- This Twitter account is parodying Amazon customer service Thursday 8:52 PM
- How to live stream Oleksandr Gvozdyk vs. Artur Beterbiev Thursday 7:00 PM
- Shaggy says an online scammer is impersonating him Thursday 6:53 PM
- IRL Barbie Malibu Dreamhouse available to rent on Airbnb Thursday 6:16 PM
- Men’s Humor trolled for unknowingly tweeting Grindr conversation Thursday 5:29 PM
- How to stream Dominick Reyes vs. Chris Weidman Thursday 5:00 PM
- Jennifer Aniston had a finsta before officially joining Instagram Thursday 4:35 PM
- Facebook denies moderating comments under Zuckerberg’s big free speech live stream Thursday 2:38 PM
- ‘My headphones’ meme proves our music is sadder than we look Thursday 1:53 PM
- ‘Time for an upgrade’ meme shows Kamala Harris’ team is too online Thursday 1:35 PM
- Prison guards reportedly mocked trans inmates in private Facebook groups Thursday 1:33 PM
- Gradient is the new celebrity look-alike app winning over influencers Thursday 12:46 PM
- Trolls accuse cosplayer of ‘appropriating’ Joker culture (updated) Thursday 12:28 PM
- Every Studio Ghibli movie will stream exclusively on HBO Max Thursday 12:24 PM
- ‘Stranger Things’ season 3 saw its highest viewer numbers yet Thursday 12:01 PM
Florida politician resigns after photo shows him dressed as Katrina victim in blackface
He was just appointed secretary of state weeks ago.
Florida Secretary of State Michael Ertel resigned on Thursday after photos surfaced of him dressed up at a Hurricane Katrina victim in blackface at a Halloween party in 2005.
The issue is particularly sensitive given the discussion surrounding race in the aftermath of Katrina. At least 1,000 people died in the devastating hurricane, and “poor, mostly black New Orleans residents” were disproportionally affected. Many Black survivors also alleged that racism played a role in the slow response time. In a national survey conducted a month after the disaster, about two-thirds of African Americans said the response would’ve been faster if “most of the victims had been white.”
According to the Tallahassee Democrat, Ertel, then a Seminole County Supervisor of Election, dressed up wearing blackface, red lipstick, and a t-shirt that read “Katrina victim” two months after the hurricane. The photo surfaced online on Thursday, just hours after he had testified before a House committee about the 2018 election. He admitted to the Democrat that it was indeed him in the photo. He did not respond to the Daily Dot’s request for comment.
Ertel was appointed secretary of state by newly elected Gov. Ron DeSantis just weeks ago. By Thursday afternoon, he sent in his resignation, according to the Democrat, and the governor’s office accepted it.
Samira Sadeque is a New York-based journalist reporting on immigration, sexual violence, and mental health, and will sometimes write about memes and dinosaurs too. Her work also appears in Reuters, NPR, and NBC among other publications. She graduated from Columbia Journalism School, and her work has been nominated for SAJA awards. Follow: @Samideque