI is currently investigating whether Russia was behind the Podesta email hack. The predictable fallout from WikiLeaks’ unredacted dump of Podesta’s info certainly lends credence to Clinton’s claim during the debate: If the hacks were intended to influence the U.S. election, they certainly weren’t intended to help her win.
H/T The Verge
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.