- How to stream Atletico Madrid vs. Bayer Leverkusen in the Champions League Monday 11:00 PM
- Russian bots targeting Joe Biden on Instagram Monday 10:04 PM
- TikTok takes down 2 dozen ISIS accounts being used for recruitment Monday 9:38 PM
- British judge refuses to delay WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange’s extradition hearing Monday 8:01 PM
- Indicted Giuliani associate Lev Parnas’ private Instagram filled with Trump connections Monday 7:22 PM
- ‘Bomboclaat’ is the new ‘sco pa tu manaa’ Monday 7:00 PM
- Lori Harvey reportedly trying to walk away from car crash spawns memes Monday 6:00 PM
- In Netflix’s ‘Upstarts,’ Silicon Valley CEOs are the good guys Monday 4:35 PM
- This video of a tree struck by lightning is… relatable? Monday 4:13 PM
- How to watch ‘Keeping Faith’ Monday 3:37 PM
- ‘South Park’ at the center of $500 million streaming war Monday 3:16 PM
- Pizza Hut and Papa John’s employees pranked into talking to each other on the phone Monday 2:34 PM
- Twitter bullies brought Jordan Peterson to tears Monday 2:24 PM
- 25 last-minute Halloween costumes for those with no time to shop Monday 1:30 PM
- Krassensteins return to Twitter and are immediately suspended Monday 1:01 PM
#SignsYoSonIsGay: LGBT community reclaims trending topic
What started as a hurtful hashtag turning into an inspirational cause for the LGBT community.
A hurtful attempt by homophobes to deride gay people on Twitter backfired when the LGBT community commandeered the topic as their own.
Late Thursday night, #SignsYoSonIsGay began trending with hurtful jokes and comments about gay people. But over the course of a few hours, more and more people used the hashtag to celebrate LGBT people and their accomplishments.
The hashtag has been used more than 19,000 tweets, according to social analytics tool Topsy, and all of the most retweeted tweets on the topic are gay-positive. Check out how it happened in our Storify.
Photo by Lauren Orsini
Lauren Rae Orsini is a web culture reporter who specializes in anime and the business of fandom. Her work has been published by Forbes and Business Insider.