- WikiLeaks’ Julian Assange indicted under Espionage Act 1 Year Ago
- These doctored videos want to make you think Nancy Pelosi is always drunk 1 Year Ago
- A robot could soon be delivering your packages from a self-driving car Today 3:29 PM
- Bipartisan anti-robocall bill overwhelmingly passes Senate Today 2:40 PM
- Deepfake-style videos can now be made with just a single image Today 1:57 PM
- The Lonely Island’s ‘Bash Brothers’ is what Netflix should be doing with short-form comedy Today 1:55 PM
- ‘Green dress lady’ proves green screen memes are still going strong Today 1:45 PM
- ‘Bowling alley strike screen’ memes are bizarre and wonderful Today 12:40 PM
- TikTok star Mohit Mor shot and killed Today 12:00 PM
- Stephen A. Smith is baby Today 11:43 AM
- Tfue releases statement on FaZe Clan lawsuit, says his contract is ‘f*cked’ Today 11:34 AM
- People are using an app to out gropers on Japan’s subway Today 11:24 AM
- Trump misspelled ‘accomplishments’ on handwritten notes, photo shows Today 11:12 AM
- HUD proposal would allow homeless shelters to refuse trans people Today 10:44 AM
- Disney’s ‘Aladdin’ remake isn’t terrible Today 10:11 AM
GOP candidate apologizes after calling Parkland teen activist a ‘skinhead lesbian’
A Republican candidate in Maine has apologized after calling teen activists and Parkland shooting survivors names on Twitter.
According to the Associated Press, Leslie Gibson, the only declared House candidate for Maine’s 57th District, has shut down his personal Twitter account and has made his candidacy account private after he tweeted that 18-year-old Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School student Emma González is a “skinhead lesbian,” and that student David Hogg is a “bald faced liar.”
“There is nothing about this skinhead lesbian that impresses me and there is nothing that she has to say unless you’re a frothing at the mouth moonbat,” Gibson wrote about González in a now-deleted tweet responding to an article featuring her photo. Gonzalez has previously wrote she is Cuban and bisexual in a piece for Harper’s Bazaar.
In a separate tweet, Gibson also said that González wasn’t a survivor because she was in a “different part of the school” than where the 17 victims died.
Gibson also went after Hogg, who stated that NRA spokeswoman Dana Loesch works with gun manufacturers to lobby Congress. According to Gibson’s tweet, Hogg was”a bald faced liar. Dana Loesch ‘owns’ Congressmen? Completely absurd.”
While the tweets are now deleted, screenshots remain posted to the website by other users:
You said it was @gibson_house that said that?
Like, LESLIE GIBSON, the Tresurer of @AndroGOP? The guy running for District 57 State House seat? He called @Emma4Change what???
— Darth Mueller (@TrumanChapman27) March 12, 2018
According to the Sun Journal via the Portland Press Herald, Gibson apologized for using the label as a slur toward González, but said that because of his career in the military, he swore to “uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States.”
“Because of this, I am very passionate about protecting our constitutional rights from those who seek their elimination. It was not appropriate to single out the Parkland students, but I stand firm in my defense of our constitutional rights.”
“I would like to extend to you my most sincere apology for how I addressed you,” Gibson wrote in a separate tweet. “It was wrong and unacceptable. You are doing work that is important to you. I would like to extend my hand in friendship and understanding to you.”
Democratic organizer Pat Fogg said she wished she knew someone who could run against Gibson.
“That sort of stupidity really turns people off,” Fogg said.
H/T Associated Press
Samantha Grasso is a former IRL staff writer for the Daily Dot with a reporting emphasis on immigration. Her work has appeared on Los Angeles Magazine, Death And Taxes, Revelist, Texts From Last Night, Austin Monthly, and she has previously contributed to Texas Monthly.