- This woman said Hillary Clinton losing the 2016 election gave her PTSD, and people are furious Monday 6:45 PM
- Vanessa Bryant files a lawsuit against helicopter company after deaths of Kobe and Gianna Monday 5:49 PM
- Michael Jordan cries at Kobe Bryant memorial, jokes about creating a new meme Monday 4:43 PM
- Woman’s boyfriend says it’s him or the frogs—Reddit says choose the frogs Monday 4:22 PM
- Greyhound buses will no longer allow Border Patrol checks Monday 4:04 PM
- ‘Eat Them To Defeat Them’ is oddly about vegetables—not about eating the rich Monday 3:26 PM
- Marco Rubio mocked for filming talking while driving socialism critique Monday 2:54 PM
- QAnon believer asks Trump’s campaign press secretary who Q is Monday 2:36 PM
- Octavia Spencer has discovered ‘Ma’ memes—and she can’t get enough Monday 2:09 PM
- Meet the anti-Greta Thunberg, a climate ‘skeptic’ funded by the oil industry Monday 1:12 PM
- Harvey Weinstein convicted of rape and sexual assault Monday 12:56 PM
- Senator calls Facebook’s current election disinformation efforts ‘inadequate’ in letter Monday 12:11 PM
- The Phillie Phanatic mascot unveils a slimmer makeover Monday 11:56 AM
- YouTuber threatened with arrest after rapping about being a girl from Mecca Monday 11:55 AM
- Video shows flat-Earther ‘daredevil’ crashing to death after homemade rocket fails Monday 11:49 AM
Part of growing up into adulthood means making your own decisions, and for better or for worse, sometimes young people choose to hide those decisions from their parents. The problem is, a lot of time, parents find out about those things anyway.
That’s exactly what happened to 20-year-old Sydney Allen, from Clearwater, Florida, who chose to get her nipples pierced for her birthday in June. Allen easily managed to hide the piercings from her mom—until a recent doctor’s appointment.
BuzzFeed News reports that Allen went in for a checkup on Tuesday for a spinal condition called syringomyelia, and an X-ray was part of the routine. It came as a huge shock to Allen that the X-ray revealed her nipple piercings, just as it would any metal. It came as an even bigger shock to her mom.
My mom found out I got my nipples pierced today pic.twitter.com/BCRE1dz68f
— Syd (@Sydney_allenn) October 23, 2018
“My mom saw my piercings as soon as the X-ray popped up and the doctor and I started laughing hysterically,” Allen told BuzzFeed News. She said her mom was less amused, looking silently at the image before saying (as so many moms have said before her), “We will discuss this later.”
Allen described her mom as “a bit conservative on appearances and hates tattoos and piercings,” adding that she was “visibly upset” at the X-ray. Luckily, she eventually came around.
“I was initially terrified when the X-ray came up, but she ended up being pretty understanding since no one can tell unless I show them,” Allen said.
The great irony, of course, is Allen then decided to share the story on Twitter, and it’s going viral. Others shared their reactions, and some even had similar stories.
Should’ve said you inhaled tiny dumbbells
— Stevelikeabee (@Scubba_Steve7) October 24, 2018
You must’ve been in the room after like pic.twitter.com/TliL3MPfiR
— Demetria Russell (@tiedye__feels) October 25, 2018
Girl, I feel ya pic.twitter.com/zOlfthrFHL
— ㅤgrim (@treefuzzz) October 24, 2018
Even more good news: As BuzzFeed News reports, Allen says her mom now sees the humor in the whole ordeal.
- Man says his 5-year-old son was threatened for wearing Hitler costume
- Beloved gay penguin couple welcomes adorable baby chick
- Hunter becomes the hunted after goat kill goes viral
H/T BuzzFeed News
Kris Seavers is the IRL editor for the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.