- Area 51 remix video proves it’s the summer of Lil Nas X 2 Years Ago
- ‘ICE will come’: Convenience store clerk threatens customers speaking Spanish 2 Years Ago
- Rand Paul dodges questions about 9/11 Victims Fund, says ‘watch Fox News’ 2 Years Ago
- Report: ‘Stranger Things’ season 4 to begin shooting in October Today 11:03 AM
- AT&T paid Michael Cohen to consult on net neutrality, FBI documents show Today 9:10 AM
- Mysterio’s ruse changes on a second viewing of ‘Far From Home’ Today 9:06 AM
- Twitter overturns Barrett Brown’s third permanent suspension Today 8:49 AM
- How to live stream Liga MX Today 7:56 AM
- The QBaby’s parents are already trying to profit off their kid’s fame Today 7:45 AM
- How do 4DX movies work? Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Terminator 2’s John Connor will return for ‘Terminator: Dark Fate’ Today 6:41 AM
- What are all these ‘Game of Thrones’ fans supposed to do now? Today 6:00 AM
- The new ‘Cats’ trailer is here to make you want to claw your eyes out Thursday 7:59 PM
- Bella Thorne claims Tana Mongeau ‘broke girl code’ in a series of messy tweets Thursday 7:00 PM
- Redditors keep this data engineer’s plants alive for him Thursday 5:20 PM
Serena Williams’ pregnant ‘Vanity Fair’ cover could not be more iconic
Let us all bask in her pregnant glory.
On Tuesday, world’s greatest tennis star and unparalleled goddess Serena Williams unleashed upon the world her Vanity Fair cover, in which she bared a pregnant side-profile for iconic photographer Annie Leibovitz. And, my god, the internet WAS NOT READY.
With her hair billowing behind her, shoulders dropped, head high, and protruding belly accented with a jeweled body chain, Williams is untouchable, exuding strength and pride. And yet her portrait cannot be done justice with a reaction of adjectives alone.
Here are 15 ways Twitter is reacting to Williams’ pregnant Vanity Fair cover, emoji and gifs running rampant with adoration and excitement.
Of course, Williams is an absolute queen.
Mother Earth, even.
Iconic is right. Exquisite. This is the image in my head when I consider the Earth Mother men worshipped before they abandoned her.— WH Occupied Day 158 (@DogBoneStudio) June 27, 2017
Or perhaps, the greatest otherworldly person of all time.
Your GOAT isn't an actual goddess sent to bless this planet? Can't relate. https://t.co/6lY28Frkoe— Michael Whitlow (@couldbelikemike) June 27, 2017
C’mon, her baby is definitely a demigod.
This is so stunning beautiful I'm just going to assume that she's pregnant with a ray of light. https://t.co/lTVtRa1zLy— Geraldine (@everywhereist) June 27, 2017
At least a princess, for sure.
Slay us, we are yours QUEEN! Melanin poppn! Cant wait for the fruits of your majesty! I think a beautiful strong princess is growing there! https://t.co/j4O1LanvjL— Athi Mtongana (@Artii_M) June 27, 2017
Or, perhaps, Williams’ babe is a savior all their own?
Some of your fans are calling him Messiah, so I will go with a male 😉😊— All Things Serena (@all_serena) June 27, 2017
And then there are the gifs. Loads and loads of gifs.
Really, Williams must have known she was throwing a wrench into this entire work week with that photo.
How am I supposed to function with all my edges snatched via this beautiful magazine cover! Uggghh— Adena Andrews (@adena_andrews) June 27, 2017
I mean, anything to be like the reigning tennis champion, amirite?
I want to have a baby now https://t.co/t1dIYnB2e5— Ashley C. Ford (@iSmashFizzle) June 27, 2017
However, despite Twitter running aflame with the announcement of Williams’ pregnancy photo shoot, the athlete’s news was minimally, if not barely, rained upon by retired tennis player John McEnroe, who said two days prior that if Williams “played the men’s circuit, she’d be like 700 in the world.” While Williams clapped back in the most classy way possible, her later-unveiled magazine cover had several people defending her while insulting McEnroe.
I hope girl just so your baby is guaranteed to be smarter than John McEnroe.— Use Your Imagination (@RitaJKing) June 27, 2017
whichever it is, I bet it could beat John McEnroe— Steve Manfred (@DrWhoScholar) June 27, 2017
Misogynoir Madness as usual today because Serena Williams continues to have the audacity to be talented, a woman and black all at once.— Jourdain N. Searles (@riotglasses) June 27, 2017
Serena Williams’ consistent greatness will always make insecure men reveal themselves, but it will never detract from said greatness.— Play Vicious (@ItsPlayVicious) June 27, 2017
Williams is a reckoning force, and her baby? Well, that child will more than likely be a prodigy of its own, too.
Samantha Grasso is a former IRL staff writer for the Daily Dot with a reporting emphasis on immigration. Her work has appeared on Los Angeles Magazine, Death And Taxes, Revelist, Texts From Last Night, Austin Monthly, and she has previously contributed to Texas Monthly.