- New bill wants tech companies to tell you how much your data is worth 2 Years Ago
- AOC has the best response to Steve King’s ‘concentration camp’ criticism 2 Years Ago
- Did Jake Paul and Tana Mongeau just get engaged? Today 9:26 AM
- Leaked documents reveal all the ‘red flags’ about Trump officials Today 9:02 AM
- Elon Musk, who wants to colonize space, thought the moon was Mars Today 8:56 AM
- How to watch ‘Legion’ for free Today 8:46 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Bolívar’ reduces hero’s tale to irredeemable melodrama Today 8:18 AM
- How to watch the U.S. vs. Spain at the World Cup for free Today 7:55 AM
- How to watch ‘The Hills: New Beginnings’ for free Today 7:40 AM
- Inside the pornographic video game that took Kickstarter by storm Today 7:00 AM
- Why everyone wants to debate AOC, and no one wants to debate Ilhan Omar Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Trvl Channel online for free Today 5:30 AM
- Are we going to get a ‘Community’ movie on Netflix? Sunday 2:46 PM
- Kmitting social network bans all posts supporting Trump and his administration Sunday 2:07 PM
- YouTube is testing hiding its comments section Sunday 1:23 PM
Officer who tackled, hit a black man for jaywalking is now on leave
‘Oh my God, why you hitting him like that?’ a witness recalls.
According to the Associated Press, police say the officer tried to stop the man, identified as Nandi Cain Jr., after he was seen crossing a street illegally on Monday. The men began to argue, and the pedestrian challenged the officer to a fight. The officer then charged the man to take him into custody, throwing him on the ground and striking him in the face with his hands.
Cain’s girlfriend, Antoinette Stewart, told local news station affiliate FOX40 that she could see Cain cutting across a street on the walk home from his manager job, but that he has no arrest record.
Naomi Montaie, a witness who lives in Cain’s and Stewart’s apartment complex, recorded the altercation starting from just before the officer charged at Cain. In the video, Cain is seen taking his jacket off and dropping it to the ground behind him before flashing his palms to the officer. The officer appears to be speaking to dispatch before charging at Cain. After the tackle and strikes, the officer and a second cop arrest Cain as other officers slowly join the scene.
Posted by Naomi Montaie on Monday, April 10, 2017
Montaie later posted the video to Facebook, telling FOX40 that she was in shock. When officers questioned her after the incident, they told Montaie they were trying to stop Cain for jaywalking.
A Sacramento police spokesperson didn’t confirm Cain’s identity or his offense to FOX40, and also didn’t say if there are body or dashboard camera recordings of the arrest.
The police department told the Associated Press that the cop’s actions appear to show “unacceptable conduct.”
“I never witnessed anything like that. He just kept hitting him, and kept hitting him, and I was like, ‘Oh my God, why you hitting him like that? Why you hitting him like that? You need to stop hitting him,'” Montaie told FOX40. “Any human being don’t deserve that. Nobody deserves that.”
H/T the Root
Samantha Grasso is a former IRL staff writer for the Daily Dot with a reporting emphasis on immigration. Her work has appeared on Los Angeles Magazine, Death And Taxes, Revelist, Texts From Last Night, Austin Monthly, and she has previously contributed to Texas Monthly.