- Thousands of Uber users have reported sexual assaults, company says Friday 5:40 PM
- ‘Astronomy Club’ reformats the sketch show Friday 4:58 PM
- Trump is concerned America’s toilets too weak Friday 3:53 PM
- Twitter users claim Billie Eilish is ‘over’ because she didn’t like Lady Gaga’s meat dress Friday 2:53 PM
- Nikki Haley says the Confederate flag was fine until Dylann Roof ‘hijacked’ it Friday 2:49 PM
- How emotional labor discourse spawned multiple memes Friday 2:22 PM
- Video of YouTuber Onision threatening ex-girlfriend resurfaces Friday 2:03 PM
- Marianne Williamson embraces anti-vax stance on Facebook Friday 1:58 PM
- Peloton Husband is worried memes will have ‘repercussions’ for his career Friday 1:55 PM
- ‘The Mandalorian’ stumbles as it returns to a familiar planet Friday 1:47 PM
- The best app controlled Christmas lights for the holidays Friday 1:04 PM
- Go green and save green with solar-powered Christmas lights Friday 1:02 PM
- Bloomberg on diversity in 2020 race: ‘Don’t complain to me’ Friday 12:40 PM
- Midge flaunts the worst side of herself in ‘Marvelous Mrs. Maisel’ season 3 Friday 12:17 PM
- Social media companies continue to fail to police fake behavior, study finds Friday 10:44 AM
These young Indian women defy conventions and talk about masturbation
We’re not supposed to talk about self-pleasure. But these ladies are doing it anyway.
Masturbation is just one of those things you’re not supposed to talk about in public, like religion or money or abortion or why the water in the bathroom sink is so much colder than the water in the kitchen sink. But earlier this week, the folks at the Indian YouTube channel Nisheeth TV took to the streets of New Delhi to ask ladies what they think about partaking in a little healthy bean-flicking. And their candor was pleasantly surprising, to say the least.
“Yes, we do. Everybody does,” one girl said.
“It’s a basic human need. It’s very natural,” her friend chimed in.
Some girls giggled at the question.
But most were refreshingly honest and straightforward. “It was amazing,” one girl said when the filmmakers asked her what her first time was like. “It felt really good.” Another girl mentions feeling a little “scared.”
Is it common for young women in India to be so frank about their self-pleasure habits? Not at all, a representative for Nisheeth TV told Mic. “This openness in pride in sexuality is not at all common for young women in Delhi,” the rep said. “They are afraid, feel shy, and consider it a taboo, talking about self-pleasure. That’s why we had to approach hundreds of women to find these bunch of women who agreed to talk to us with this openness.”
Well, we’re glad they did. Here’s to you for combatting the masturbation stigma, Nisheeth TV, and here’s to you, ladies, for being brave enough to help them. Hopefully one day, it won’t be so difficult to find women who are unafraid to talk openly and honestly about something that every human being does when they’re alone.
H/T Mic | Screengrab via NisheethTV/YouTube
EJ Dickson is a writer and editor who primarily covers sex, dating, and relationships, with a special focus on the intersection of intimacy and technology. She served as the Daily Dot’s IRL editor from January 2014 to July 2015. Her work has since appeared in the New York Times, Rolling Stone, Mic, Bustle, Romper, and Men’s Health.