- If you have doubts about HBO’s ‘Watchmen,’ give it more time Sunday 9:00 PM
- Video shows moment coach disarmed student of shotgun, then hugged him Sunday 7:38 PM
- Jared Leto reportedly tried to stop ‘Joker’ from happening Sunday 4:12 PM
- People are grossed out by cow insemination-themed pregnancy announcement Sunday 3:13 PM
- Major protests in Lebanon triggered by plan to tax WhatsApp calls Sunday 1:38 PM
- Frank Ocean’s $60 HIV prevention drug-themed shirts called tone-deaf Sunday 12:49 PM
- ‘Joker’ stairs latest Instagram spot; locals joke about potential robberies Sunday 10:30 AM
- PewDiePie banned in China after reacting to Winnie the Pooh memes Sunday 8:46 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Eagles on Sunday Night Football Sunday 7:00 AM
- How to stream Chargers vs. Titans in Week 7 Sunday 6:00 AM
- 13 spooky romance games for adults Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 9 Sunday 5:00 AM
- How to stream Impact Wrestling’s Bound For Glory Sunday 5:00 AM
- How to stream Bills vs. Dolphins in Week 7 Sunday 4:30 AM
- How to stream Jaguars vs. Bengals in Week 7 Sunday 4:00 AM
Two brief moments in Toy Story 4 show a lesbian couple with their child—and the anti-LGBTQ group One Million Moms is outraged.
Toy Story 4 has been well received by audiences across the globe since it hit theaters late last month, topping the box office in multiple countries and holding an impressive 98% on Rotten Tomatoes. Some people going in were concerned about the implications of the new character Forky, a spork overcome with a lack of self-purpose after Woody’s owner, Bonnie, makes him into a toy.
However, some people thought the most disturbing part of the movie wasn’t Forky’s existential implications but a lesbian couple that appears for only a few seconds in two scenes. PinkNews reports that the anti-LGBTQ fundamentalist Christian group One Million Moms called the inclusion of a lesbian couple a “subtle but obvious promotion of the LGBTQ lifestyle.”
The group has a petition to chastise Disney for this inclusion that has only managed to garner 12,500 signatures in over a week.
The group claims that Disney purposefully kept the background detail quiet in order to blindside families and “expose as many children as possible.” The scenes show the couple dropping off their child at school, then later in the movie, picking them up from school and hugging them. In both of these scenes, the family is in the background, and the characters have no lines.
One Million Moms claims that people are being “blindsided” by this inclusion, but there are many people on Twitter who were quite happy to see a same-sex couple with a kid in a Disney movie. Some have noted that Disney likely didn’t find the scene worth mentioning in promotion of the movie because it’s only briefly visible.
prior to seeing toy story 4 id seen some article being like "toy story 4 lesbian scene has conservatives PISSED" and i was like... its a two second shot of some kid in the background having two moms isnt it. and i was Exactly right— yasha come home (@nautolans) July 10, 2019
People are upset that there’s a lesbian couple in Toy Story 4 literally dropping their kid off at school.— Soraya (@keyboardspamsk) July 7, 2019
Are you fucking kidding me. You guys really can’t accept people for who they are huh.
Stop being scared to teach your kids that LGBTQ+ couples/people are ok.
Toy Story 4 treats this LGBTQ family as inconsequential as any other group of background characters, and One Million Moms says that the normalization is “exactly why 1MM finds this to be so dangerous.”
- How 4 teens’ cellphones exposed their involvement in a hate crime
- Man arrested for licking ice cream, inspired by original ‘Blue Bell licker’
- A viral video of a Disneyland family brawl has become subject to memes
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Alex Dalbey is a writer and zinester currently living in Saint Paul, Minnesota. They have written for The Daily Dot, Kill Screen, The Lingerie Addict, and Bullet Points.