- Social media influencer known for hiking in bikinis dead at 36 1 Month Ago
- Trump posts altered pics on social media to make fingers look longer, report Today 3:20 PM
- Twitch user banned after telling woman to ‘kill yourself’ during stream Today 3:06 PM
- Facebook introduces ‘Community Actions’ tool to petition the government Today 2:04 PM
- Sarah Sanders, NRA deliver truly misguided MLK tributes today Today 12:58 PM
- MAGA teen who confronted Native elder says he ‘respects all races’ Today 12:57 PM
- Popular YouTube channel in danger of disappearing because of copyright claims Today 12:24 PM
- The Krassensteins’ Reddit AMA gets trolled off the internet Today 12:08 PM
- No, Trump didn’t break open the Pizzagate scandal in 2011 Today 11:23 AM
- Producer of anti-abortion film says Facebook refuses to run his ads Today 10:58 AM
- Ja Rule thinks he was also a victim of Fyre Fest Today 10:21 AM
- YouTube beef between RiceGum and H3H3 gets ugly—and personal Today 10:02 AM
- ‘Fox & Friends’ accidentally airs obituary graphic for Ruth Bader Ginsburg Today 9:40 AM
- Ocasio-Cortez helps Donkey Kong Twitch streamer raise money for trans rights Today 8:09 AM
- ‘Soni’ is a smart crime drama with poignant observations on inequality Today 7:00 AM
Tomi Lahren has a talent for making headlines with her controversial statements. The conservative pundit has compared the Black Lives Matter movement to the KKK and mocked the students behind the March for Our Lives protest. She has no shortage of critics, and that includes a famous preteen who is trolling her.
Lahren on Tuesday claimed via Twitter that the $5 billion that Trump wants to spend on the border wall will be “the BEST $5 billion taxpayers EVER spent!” In response, Mari Copeny, a young activist from Flint, Michigan, informed Lahren that “$5 billion for water infrastructure upgrades and testing in schools seems like a much better way to spend that much money… but what do I know… I’m just a kid from Flint who was forced to learn all things water after the government poisoned us.”
Copeny, better known as “Little Miss Flint,” is an 11-year-old activist. She was practically forced into the role following the water crisis beginning in 2014 in Flint. In the years since Little Miss Flint has become a voice for others of her age who were affected by the lead contamination.
$5 billion for water infrastructure upgrades and testing in schools seems like a much better way to spend that much money…but what do I know…I’m just a kid from Flint who was forced to learn all things water after the government poisoned us
— Mari Copeny (@LittleMissFlint) December 12, 2018
Exposure to lead, particularly in children, has lasting health repercussions. Lead is considered a neurotoxin. This means not only does it affect the brain—particularly the developing brain—but the health impacts can take years to reveal themselves.
Copeny’s framing perfectly squarely dunks on Lahren’s argument because the case for a border wall centers around “protecting the American people.” Lahren has yet to respond.
H/T the Root
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.