- Trump supporters are abandoning Fox News over network’s latest hire 1 Year Ago
- QAnon is attacking a random woman in a disturbing and dangerous way 1 Year Ago
- Google celebrates Bach with AI-powered, music-making doodle 1 Year Ago
- RIP: The best free trial in all of streaming entertainment Today 2:19 PM
- Which ‘Florida Man’ are you? Today 1:06 PM
- Hundreds of millions of Facebook passwords were accessible to employees Today 12:55 PM
- ‘Bitch I’m Bella Thorne’ morphs into TikTok dyslexia meme Today 12:17 PM
- Marvel is auctioning props and costumes from Netflix’s ‘Defenders’ franchise Today 12:12 PM
- Net neutrality advocates plan online watch party for the ‘Save the Internet’ Act Today 12:01 PM
- Tim Cook turns his iPad meme into an AirPod meme Today 11:46 AM
- Auschwitz Memorial asks visitors to stop taking playful photos at Holocaust site Today 11:33 AM
- The best Korean beauty products for $15 or less Today 10:50 AM
- PewDiePie’s reign as the No. 1 YouTuber seems to be over Today 10:43 AM
- Amazon’s ‘Hanna’ miniseries offers a more conventional take on the teen spy thriller Today 10:42 AM
- Conservative writer tweets about bombing a university after women are hired Today 10:16 AM
People are questioning Kobe Bryant’s Oscar win in the wake of #MeToo
Former NBA star Kobe Bryant won an Oscar on Sunday for his animated short film “Dear Basketball.” The internet both praised his win—and pointed out that he’s yet another Academy Award winner who has a history of sexual assault allegations.
Amid an Oscars ceremony that follows a year of the conversations around sexual assault allegations—and the following #MeToo and Time’s Up movements—people on Twitter questioned the double standard of the Academy to award Bryant despite the accusations against him.
Anything inconsistent in Kobe Bryant winning an Oscar in the midst of #MeToo ?
— Scott Simon (@nprscottsimon) March 5, 2018
Hollywood: Times Up
[cut to Kobe Bryant on stage]
— #TeamKillmonger. (@thewayoftheid) March 5, 2018
KOBE BRYANT! OSCAR WINNER! RAPIST! ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!
— Zack Bornstein (@ZackBornstein) March 5, 2018
kobe bryant has as many oscars as sexual assault charges
— Sordid History (@Sordid_History) March 5, 2018
Anyway, Kobe Bryant has an Oscar AND a sexual assault allegation.
— Anne T. Donahue (@annetdonahue) March 5, 2018
"Last I checked, time was motherfucking up." -Jane Fonda under her breath as Kobe Bryant walks by
— Louis Virtel (@louisvirtel) March 5, 2018
In 2003, Bryant was charged with rape when a 19-year-old hotel staffer said the basketball star assaulted her in Eagle, Colorado. Kobe was never prosecuted and maintains that he had consensual sex with the accuser.
“Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did,” Kobe said in a letter of apology at the time. “After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.”
Kobe Bryant's apology to the woman who accused him of rape. pic.twitter.com/ezsctMGm4N
— Angus Johnston (@studentactivism) March 5, 2018
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.