- What is “TikTok including Musical.ly”? Tuesday 8:48 PM
- Video shows driver yelling N-word at Black woman in road rage incident Tuesday 7:40 PM
- A fan gifted Billie Eilish a jacket–it ended up in a thrift store for another fan to find Tuesday 6:49 PM
- Fans are surprisingly hyping Moby up for his new vegan tattoo Tuesday 6:13 PM
- Suspicionless searches of travelers’ electronics ruled unconstitutional Tuesday 5:22 PM
- Facebook testing TikTok clone within Instagram called Reels Tuesday 5:11 PM
- Han Solo shooting scene changed yet again, spawning ‘Maclunkey’ memes Tuesday 4:52 PM
- Facebook bug opened iPhone cameras while users scrolled their feeds Tuesday 4:36 PM
- Black Facebook employees say company racism has ‘gotten worse’ Tuesday 4:01 PM
- This fish with a ‘human face’ is here to give you nightmares Tuesday 3:28 PM
- TikTok’s piercing challenge leaves the fate of your face up to a filter Tuesday 2:54 PM
- Soldiers with top-secret clearance say they were ordered to install a sketchy app Tuesday 2:46 PM
- How to take your Korean beauty routine on the go Tuesday 2:24 PM
- Disney+’s ‘Encore!’ is a love letter to high school theater Tuesday 2:15 PM
- White tourist filmed shouting homophobic, racist slurs Tuesday 1:31 PM
This “OCD Love Poem” is heartbreaking but beautiful
It’s not everyday a love poem goes viral on Reddit, but the “OCD Love Poem” is not an average poem.
Written and performed by Neil Hilburn, the poem is stunningly emotional and excellently recited. Hilburn, who has been performing slam poetry for five years, recorded “OCD Love Poem” at an event called Rustbelt 2013 in Madison, Wis.
Hilburn recounts the sad tale of falling in love with a girl who quiets his tics and finds his obsessive compulsive disorder charming: He kisses her 18 times, checks the locks frequently, and avoids cracks walking down her street.
But then, she grows tired and resentful of his ways, and she leaves. What happens next is heartbreaking.
The video had such an impact on Reddit’s that Hilburn himself arrived to do an impromptu Ask Me Anything (AMA) session.
He answered questions in the comments about his OCD diagnosis, his therapy, his experience with slam poetry, and whether or not he got his girl back.
“You know,” he writes in the thread, “it’s been so long, I don’t really want her back.”
And that’s the best medicine.
Gaby Dunn is an actress, comedian, and blogger who covered YouTube for the Daily Dot. Since 2016, she’s hosted the podcast ‘Bad with Money,’ and operates a successful YouTube channel. Her writing has appeared in the New York Times, the Boston Globe, Vice, and Salon.