- Influencer gets prison time for performing illegal cosmetic procedures on followers Saturday 5:13 PM
- Parent immediately regrets baby monitor after seeing ‘possessed’ baby Saturday 3:53 PM
- Buttigieg used Kenyan stock photo to promote plan for Black America Saturday 2:29 PM
- Disney+ is the best streaming service for families available today Saturday 1:43 PM
- Netflix to amend Nazi docuseries after being accused of rewriting history Saturday 1:09 PM
- Everything you need to know about TikTok Saturday 1:00 PM
- Screaming drummer girl steals hearts with passionate Nirvana cover Saturday 12:50 PM
- The Kardashians receiving backlash for food fight Instagram post Saturday 10:26 AM
- How to stream Artem Lobov vs. Jason Knight in BKFC Saturday 9:00 AM
- Lizzo sued by Postmates runner she accused of stealing her food Saturday 8:39 AM
- How to stream Jan Blachowicz vs. Ronaldo ‘Jacare’ Souza on UFC Fight Night Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to watch Georgia vs. Auburn live Saturday 6:30 AM
- How to stream Navy vs. Notre Dame live Saturday 3:30 AM
- The actor who played Greedo is just as confused by ‘maclunkey’ as you are Friday 4:57 PM
- AirPods are getting that sweet, sweet Black Friday price drop Friday 4:24 PM
Anyone who has seen a single episode of America’s Next Top Model knows that Tyra Banks is the one and only expert of beauty and fashion. She knows all. She’s a Harvard Business School grad. No one can do it better. So when Tyra tells you that you “deserve” to see the real her, you better open up your eyes—and smize.
Late last night, Tyra posted a no-makeup selfie to Instagram:
You know how people say #nofilter but you know there’s a freakin’ filter on their pic? Or maybe there’s a smidge of retouching going on but they’re lying and saying it’s all raw & real? Well, this morn, I decided to give you a taste of the really real me. I wanted to smooth out my dark circles so badly!!! But I was like, “Naw, Ty. Show ’em the REAL you.” So…here I am. Raw. And there YOU are…looking at me, studying this picture. Maybe you’re thinking, “Whoa, she looks ROUGH.” And if you are, great! You deserve to see the REAL me. The REALLY real me. #RawAndReal
A photo posted by Tyra Banks (@tyrabanks) on
As she explains in the caption, “I wanted to smooth out my dark circles so badly!!! But I was like, ‘Naw, Ty. Show ’em the REAL you.’”
In 2009, Banks famously showed her real hair on her talk show, Tyra.
And body positivity has always been a tenet of Tyra’s message. In 2009, she answered tabloid critics by telling them to kiss her “fat ass.” Legendary.
But Banks is not the only celebrity, or woman for that matter, taking selfies with no makeup to make a point. Earlier this year, the #nomakeupselfie campaign managed to raise $8 million for cancer research. And of course, stars have always posed without any powder for great attention and praise. In March, Gwyneth Paltrow posted a casual morning selfie without anything on her face:
Believe in the power of Tyra.
Screengrab via Tyra Banks/Instagram
Myles Tanzer is a former contributor to the Daily Dot with an emphasis on technology and viral news. He is currently the Fader's news editor, having previously written and edited for Vogue, BuzzFeed, and Gawker.