- Devin Nunes is suing Twitter over parody accounts of his mom, cow Monday 8:15 PM
- The best new movies at SXSW 2019 Monday 7:55 PM
- #AbledsAreWeird demonstrates how not to treat people with disabilities Monday 7:33 PM
- YouTubers keep uploading racist meme anthem played by New Zealand shooter Monday 5:38 PM
- Myspace confirms that a decade-plus of user-uploaded music is gone Monday 5:03 PM
- ‘Love, Death & Robots’ suffers from blatant sexism Monday 4:38 PM
- Khloe Kardashian faces backlash for Instagram post saying to ‘love thy racist neighbor’ Monday 4:07 PM
- This Twitter user wants to expose white YouTubers for racist, transphobic content Monday 3:55 PM
- Trump retweeted a QAnon supporter during his Twitter bender Monday 1:24 PM
- Katrina Pierson supports Trump tweeting more about Fox than New Zealand shooting Monday 1:19 PM
- PewDiePie’s alt-right ties are impossible to ignore Monday 1:05 PM
- With this blade, I protect this meme Monday 12:48 PM
- Lead actress in ‘The Color Purple’ revival criticized for homophobic post Monday 12:39 PM
- ‘Arrested Development’ ends the same way it did the first time—unceremoniously Monday 12:10 PM
- Alleged gunman tried to rob YouTuber Adam22 during livestream Monday 11:32 AM
SCOTUS/Oyez (Public Domain)
Four days after undergoing cancer surgery, Supreme Court Justice Ruther Bader Ginsburg has been released from the hospital, and the internet is celebrating her health.
Ginsburg on Friday underwent surgery at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York City to remove two cancerous nodules from the lobes of her lung. Supporters of the justice freaked out on Twitter, offering emotional support through prayers and well wishes, and physical support through offers of lung donations.
The surgery went well. Ginsburg’s surgeon said the nodules she removed were malignant, and there were no other signs of disease in the justice’s body. She stayed in the hospital over the weekend and was released to continue her recovery at home on Christmas Day.
People on the internet are celebrating the good news, with some lauding it as a Christmas miracle.
— Shamini Selvaratnam (@shaminis) December 26, 2018
— The Wintering Inamorata ⛱🥂💃 (@LisaLisa1908) December 26, 2018
For many, it is yet another reminder of how badass Ginsburg is. She even voted against President Donald Trump’s asylum ban from her hospital bed only a couple of days ago.
— J.j. (@Jj85577470) December 25, 2018
— Tarcia Smith Bush (@TarciaB) December 26, 2018
People also expressed anxiety over seeing her name trending and relief that the news was good.
Anyone else get super nervous whenever Ruth Bader Ginsburg is trending? #NotoriousRBG
— Should Auld Mel-Quaintance Be Forgot… (@startabuzz) December 26, 2018
— Annalee Perez (@Annalee_Perez) December 26, 2018
Ginsburg is a strong liberal voice on the Supreme Court, and at the age of 85 many people worry that health issues may stop her from continuing to serve. She has stated that she has no intention of retiring any time soon, but her health scares in recent months have put progressives on edge. Ginsburg was hospitalized in November when she fell and broke three ribs but only stayed a few days before returning to work then as well.
If Ginsburg leaves the bench in the next two years it would give Trump the opportunity to appoint a third justice, but for now, she seems to be healthier than you would ever expect for an 85-year-old woman recovering from broken ribs and surgery.
H/T Buzzfeed News
Alex Dalbey is a writer and zinester currently working out of St. Paul, Minnesota. They have bylines at The Daily Dot, Kill Screen, and Bullet Points. Follow them on Twitter @thedialogtree