- How to uninstall the Epic Games Launcher (for real) 2 Months Ago
- How to watch the Indianapolis 500 online for free 2 Months Ago
- Ohio KKK rally met with massive counter-protest and witty signs from local businesses Saturday 5:06 PM
- Guy who said he stole drugs from MS-13 now says viral story is fake Saturday 4:07 PM
- Financial service company left 885 million private records exposed online Saturday 3:13 PM
- Sasha Obama went to prom and Twitter is delighted with the photos Saturday 2:22 PM
- Jon Voight says Trump is the greatest president since Lincoln in Twitter videos Saturday 1:31 PM
- #DeleteFacebook gains momentum after the platform refused to remove doctored Nancy Pelosi videos Saturday 11:58 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ failed women—and it’s a shame on its legacy Saturday 7:40 AM
- How to use Tor, the network that lets you browse the web anonymously Saturday 7:30 AM
- How to live stream Devin Haney vs. Antonio Moran on DAZN Saturday 7:00 AM
- Trump’s transphobic policies are disgusting—but they aren’t new Saturday 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Copa del Rey Final online for free Saturday 5:45 AM
- How to watch the DFB-Pokal final for free Saturday 5:30 AM
- Curvy Wife Guy drops music video for rap song ‘Chubby Sexy’ Friday 7:33 PM
‘Daily Show’ writer does ASMR to ease your white guilt
‘*BLACK HAIR ON MICROPHONE.*’
“Welcome to ASMR for white liberals. It’s me, a real Black guy,” he begins in the whispery ASMR voice. “I’m here to help you get rid of some of that white guilt.”
ASMR for white liberals pic.twitter.com/ekSwe1rgaD
— Randall Otis (@RandallOtisTV) March 27, 2019
The video is obviously dripping in sarcasm and satirizing the performative allyship exhibited by white liberals. It’s also a parody of Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response, or more commonly known as ASMR, the internet phenomenon where people make calming noises with their mouths or by using objects to help people relax or fall asleep.
YouTubers do this by using a variety of sounds and objects, like softly reading passages from books; tapping or scratching things, like a microphone; and even chomping down on some food. These are all called “triggers” in the ASMR world.
Otis got creative and rubbed his hair on the microphone to create a relaxing noise, with the caption: “*BLACK HAIR ON MICROPHONE.*”
“You hear that? That’s the sound of the hair you’ve always wanted to touch,” Otis says. “And we love it. We love it when you do that. None of us think it’s weird. It’s pretty dope.”
At this moment, most viewers lost it.
saving this image pic.twitter.com/LP9Jso4lfa
— Reluctant Exister (@IriathZhul) March 27, 2019
“’Black hair’ Tell my Mom to bury me in my Gucci slides,” Twitter user @jtp4eva wrote.
Tell my Mom to bury me in my Gucci slides.🤣🤣🤣
— Cool Auntie Joyce🍷🍷🍷 (@jtp4eva) March 27, 2019
That's how I died tell my family.
— will broussard (@DeadLecturer) March 27, 2019
This is the point where I LOST IT. pic.twitter.com/DptIEiknbE
— bettylies (@BettyLies) March 27, 2019
Otis also made soothing sounds by tapping on a trophy. “You hear that? That’s the sound of the trophy you deserve for not being racist,” Otis says in the video. “Good for you. We’re so proud of you. You’re such a good person. You’re better than the rest of them. We love you.”
Otis brought the controversial movie Green Book into the mix. “Green Book was a good movie. It’s the best movie since Crash,” he declares in the video. He also stated it’s impossible to be a racist if you’ve had sex with a Black person and announced that it’s OK to talk like a Black teen online. “Yas Qween. Yas Qween,” he says while clapping into the mic.
Otis signed off the video with a hypothetical question: “Remember, if you say the N-word and no one hears it, did you really say it?”
Twitter user @luckydoghot has a good idea for the next one. “Can we also get an ASMR for Black conservatives?” they asked. “‘Your family will speak to you again one day… White conservatives see you as an equal, & would never call you an N behind your back.'”
Can we also get an ASMR for black conservatives?
“The pay is worth the betrayal”
“Your family will speak to you again one day”
“White conservatives see you as an equal, & would never call you an N behind your back”
“Your loyalty will be meaningful when the white purge happens”
— Lucky Dog Hot Sauce (@luckydoghot) March 27, 2019
- People are baffled by this ‘average’ budget of $500K a year
- The LGBTQ and Black communities deserve real answers about the Jussie Smollett case
- Rapper Tone Loc detained after confronting teen in Confederate flag hat
Eilish O'Sullivan is an editorial intern for the Daily Dot studying journalism and government at the University of Texas at Austin. Her work has appeared in the Austin Chronicle and the Daily Texan.