- Popular YouTube channel in danger of disappearing because of copyright claims 2 Years Ago
- The Krassensteins’ Reddit AMA gets trolled off the internet 2 Years Ago
- No, Trump didn’t break open the Pizzagate scandal in 2011 Today 11:23 AM
- Producer of anti-abortion film says Facebook refuses to run his ads Today 10:58 AM
- Ja Rule thinks he was also a victim of Fyre Fest Today 10:21 AM
- YouTube beef between RiceGum and H3H3 gets ugly—and personal Today 10:02 AM
- ‘Fox & Friends’ accidentally airs obituary graphic for Ruth Bader Ginsburg Today 9:40 AM
- Ocasio-Cortez helps Donkey Kong Twitch streamer raise money for trans rights Today 8:09 AM
- ‘Soni’ is a smart crime drama with poignant observations on inequality Today 7:00 AM
- How to watch ‘Arrow’ online for free Today 7:00 AM
- How a Barron Trump time traveling conspiracy keeps going viral Today 6:30 AM
- Swipe This! Will I be happier if I quit social media? Today 6:30 AM
- Free DVR makes Hulu with Live TV an even sweeter deal Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch ‘Black Lightning’ online for free Today 5:30 AM
- This ‘scientist’ learned what women find attractive by A/B testing his beard on Tinder Today 5:00 AM
Officer who tackled, hit a black man for jaywalking is now on leave
‘Oh my God, why you hitting him like that?’ a witness recalls.
According to the Associated Press, police say the officer tried to stop the man, identified as Nandi Cain Jr., after he was seen crossing a street illegally on Monday. The men began to argue, and the pedestrian challenged the officer to a fight. The officer then charged the man to take him into custody, throwing him on the ground and striking him in the face with his hands.
Cain’s girlfriend, Antoinette Stewart, told local news station affiliate FOX40 that she could see Cain cutting across a street on the walk home from his manager job, but that he has no arrest record.
Naomi Montaie, a witness who lives in Cain’s and Stewart’s apartment complex, recorded the altercation starting from just before the officer charged at Cain. In the video, Cain is seen taking his jacket off and dropping it to the ground behind him before flashing his palms to the officer. The officer appears to be speaking to dispatch before charging at Cain. After the tackle and strikes, the officer and a second cop arrest Cain as other officers slowly join the scene.
Posted by Naomi Montaie on Monday, April 10, 2017
Montaie later posted the video to Facebook, telling FOX40 that she was in shock. When officers questioned her after the incident, they told Montaie they were trying to stop Cain for jaywalking.
A Sacramento police spokesperson didn’t confirm Cain’s identity or his offense to FOX40, and also didn’t say if there are body or dashboard camera recordings of the arrest.
The police department told the Associated Press that the cop’s actions appear to show “unacceptable conduct.”
“I never witnessed anything like that. He just kept hitting him, and kept hitting him, and I was like, ‘Oh my God, why you hitting him like that? Why you hitting him like that? You need to stop hitting him,'” Montaie told FOX40. “Any human being don’t deserve that. Nobody deserves that.”
H/T the Root
Samantha Grasso is a former IRL staff writer for the Daily Dot with a reporting emphasis on immigration. Her work has appeared on Los Angeles Magazine, Death And Taxes, Revelist, Texts From Last Night, Austin Monthly, and she has previously contributed to Texas Monthly.