- Minions memes are more popular than the far-right on Telegram 4 Years Ago
- ‘Best of Nextdoor’ reveals the true insanity of modern life 4 Years Ago
- How to watch ‘Jeopardy’ for free Today 7:00 AM
- There’s a water bottle hiding in the ‘Game of Thrones’ finale Today 6:46 AM
- What happens to Disney’s Loki TV series after ‘Avengers: Endgame’? Today 6:30 AM
- Brienne writing Jaime’s history is the best meme from the ‘Game of Thrones’ finale Today 6:25 AM
- How to stream live TV on PlayStation 4 Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch Disney XD online for free Today 5:30 AM
- Who survived the ‘Game of Thrones’ series finale? Sunday 10:21 PM
- Justin Bieber fans are damaging one of Iceland’s top tourist spots Sunday 1:28 PM
- James Charles drops 41-minute response video to Tati Westbrook’s accusations Sunday 1:15 PM
- Watch what happens when this Twitch streamer quits his job on camera Sunday 12:25 PM
- Men are finally sharing their abortion stories Sunday 10:58 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Maria’ is a trigger-happy B-movie Sunday 9:07 AM
- How to stream Money in the Bank 2019 for free Sunday 9:00 AM
The institution is dropping nudity to appeal to a younger crowd.
Yesterday, Playboy magazine announced it will do away with nudity in their print edition. It’s the equivalent of Vogue saying they’re not really that into fashion anymore, or the Audubon Society saying “fuck birds.” The Playboy website already stopped publishing fully nude photos in August of last year in order to not be blocked on social media platforms. According to executives quoted by the New York Times, “the average age of [Playboy‘s] reader dropped from 47 to just over 30, and its web traffic jumped to about 16 million from about four million unique users per month.”
Now that Playboy is stopping nudes where will everyone go to see gently-tufted, soft-focus landing strips?
— Manda LikeBowie (@Manda_like_wine) October 13, 2015
Playboy to Only Publish Nude Photos of Me
— Kris Straub (@krisstraub) October 13, 2015
wait they still print playboy
— Andrea Grimes (@andreagrimes) October 13, 2015
To keep its appeal to the young man of today, Playboy is going through a lot more changes, such as hiring a “sex positive female” sex columnist, and expanding their liquor coverage.
That’s a great start, Playboy! But if you really want to get the millennials viraling your #content, here are some other ideas.
- Create a list of the 100 cutest Playboy bunnies, but they’re actually bunnies.
- Instead of a beautiful woman, replace the centerfold with photos from a vape competition.
- Uber but for nudes.
- Make Kendra Wilkinson take LSD in Gaza because you’re totally edgy now.
- Only release Playboy on vinyl.
- Showcase women of a variety of sizes, races, and other identities on the regular (this would actually be cool!).
- Make every model pose on a hoverboard.
- Cease all operations besides Snapchat.
Good luck, guys!
Image via Flickr/mager (CC by SA 2.0)
Jaya Saxena is a lifestyle writer and editor whose work focuses primarily on women's issues and web culture. Her writing has appeared in GQ, ELLE, the Toast, the New Yorker, Tthe Hairpin, BuzzFeed, Racked, Eater, Catapult, and others. She is the co-author of 'Dad Magazine,' the author of 'The Book Of Lost Recipes,' and the co-author of 'Basic Witches.'