- Former developer at software company deletes his code to protest its ties to ICE Saturday 4:21 PM
- A mysterious website is doxing Hong Kong protesters and journalists Saturday 1:44 PM
- The best ‘Skyrim’ followers and how to get them Saturday 1:26 PM
- Why Joel Osteen gets cyberbullied every time Houston floods Saturday 12:40 PM
- How to stream Jets vs. Patriots in Week 3 Saturday 12:39 PM
- 10 indie dating simulator games you should be playing Saturday 12:31 PM
- How to stream Packers vs. Broncos in Week 3 Saturday 12:14 PM
- Saudi crown prince’s former adviser suspended from Twitter Saturday 11:57 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Dolphins in Week 3 Saturday 11:57 AM
- YouTuber to pay restitution after a teen fan died copying her video Saturday 10:36 AM
- Antonio Brown sent ‘intimidating’ texts to an accuser, including a pic of her children Saturday 9:38 AM
- Facebook suspended tens of thousands of apps after Cambridge Analytica scandal Saturday 8:24 AM
- How to stream Browns vs. Rams on Sunday Night Football Saturday 6:00 AM
- How to watch ‘NFL Primetime’ on ESPN+ Saturday 5:00 AM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Chelsea Friday 6:45 PM
An Instagram influencer with millions of followers on YouTube and Instagram is facing harsh criticism after she posted a photo of herself on a horse half submerged in water.
Kristen Hancher, who has more than 1 million followers on YouTube and about 5 million followers on Instagram, shared the photo on Tuesday with the caption “Old town road.”
The 20-year-old has since received a flurry of comments either mocking her or downright accusing her of animal abuse.
“The Poor horse,” one user wrote.
“Animal abuse,” another said.
Some debated at length whether or not it’s safe for the horse to be in the water.
“Though it’s not animal abuse to take your horse into water, we go through creeks all the time here and swim in lakes with the horses too, and it does look like flat surf, one big wave could be disastrous, because the horse is still tacked up I think they’re not that far from the shoreline and they probably just walked the horse straight in with her on top for a picture,” one user concluded.
“It is abuse if they’re in real deep water with actual waves, which could potentially harm the horse, but it’s pretty clear to look at the picture and take a guess that they aren’t far from the shore,” another user responded.
A representative for Hancher confirmed with BuzzFeed News that there was no wave at any point of the photoshoot, which took place in Anguilla.
“The horse was safe at all times,” the representative said. “There were no waves and nothing that could have endangered the horse.”
There was also discussion on Instagram about Hancher’s saddle and apparent misuse.
“Hell, that’s not even what you should wear when riding a horse,” one user said.
“In the water it’s okayishhh (eek though) but there going to wreck the saddle, that’s for damn sure,” another wrote.
“Imagine being in a saddle, your skin can get seriously damaged from running against the leather,” another user said. “It doesn’t matter whether she’s on an island or not lmao, shes also wrecking the saddle.”
Hancher, whose YouTube channel has more than 24 million views, was reportedly assisted with a guide during the shoot. Her representative said she’s an “animal lover.”
- ‘Misogynistic douchebag’ goes on rant in a Bagel Boss, gets tackled
- Anti-LGBTQ group calls for ‘Toy Story 4’ boycott over lesbian scene
- Florida man arrested for posting revenge porn on Snapchat over dogsitting dispute
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
H/T BuzzFeed News
Samira Sadeque is a New York-based journalist reporting on immigration, sexual violence, and mental health, and will sometimes write about memes and dinosaurs too. Her work also appears in Reuters, NPR, and NBC among other publications. She graduated from Columbia Journalism School, and her work has been nominated for SAJA awards. Follow: @Samideque