- Reddit wants to stop its pro-Trump forum from outing the alleged whistleblower 1 Year Ago
- White woman calls cops on man who said he was visiting aunt with his kids Today 3:12 PM
- ‘The Stranded’ is a flawed yet addictive blend of ‘Degrassi’ and ‘Lost’ Today 2:45 PM
- The ‘gonna tell my kids’ meme is revisionist history at its most absurd Today 2:24 PM
- Redditor asks former burglars to give home security tips Today 2:18 PM
- Facebook-Breitbart partnership under fire in wake of new Stephen Miller emails Today 2:00 PM
- John Krasinski under fire after praising the CIA Today 1:46 PM
- Conservatives melt down after Chick-fil-A says it will stop donating to anti-LGBTQ orgs Today 1:33 PM
- ‘Honey Boy’ is an experimental look at channeling trauma Today 1:28 PM
- Disney+ now allows users to resume and restart content Today 11:42 AM
- New York sues JUUL for marketing to teenagers Today 11:34 AM
- The new ‘Discworld’ TV series just gender-flipped several major characters Today 10:54 AM
- David Fincher is doing a ‘Chinatown’ prequel series, naturally Today 10:43 AM
- Congress thinks Facebook is misleading you about its location tracking Today 10:36 AM
- The cast and crew of ‘The Rise of Skywalker’ offer more teases on ‘Star Wars’ conclusion Today 10:34 AM
Part of growing up into adulthood means making your own decisions, and for better or for worse, sometimes young people choose to hide those decisions from their parents. The problem is, a lot of time, parents find out about those things anyway.
That’s exactly what happened to 20-year-old Sydney Allen, from Clearwater, Florida, who chose to get her nipples pierced for her birthday in June. Allen easily managed to hide the piercings from her mom—until a recent doctor’s appointment.
BuzzFeed News reports that Allen went in for a checkup on Tuesday for a spinal condition called syringomyelia, and an X-ray was part of the routine. It came as a huge shock to Allen that the X-ray revealed her nipple piercings, just as it would any metal. It came as an even bigger shock to her mom.
My mom found out I got my nipples pierced today pic.twitter.com/BCRE1dz68f
— Syd (@Sydney_allenn) October 23, 2018
“My mom saw my piercings as soon as the X-ray popped up and the doctor and I started laughing hysterically,” Allen told BuzzFeed News. She said her mom was less amused, looking silently at the image before saying (as so many moms have said before her), “We will discuss this later.”
Allen described her mom as “a bit conservative on appearances and hates tattoos and piercings,” adding that she was “visibly upset” at the X-ray. Luckily, she eventually came around.
“I was initially terrified when the X-ray came up, but she ended up being pretty understanding since no one can tell unless I show them,” Allen said.
The great irony, of course, is Allen then decided to share the story on Twitter, and it’s going viral. Others shared their reactions, and some even had similar stories.
Should’ve said you inhaled tiny dumbbells
— Stevelikeabee (@Scubba_Steve7) October 24, 2018
You must’ve been in the room after like pic.twitter.com/TliL3MPfiR
— Demetria Russell (@tiedye__feels) October 25, 2018
Girl, I feel ya pic.twitter.com/zOlfthrFHL
— ㅤgrim (@treefuzzz) October 24, 2018
Even more good news: As BuzzFeed News reports, Allen says her mom now sees the humor in the whole ordeal.
- Man says his 5-year-old son was threatened for wearing Hitler costume
- Beloved gay penguin couple welcomes adorable baby chick
- Hunter becomes the hunted after goat kill goes viral
H/T BuzzFeed News
Kris Seavers is the IRL editor for the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.