- ‘Game of Thrones’ failed women—and it’s a shame on its legacy 4 Years Ago
- How to use Tor, the network that lets you browse the web anonymously 4 Years Ago
- How to live stream Devin Haney vs. Antonio Moran on DAZN Today 7:00 AM
- Trump’s transphobic policies are disgusting—but they aren’t new Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Copa del Rey Final online for free Today 5:45 AM
- How to watch the DFB-Pokal final for free Today 5:30 AM
- Curvy Wife Guy drops music video for rap song ‘Chubby Sexy’ Friday 7:33 PM
- A ‘Black Mirror’ spinoff mini-series is coming to YouTube via Netflix Latin America Friday 5:56 PM
- Kanye West appears on David Letterman’s Netflix show to talk Trump, TMZ, and Drake Friday 3:27 PM
- QAnon believers link small-town arrest to deep state conspiracy without evidence Friday 1:58 PM
- Instagram photos showing prison conditions spark massive protest Friday 1:33 PM
- ‘Gay rat wedding’ headline sparks amazing new meme Friday 1:03 PM
- ‘I read a gossip piece’ meme mocks Moby’s Instagram post Friday 12:39 PM
- Rotten Tomatoes wants to see your ticket stub to leave a verified review Friday 11:46 AM
- ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ movie delayed to 2020 to fix his look Friday 11:39 AM
Sweden invented a word for female masturbation, and it’s pretty graphic
Gone are the days of ‘flicking the bean.’
This article contains sexually explicit material.
While it’s easy for a guy to declare he’s going to go jerk off, there’s never been a female equivalent of a slang term for masturbation—that is, until now.
Thanks to a contest sponsored by the Swedish Association for Sexual Education (RFSU), a new term has been selected to describe the act of female self-pleasure: klittra. The term is a contraction of sorts of the words “clitoris” and “glitter” (because that’s what your head feels like it’s full of when you have an orgasm? I dunno, your guess is as good as ours.)
“Klittra” beat out other frontrunners, including “pulla” and “selfa,” at a conference in Sweden where the vote was conducted.
The RFSU received 1,200 responses via mail, email and comments, and “klittra” was the word that most women felt accurately represented the act of female masturbation.
Back in April, Refinery 29 also sought to find a suitable replacement for terrible female masturbation terms, tossing out suggestions like “petting the cat,” “buttering my muffin,” “my private, sexy time” and “jilling off.” But none of those have quite caught on.
A spokesperson for RFSU told Huffington Post UK: “Women are not expected to have desires and be turned on in the same way as men, which is reflected in the lack of words [for masturbation].” She said that “klittra” “highlights the importance of the clitoris for pleasure.”
Could “klittra” cross the Atlantic Ocean and arrive on our shores?
Or does anyone else have a better suggestion?
H/T Huffington Post UK | Photo via Franca Gimenez/Flickr (CC 2.0)
Marisa Kabas is a lifestyle reporter and activist. Her work has been published by Fusion, Fast Company, and Today. She’s also served as an editorial campaigns director for Purpose PBC, a social movement incubator.