- R. Kelly charged in Chicago with multiple counts of sex abuse Friday 7:51 PM
- Elon Musk finally hosts PewDiePie’s meme review Friday 6:27 PM
- Netflix throws ‘Umbrella Academy’-themed wedding for fans Friday 4:54 PM
- Report: Facebook collects app data on users’ body weight, menstrual cycles Friday 3:38 PM
- Amy Klobuchar reportedly ate salad with a comb, and Twitter’s got questions Friday 2:47 PM
- Nobody likes Spotify’s new update Friday 2:34 PM
- Student assaulted on campus while tabling for right-wing group Friday 1:56 PM
- Kim Kardashian West sues fashion company for using her likeness to sell clothes Friday 1:12 PM
- The Oscar-nominated movies you’ll actually want to watch again Friday 12:56 PM
- Viral graphic shows the moment Apple became the top brand Friday 12:27 PM
- Jake Paul calls out KSI for a YouTube boxing match Friday 11:31 AM
- This elementary school made students play ‘runaway slave’ Friday 11:20 AM
- ‘Captain Marvel’ is already a box office hit Friday 11:06 AM
- This ‘buff bunny vs. small bunny’ meme is here for when you’re feeling inferior Friday 10:53 AM
- Ocasio-Cortez slams trolls who come at her with ‘weak’ memes Friday 10:52 AM
Black veteran says he was booted from Chili’s at Trump supporter’s request
On Friday, a 47-year-old Army veteran went to a Chili’s in Texas for a free Veteran’s Day meal. Pretty standard stuff. Except Ernest Walker, who also happens to be a black man, says that while the waitress was packing up his meal to go, a customer in a Trump shirt started questioning if he was a veteran since Walker was wearing his hat indoors. The Trump supporter then went in the back of the restaurant, ostensively to complain, and soon the manager came out and questioned Walker as well.
Walker, who was also with his service dog named Barack, says he handed the manager, Wesley Patrick, his military ID and discharge papers. “At that point, he should have just said, ‘I am sorry Sir, thank you for your service,'” Walker wrote on Facebook. “Instead he followed up with ‘the guest also said your dog is not a service dog.'”
Patrick then took Walker’s food away and told him he had to leave, which is where his Facebook video picks up.
[Placeholder for https://www.facebook.com/100012925955468/videos/vb.100012925955468/209914146116116/?type=2&theater video embed.]
More than 6,000 people have shared Walker’s video and many are asking for Patrick to be fired. Chili’s has since posted on Facebook that it is looking into the incident and that the company “fell short.”
Photo via Ernest Blackbatman/Facebook
Jessica Machado is the IRL editor of the Daily Dot. Previously, she was an associate editor at Rolling Stone. Her work has been published in the Washington Post, Elle, Vice, Salon, BuzzFeed, Guernica, Bitch, Bust, the Cut, the Awl, the Toast, among others.