- ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ just obliterated every stupid argument about its place in canon 2 Years Ago
- ‘Game of Thrones’ brings us lots of horny Tormund memes Today 8:46 AM
- 12 adult toys sex bloggers swear by Today 8:45 AM
- Howard Schultz mocked for ‘majority of Americans are Americans’ ad Today 8:35 AM
- The ultimate guide to strap-ons Today 8:00 AM
- Why ‘Ant-Man and the Wasp’ is my favorite Marvel movie Today 7:59 AM
- The quick and dirty guide to buying your first vibrator Today 7:45 AM
- How to watch ‘Live Rescue’ for free Today 7:00 AM
- Roger Stone to speak at Virginia strip club Today 6:56 AM
- Trans/Sex: Solid sex toy picks for pre-op and non-op trans women Today 6:30 AM
- Why Barrett Brown burned his National Magazine Award—and what he’s planning next Today 6:30 AM
- That heartbreaking ‘Game of Thrones’ song has key ties to the book Today 6:27 AM
- Here are the 11 best health documentaries on Netflix Today 6:00 AM
- How to add people to Google Home Today 6:00 AM
- How to play Fortnite on Mac Today 5:30 AM
Black veteran says he was booted from Chili’s at Trump supporter’s request
On Friday, a 47-year-old Army veteran went to a Chili’s in Texas for a free Veteran’s Day meal. Pretty standard stuff. Except Ernest Walker, who also happens to be a black man, says that while the waitress was packing up his meal to go, a customer in a Trump shirt started questioning if he was a veteran since Walker was wearing his hat indoors. The Trump supporter then went in the back of the restaurant, ostensively to complain, and soon the manager came out and questioned Walker as well.
Walker, who was also with his service dog named Barack, says he handed the manager, Wesley Patrick, his military ID and discharge papers. “At that point, he should have just said, ‘I am sorry Sir, thank you for your service,'” Walker wrote on Facebook. “Instead he followed up with ‘the guest also said your dog is not a service dog.'”
Patrick then took Walker’s food away and told him he had to leave, which is where his Facebook video picks up.
[Placeholder for https://www.facebook.com/100012925955468/videos/vb.100012925955468/209914146116116/?type=2&theater video embed.]
More than 6,000 people have shared Walker’s video and many are asking for Patrick to be fired. Chili’s has since posted on Facebook that it is looking into the incident and that the company “fell short.”
Photo via Ernest Blackbatman/Facebook
Jessica Machado is the IRL editor of the Daily Dot. Previously, she was an associate editor at Rolling Stone. Her work has been published in the Washington Post, Elle, Vice, Salon, BuzzFeed, Guernica, Bitch, Bust, the Cut, the Awl, the Toast, among others.