- Nick Offerman is so down to play every single role in ‘Cats’ 10 Months Ago
- Woman documents how airport staff broke her wheelchair Today 3:04 PM
- Funeral home allegedly posted photos of woman’s dead body on social media Today 1:56 PM
- Alinity Divine is being investigated after throwing her cat during stream Today 12:04 PM
- ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’ returns with Seinfeld making a racist joke about China Today 10:26 AM
- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback Today 9:06 AM
- The crushing effects of Trump’s abortion ‘gag rule’ on healthcare Today 8:00 AM
- How to live stream Pacquiao vs. Thurman Today 6:20 AM
- Review: Hulu with Live TV ensures you always have something to watch Today 6:00 AM
- How to live stream UFC on ESPN 4: Rafael dos Anjos vs. Leon Edwards Today 5:49 AM
- 2020 Democrats refuse to answer our questions about ‘Cats’ Friday 4:14 PM
- Belle Delphine’s Instagram account removed after mass reporting campaign Friday 4:08 PM
- Mariah Carey refuses old-age FaceApp challenge Friday 3:19 PM
- Journalists horrified by consolidation of Gatehouse, Gannett Friday 3:12 PM
- Facebook and Google could be tracking you on porn sites Friday 1:42 PM
On Monday, singer Mitski answered that timeless Twitter request: “Leak your skincare routine!”
So what’s her secret? Mitski says there’s no miracle cream, it’s just access to good healthcare.
people see footage of me w acneic skin + see my skin now + ask me to leak my skincare. it's now being able to pay for health care, a proper diagnosis, + medication, + being able to afford to turn down tours/work to make time for the doctor. There's no miracle product. Thx!— mitski (@mitskileaks) September 10, 2018
She also followed up to let fans know that even though she mentioned insurance, she won’t be dishing any dirt about her health.
I won't elaborate on my medical history or talk about it further, thank you!— mitski (@mitskileaks) September 10, 2018
Most fans expressed admiration for Mitski’s directness and honesty.
TEA SIS TEA, skincare twidder is shaking https://t.co/lCAqy2rfoQ— Nadiah Ya'acob (@imnadiahjacobs) September 11, 2018
And many appreciated the nod to the value of affordable healthcare.
we stan a comprehensive view on health and the body and beauty— arabelle sicardi (@arabellesicardi) September 11, 2018
i love this socialist queen !!!!!!! https://t.co/7MO1w3oygl— roo (@niacinamides) September 10, 2018
Access access access https://t.co/H9PUAxneaq— Corey O (@quintessencey) September 11, 2018
But a few were perplexed, equating having healthcare with having money, and thus believing her advice was to be rich.
So...money?— Jon Piszczek (@jon_piszczek) September 10, 2018
i’m high did she tell me to stop being broke— bryan (@naruhunty) September 11, 2018
Some even twisted Mitski’s original tweet into an insensitive statement.
There is no miracle product for brokes https://t.co/zEPLxuixg4— not an abstraction (@floozytart) September 11, 2018
The singer followed up on her original tweets to clarify her point, saying, “The real issue is that everyone should have access to healthcare & b able to take off of work to care for their wellbeing and that’s not the case.”
there's a doctrine of personal responsibility ("u must be eating wrong, living wrong, YOU must b at fault for not being perfect") when the real issue is that everyone should have access to healthcare & b able to take off of work to care for their wellbeing and that's not the case— mitski (@mitskileaks) September 10, 2018
She also expressed frustration that her words had been misconstrued.
apparently this is being read as "LOL I have MONEY for BEAUTY now" No- I'm talking abt how I as a working musician couldn't afford healthcare/to take any time off to get well till now, +how being unable to go to a doctor is seen as a "choice"/ a matter of buying the right product https://t.co/yGxIb2Axrq— mitski (@mitskileaks) September 10, 2018
“Apparently this is being read as ‘LOL I have MONEY for BEAUTY now,'” she wrote. “No – I’m talking abt how I as a working musician couldn’t afford healthcare/to take any time off to get well till now, +how being unable to go to a doctor is seen as a ‘choice’/ a matter of buying the right product.”
Eventually, Mitski threw her hands up and called the whole conversation a mistake.
Forget it, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have opened my mouth in the first place— mitski (@mitskileaks) September 10, 2018
Her fans begged to differ.
YOU SAID WHAT NEEDED TO BE SAID!! WE LOVE YOU.— ᴀʟᴇxᴀɴᴅʀᴀ ᴡʜɪᴛɴᴇʏ (@iskandrah) September 10, 2018
With “low-cost” healthcare premiums reaching north of $500 a month in cities like New York and Philadelphia, it’s no surprise fans were relieved to hear her tell the truth.
Thanks for telling it like it is, Mitski. Your self-love and self-care Twitter truths are the soothing balm we all need right now.
Nayomi Reghay is a frequent contributor to the Daily Dot, covering body positivity, feminism, sex, relationships, and gender. She is also the author of the advice column “Swipe This!” A former New York Teaching Fellow, her writing has been featured in Reductress, Rolling Stone, Mic, Someecards, and more.