- MSNBC is out of its mind over Sanders leading Nevada Saturday 5:20 PM
- Kim Kardashian dragged for using makeup to darken her hands Saturday 4:13 PM
- TikTok users show how they turned their vehicles into incredible tiny homes Saturday 3:44 PM
- Woman iconically pranks man who sent her an unsolicited d*ck pic Saturday 2:25 PM
- ‘Terrifying’ deepfake puts Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk in ‘Star Trek’ Saturday 1:06 PM
- A 36-year-old called the cops after being booted from parents’ phone plan Saturday 12:16 PM
- People think novelist Dean Koontz predicted the coronavirus in 1981 thriller Saturday 10:22 AM
- Twitter suspends 70 pro-Bloomberg accounts Saturday 9:15 AM
- In documentary ‘Modern Whore,’ a former escort takes control of her own narrative Saturday 6:30 AM
- Cara Delevingne calls out Justin Bieber for ‘ranking’ wife Hailey’s friends Friday 9:07 PM
- Fans defend Jenna Marbles after some people claimed she mistreated her dogs in a recent video Friday 8:37 PM
- ‘Friends’ gets reunion special on HBO Max, fans go wild Friday 7:37 PM
- Why you should drop everything and start reading ‘Lore Olympus’ Friday 6:27 PM
- ‘Boogaloo’ memes are trying to organize a second civil war—and they’re spreading fast Friday 3:48 PM
- People are disturbed by these McDonald’s-scented candles Friday 3:47 PM
The latest iteration of the “choking game” is making its presence known on TikTok, and doctors are warning people not to take part in the “challenge.”
Currently, the fatal trend is making its rounds under the “pass out challenge” moniker. Children and teens are filming themselves using temporary asphyxia to get high, a practice that Time reports dates back as far as the 1930s. The method of using temporary asphyxia to experience a sensation of euphoria has had many names in its time: “space monkey,” “flatliner,” “choking game,” and most recently, “pass out challenge.”
“What is actually going on in the brain is a lack of oxygen similar to when someone is drowning, choking or having a cardiac arrest,” Flynn said at the time. “If you have low oxygen to the brain for over three minutes you can get brain damage and if you have low oxygen to the brain for over five minutes it can result in death.”
Videos that contain the tag “#passoutchallenge” have over 233,000 views on TikTok. When this “challenge” has previously infiltrated a media platform such as YouTube or Snapchat, videos showing children and teens using belts and ropes to strangle themselves have numbered in the multimillions, according to Time.
However, many TikToks don’t show these tools being used in this way. Rather, young adults and children can be seen swinging their heads and stopping in a manner meant to induce vertigo and lightheadedness, producing a similar result to the temporary asphyxia associated with previous iterations of the choking game.
Despite the new method being used to chase the “pass-out-challenge” high, there are still safety concerns according to the Mirror. The latest version of the “pass out challenge” simulates suffocation, denying the brain vital oxygen. Repeated attempts can result in brain damage if an individual’s oxygen supply is stifled for three minutes.
The CDC reported in 2010 that the mean age of individuals who participate in the “choking game” is 13.7. As the CDC no longer tracks data about deaths and injuries related to “the choking game,” it’s impossible to know how recent proliferation of online media and viral challenges have contributed to the growth of the “game.” However, Time reports that CDC data shows more than 1,400 young adults and children died from accidentally hanging themselves from 2000 to 2015.
- The pass-out challenge has teens knocking themselves out on purpose
- Mom learned about her special needs son’s abuse by seeing TikTok video
- The ‘trippy’ TikTok hand challenge looks like magic
H/T: The Mirror
Brooke Sjoberg is an editorial intern for the Daily Dot studying journalism at the University of Texas at Austin. She is also the Daily Texan's Life and Arts Editor and an editorial intern for Texas Connect magazine.