- NRA calls Beto O’Rourke ‘AR-15 salesman of the month’ in wake of buyback proposal 11 Months Ago
- After 23 deaths, Sean Bean is tired of getting killed on-screen 11 Months Ago
- Stephen Miller has a girlfriend—and people are stunned 11 Months Ago
- Mickey Rourke says Robert De Niro iced him out of ‘The Irishman’ Today 11:07 AM
- Conservative men are melting down over Elizabeth Warren’s speech Today 10:40 AM
- People are calling rapper Tekashi 69 a ‘snitch’ for outing gang members Today 10:16 AM
- Greta Thunberg tells Congress to ‘listen to the scientists’ about climate crisis Today 9:55 AM
- Maybe we should start taking Tom DeLonge seriously about UFOs Today 9:11 AM
- Get ready to argue about the alternate-history politics of HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ Today 8:53 AM
- Third instance of Justin Trudeau wearing racist makeup emerges after he apologized for first 2 Today 8:45 AM
- 6 must-watch college football games to stream this weekend Today 8:12 AM
- What is the Hinge dating app, and how does it work? Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Inside Bill’s Brain’ is nothing more than a Bill Gates infomercial Today 6:30 AM
- Swipe This! He hasn’t texted me back. Should I text him again? Today 6:00 AM
- New Loch Ness monster video may just confirm giant eel theory Wednesday 8:04 PM
Part of growing up into adulthood means making your own decisions, and for better or for worse, sometimes young people choose to hide those decisions from their parents. The problem is, a lot of time, parents find out about those things anyway.
That’s exactly what happened to 20-year-old Sydney Allen, from Clearwater, Florida, who chose to get her nipples pierced for her birthday in June. Allen easily managed to hide the piercings from her mom—until a recent doctor’s appointment.
BuzzFeed News reports that Allen went in for a checkup on Tuesday for a spinal condition called syringomyelia, and an X-ray was part of the routine. It came as a huge shock to Allen that the X-ray revealed her nipple piercings, just as it would any metal. It came as an even bigger shock to her mom.
My mom found out I got my nipples pierced today pic.twitter.com/BCRE1dz68f
— Syd (@Sydney_allenn) October 23, 2018
“My mom saw my piercings as soon as the X-ray popped up and the doctor and I started laughing hysterically,” Allen told BuzzFeed News. She said her mom was less amused, looking silently at the image before saying (as so many moms have said before her), “We will discuss this later.”
Allen described her mom as “a bit conservative on appearances and hates tattoos and piercings,” adding that she was “visibly upset” at the X-ray. Luckily, she eventually came around.
“I was initially terrified when the X-ray came up, but she ended up being pretty understanding since no one can tell unless I show them,” Allen said.
The great irony, of course, is Allen then decided to share the story on Twitter, and it’s going viral. Others shared their reactions, and some even had similar stories.
Should’ve said you inhaled tiny dumbbells
— Stevelikeabee (@Scubba_Steve7) October 24, 2018
You must’ve been in the room after like pic.twitter.com/TliL3MPfiR
— Demetria Russell (@tiedye__feels) October 25, 2018
Girl, I feel ya pic.twitter.com/zOlfthrFHL
— ㅤgrim (@treefuzzz) October 24, 2018
Even more good news: As BuzzFeed News reports, Allen says her mom now sees the humor in the whole ordeal.
- Man says his 5-year-old son was threatened for wearing Hitler costume
- Beloved gay penguin couple welcomes adorable baby chick
- Hunter becomes the hunted after goat kill goes viral
H/T BuzzFeed News
Kris Seavers is the IRL editor for the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.