- ‘Penis fish’ memes erupt after worms wash up on California coast Friday 5:58 PM
- Why Britons are tweeting ‘Little England’ in wake of the U.K. election Friday 3:22 PM
- Net neutrality advocates ask for rehearing on federal court decision Friday 2:29 PM
- Americans are sharing their #PrivateHealthLIFEhacks to help Brits Friday 2:28 PM
- Warren, Sanders, Yang pledge to skip next week’s debate over union dispute Friday 2:12 PM
- How to watch tonight’s Nets vs. Raptors matchup on NBA TV Friday 2:00 PM
- Alt-right comedian Owen Benjamin banned from Instagram over anti-Semitic memes Friday 1:55 PM
- TikTok teens are procrastinating with #FinalsWeek Friday 1:46 PM
- ‘The Mandalorian’ takes on a prison break in episode 6 Friday 1:30 PM
- Nick Cannon vs. Eminem battle expected to escalate after ‘off-limits’ daughter diss Friday 12:50 PM
- Laura Loomer vehemently denies being author of new Laura Loomer-themed action novel Friday 12:30 PM
- PewDiePie’s poop-inspired game gets banned by Apple Friday 11:29 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ showrunners to adapt ‘Lovecraft’ graphic novel to screen Friday 11:00 AM
- The 50 memes that defined the decade Friday 10:45 AM
- Venmo users are getting harassed with fraudulent payment requests Friday 10:38 AM
A woman on a United Airlines flight from London to Chicago says flight attendants made disrespectful jokes and excuses when she alerted them to a man who was masturbating next to her on the flight.
In an Instagram post on Saturday, Genevieve Pascolla, a 26-year-old photographer based in Chicago, shared a harrowing experience she had on a United flight in early June. According to Pascolla, she awoke from a nap to see the man next to her masturbating under a blanket. Disgusted and horrified, Pascolla went to the flight attendants to alert them of the situation. “The attendants checked and confirmed that he was masturbating in public,” Pascolla wrote in her Instagram post.
The attendants moved Pascolla and another woman in the same row who also stood up to get away from the man, to different seats on the plane. This seems like a reasonable first step, but unfortunately, things only devolved further from there. According to BuzzFeed News, she told the flight attendants about a similar experience she had on public transportation. “They then started making jokes about the situation asking ‘what perfume are you wearing’ and excusing him saying ‘he’s had a bit of wine,’” Pascolla wrote in her Instagram post. She also says the flight attendants did nothing to stop the man from masturbating on the flight, and that he was allowed to finish, even though there was a child nearby.
A United Airlines spokesperson spoke to BuzzFeed News about the situation, saying that “inappropriate and offensive conduct like this” is rare, but they have a protocol in place. “That’s why, in this case, our customers were promptly moved to different seats in a different section of the plane and law enforcement officials were summoned in advance to meet the perpetrator when the plane pulled into the gate.”
The spokesperson also said Pascolla was compensated for her flight, though Pascolla’s Instagram post shows a screenshot of an email where the company initially rejected her request for compensation, and simply apologized for the “uncomfortable situation.” In the comments on the post, Pascolla posted an update, saying, “I was given a travel voucher for half my flight apparently they do not do refunds? (Not particularly thrilled to fly United again).”
H/T BuzzFeed News
Alex Dalbey is a writer and zinester currently living in Saint Paul, Minnesota. They have written for The Daily Dot, Kill Screen, The Lingerie Addict, and Bullet Points.