- Netflix’s ‘Someone Great’ is a coming-of-age rom-com for twenty-somethings 2 Months Ago
- The best new movies and TV shows to stream this weekend 2 Months Ago
- ‘Ramy’ explores the intersection of Muslim and millennial identities 2 Months Ago
- The top 10 Sekiro bosses, ranked Today 6:00 AM
- How to install PlayStation Vue on Kodi to stream live TV Today 5:30 AM
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez supports resolution that could lead to Trump’s impeachment Thursday 9:46 PM
- Ricardo Milos dancing memes are the new Rickroll Thursday 9:09 PM
- Laura Loomer sues Twitter, Muslim lobbying group over account ban Thursday 8:15 PM
- Far-right troll Ian Miles Cheong gets flamed for mocking a ‘Star Wars’ fan Thursday 6:17 PM
- Facebook says ‘millions,’ not ‘tens of thousands,’ affected by Instagram password bug Thursday 5:13 PM
- Leading 2020 Democrats mock redactions in Mueller report Thursday 4:04 PM
- 8 weed accessories for stealthy stoners Thursday 4:00 PM
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate players are now fighting on giant d*cks Thursday 3:37 PM
- Why are Facebook and Google translating this Spanish word into a racial slur? Thursday 3:32 PM
- Instagram page encourages meme creators to join a meme union Thursday 3:24 PM
Video shows student knocking MAGA hat off another student’s head
A viral video shows two Oklahoma students in an altercation that resulted in one knocking off the other’s “Make America Great Again” hat and grabbing his “Trump 2020” flag, the Edmond Sun reports.
The filmed incident resulted in Kenneth Dewayne Jones, an 18-year-old Black student, being issued a municipal court summons for assault and battery.
“Take it off or I’ll rip it off … do you want me to rip it off?” Jones can be heard saying to the white student who was wearing the Trump flag as a cape.
Jones can then be seen knocking the hat off of the student and grabbing the flag. A third student can be seen trying to mediate the situation.
The students attend Edmond Santa Fe High School. The incident occurred during the school’s week-long fundraising effort, during which students were able to wear hats.
“On the 25th, students were allowed to contribute a dollar to the fundraising cause in exchange for a pass to wear headgear to school, which is typically not allowed in school facilities during the school day,” school spokesperson Susan Parks Schlepp told the Edmond Sun.
Schlepp said that the student did not violate the school’s dress code by wearing the MAGA hat. But, she said, Jones violated the school’s discipline policy by knocking the hat off and grabbing the flag.
“In response, Edmond Santa Fe High School administrators, working simultaneously with Edmond Police, addressed the incident with swift and immediate disciplinary action,” Schlepp said. “The school district honors students’ First Amendment rights, but must at the same time be vigilant in teaching and supporting students as they learn how best to respectfully express their opinions.”
Jones was issued the summons by a school resource officer, according to the Edmond Sun, but he had not been officially charged. A spokesperson for Edmond police said that the family of the other student had five days to take action by meeting with the city attorney to move forward with the assault complaint.
Jones told KOCO 5 that he plans apologize for the incident. The family of the other student said it intends to pursue criminal assault charges.
- People call for boycott of daycare after its owner posted bail for R. Kelly
- Entire Sonic staff quits with scathing note taped to entrance
- Ellen Page: It’s time to ‘step up for trans people’
H/T Daily Mail
Eilish O'Sullivan is an editorial intern for the Daily Dot studying journalism and government at the University of Texas at Austin. Her work has appeared in the Austin Chronicle and the Daily Texan.