- Barstool Sports founder under investigation for anti-union tweets 7 Years Ago
- Harmony Korine’s ‘The Beach Bum’ is now streaming on Hulu 7 Years Ago
- How an Instagram feud led to the death of 9-year-old girl Today 11:08 AM
- A scarier ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ extended director’s cut is coming to Blu-ray Today 9:15 AM
- The 9 best podcasts for kids that entertain and educate Today 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! Why does my BFF get more likes on Instagram than me? Today 6:00 AM
- The 25 Tom Cruise movies that are essential viewing Today 6:00 AM
- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
- Behold: 12 straight hours of ‘Stranger Things” Alexei drinking a Slurpee Saturday 2:05 PM
- Influencer couple under fire for using holy water to splash genitals in Bali Saturday 1:29 PM
- These are the 10 best villains DC comics has ever conceived Saturday 1:11 PM
- The Daily Wire accused of stealing art design from pop artist for its merchandise Saturday 12:09 PM
- Instagram model Rianne Meijer on keeping it real with her followers Saturday 10:52 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Leicester City Saturday 8:30 AM
#SignsYoSonIsGay: LGBT community reclaims trending topic
What started as a hurtful hashtag turning into an inspirational cause for the LGBT community.
A hurtful attempt by homophobes to deride gay people on Twitter backfired when the LGBT community commandeered the topic as their own.
Late Thursday night, #SignsYoSonIsGay began trending with hurtful jokes and comments about gay people. But over the course of a few hours, more and more people used the hashtag to celebrate LGBT people and their accomplishments.
The hashtag has been used more than 19,000 tweets, according to social analytics tool Topsy, and all of the most retweeted tweets on the topic are gay-positive. Check out how it happened in our Storify.
Photo by Lauren Orsini
Lauren Rae Orsini is a web culture reporter who specializes in anime and the business of fandom. Her work has been published by Forbes and Business Insider.