- What were these QAnon fans doing posing at Guantanamo Bay? 6 Months Ago
- How to watch the 2019 NBA Draft online for free 6 Months Ago
- Ta-Nehisi Coates dismantles Mitch McConnell’s anti-reparations argument Wednesday 7:52 PM
- Whoopi Goldberg stirs debate over her opinion regarding Bella Thorne’s nudes Wednesday 7:04 PM
- Joe Biden really, really hates raves Wednesday 6:02 PM
- RIP to the Twitter geotagging feature that no one actually used Wednesday 5:14 PM
- Facebook contractors reveal the horrors of moderating graphic content Wednesday 4:42 PM
- Prosecutor almost directly quoted Bible in trial against man who helped migrants Wednesday 4:05 PM
- TikTok’s time warp videos get it twisted Wednesday 4:03 PM
- Is a ‘Stranger Things’ and Fortnite crossover event going to happen? Wednesday 3:55 PM
- YouTube reportedly thinking about moving all kids content off the main site Wednesday 3:50 PM
- AOC calls out Democrats for tone-deaf Beyoncé tweet Wednesday 3:15 PM
- Democrat candidates come out as ‘wife guys’ Wednesday 2:45 PM
- Poll of best Batman actors fails to include Adam West, and fans are not happy Wednesday 2:25 PM
- ‘Pose’ producer Janet Mock lands historic Netflix deal Wednesday 1:54 PM
Tomi Lahren has a talent for making headlines with her controversial statements. The conservative pundit has compared the Black Lives Matter movement to the KKK and mocked the students behind the March for Our Lives protest. She has no shortage of critics, and that includes a famous preteen who is trolling her.
Lahren on Tuesday claimed via Twitter that the $5 billion that Trump wants to spend on the border wall will be “the BEST $5 billion taxpayers EVER spent!” In response, Mari Copeny, a young activist from Flint, Michigan, informed Lahren that “$5 billion for water infrastructure upgrades and testing in schools seems like a much better way to spend that much money… but what do I know… I’m just a kid from Flint who was forced to learn all things water after the government poisoned us.”
Copeny, better known as “Little Miss Flint,” is an 11-year-old activist. She was practically forced into the role following the water crisis beginning in 2014 in Flint. In the years since Little Miss Flint has become a voice for others of her age who were affected by the lead contamination.
$5 billion for water infrastructure upgrades and testing in schools seems like a much better way to spend that much money…but what do I know…I’m just a kid from Flint who was forced to learn all things water after the government poisoned us
— Mari Copeny (@LittleMissFlint) December 12, 2018
Exposure to lead, particularly in children, has lasting health repercussions. Lead is considered a neurotoxin. This means not only does it affect the brain—particularly the developing brain—but the health impacts can take years to reveal themselves.
Copeny’s framing perfectly squarely dunks on Lahren’s argument because the case for a border wall centers around “protecting the American people.” Lahren has yet to respond.
H/T the Root
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.