- How to stream Chelsea vs. Leicester City Today 8:30 AM
- Florida man arrested after allegedly texting girlfriend his mass shooting plans Today 8:27 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Celta Vigo Today 8:20 AM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Vikings in NFL preseason action Today 8:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chiefs in NFL preseason action Today 6:30 AM
- Chuck E. Cheese recycles pizza is the conspiracy theory that won’t die Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs Rams in NFL preseason action Today 6:00 AM
- Cómo ver el UFC 241: Daniel Cormier vs. Stipe Miocic Today 6:00 AM
- How to live stream UFC 241: Daniel Cormier vs. Stipe Miocic Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Tottenham Hotspur Friday 6:59 PM
- QAnon supporters claim they couldn’t sport Q attire at Trump rally Friday 5:52 PM
- How to stream Southampton vs. Liverpool Friday 4:55 PM
- See when and where your team plays: The 2019 NFL preseason schedule Friday 4:51 PM
- Twitter is testing a feature that would hide offensive DMs you receive Friday 4:19 PM
- How to stream Arsenal vs. Burnley Friday 4:15 PM
Planned Parenthood announced on Wednesday that Dr. Leana Wen will serve as the organization’s president as the position changes hands for the first time in almost five decades.
Wen, a 35-year-old physician and healthcare advocate, is currently serving as the health commissioner for the city of Baltimore until she takes on her new position with Planned Parenthood.
In a video announcement shared on Twitter, Wen wrote, “I’m ready to take on this fight with everything I have, and am proud to stand alongside millions of [Planned Parenthood] supporters as we embark on this next chapter together.”
In the video posted by Planned Parenthood, Wen talks about immigrating from China at 8-years-old and later working as an emergency room doctor. “We came to the US with $40 to our name,” Wen said. “We depended on Medicaid and food stamps, and also Planned Parenthood for healthcare.”
Wen also recollects a story about a woman who had attempted a home abortion during her time as an emergency room doctor. “I did everything I could to resuscitate her, but she died,” Wen says in the video. “In the ER, I saw what happens every day when people don’t have access to the basic right to healthcare.”
Wen’s personal and professional history has resonated with people online who are praising her promotion to Planned Parenthood for numerous reasons, including her previous work as the health commissioner of Baltimore and her experiences as a Chinese immigrant. Wen also successfully sued the Trump administration for cutting funding to health education in Baltimore.
Planned Parenthood has a new president who she ticks all the necessary boxes:— Obianuju Ekeocha (@obianuju) September 12, 2018
She talks about her passion to fight for “the most vulnerable”.
FACT: No one is more vulnerable than defenseless unborn babies. https://t.co/GgSCzvN71a
Leana Wen, the new president of Planned Parenthood, helped bring infant mortality in Baltimore down to its lowest rate on record + saved sex education programs so I’d say she’s singlehandedly prevented more infant deaths and abortions than any of you hypocritical motherfuckers.— Savannah Skeath (@savannahskeath) September 12, 2018
The new President of Planned Parenthood is Dr. Leana Wen, an emergency room doctor and former Baltimore Health Commissioner.— Rachel R. Gonzalez (@RachelGonKCMO) September 12, 2018
Dr. Leana Wen is only 35 years old.
She’s a young woman of color and immigrant that is taking over one of the nation's largest health providers. pic.twitter.com/nY2o7M196b
Wen will officially take her position as Planned Parenthood president on Nov. 12.
Alexis Tatum studies journalism at the University of Texas at Austin. She's an editorial intern with the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in Orange magazine and the Daily Texan.