- QAnon-touting congressman sneaks ‘Epstein Didn’t Kill Himself’ into tweets Wednesday 7:12 PM
- Ocasio-Cortez met a famous drag queen–and the right melted down Wednesday 6:09 PM
- Woman says Lyft driver tried to kidnap her Wednesday 5:18 PM
- Debunking the right-wing conspiracy theories from today’s impeachment hearing Wednesday 4:29 PM
- Maroon 5 approves of the latest TikTok trend Wednesday 3:54 PM
- ‘One month left in the decade’ meme wants to know what you’ve accomplished Wednesday 3:53 PM
- Facebook Pay is the latest way to send your friends money Wednesday 3:31 PM
- Diving into ‘The Mandalorian’s first big shocker Wednesday 3:17 PM
- Disney+ will allow password sharing—to an extent Wednesday 1:12 PM
- Black server says manager refused to discipline coworkers who sent racist receipt Wednesday 12:47 PM
- Who is Jonah Hauer-King, Disney’s new Prince Eric? Wednesday 12:47 PM
- Cut Katherine Langford ‘Avengers: Endgame’ scene lands on Disney+ Wednesday 12:22 PM
- Planned Parenthood app to show abortion-seeking users their nearest options Wednesday 12:21 PM
- ‘The Imagineering Story’ offers touching insight into Walt Disney’s vision Wednesday 11:57 AM
- YouTube mom who was charged with child abuse dead at 48 Wednesday 11:39 AM
The people have spoken, and after last year’s disappointing disaster of Blake Shelton being named as “Sexiest Man Alive,” People has listened.
In the year of our lord 2018, the magazine has crowned Idris Elba with the title.
Who'd have thought it! Thank you @people & all the fans for naming me #SexiestManAlive. Don't forget to grab your issue this week https://t.co/WI7eWfXOPB. I'm honoured & thankful. What’s even more important is your vote in the midterm elections. Your vote can make a difference!👊🏾 pic.twitter.com/TBQapjxJsT— Idris Elba (@idriselba) November 6, 2018
That’s right! For the first time in (at least one) years, the people agree with People on its sexiest-man designation, with Elba sharing a title with the likes of Actual Sexy Men such as Dwayne Johnson, Chris Hemsworth, and Ryan Reynolds. It’s also noteworthy since the distinction often goes to a rotation of white men who are given the title again and again.
The cover of Elba’s issue, with the actor smiling broadly and propping a cable-knit-cardigan’d elbow atop his knee, calls him a “sweet, smoldering superstar.” And the internet couldn’t agree more.
Idris Elba is People’s 2018 ‘Sexiest Man Alive’— 🐝 (@biancaadelpilar) November 6, 2018
1. This is the type of news I needed to hear
2. I completely agree—LOOK. AT. THE. MAN. 😍 pic.twitter.com/nL2VgReb83
people acting like we didn't already know idris elba was the sexiest man alive pic.twitter.com/QyiAyo6L46— alex(is) | #RenewDaredevil (@ltfrankcastIe) November 6, 2018
Who'd have thought it: EVERYONE.— megan, rhymes with vegan (@meganjlarson) November 6, 2018
The most interesting part of Elba’s selection, IMO, is that People stated in their video of their announcement that the sexiest man needed to be someone who respected women—aka, someone who isn’t going to be outed as a Bad Man amid the entertainment industry attempting to take sexual harassment and assault more seriously. Which, you know, should have been a goddamn bare minimum requirement before Elba’s reign as sexiest man. But it doesn’t hurt that the magazine is signaling that being publicly known as an abusive asshole isn’t grounds for praise or recognition. (Last year’s pick, Shelton, had a history of racist and homophobic comments.)
Elba selected as our sexiest man alive isn’t just an injustice righted—it’s a sign from God, the woman herself, that we have at least one November election that turned out better than expected, and with any hope, will have several other wins to come.
Well, we won the first election. https://t.co/6Fi6jEIyDl— Patricia Smith (@pswordwoman) November 6, 2018
Hi @people thank you for hearing my anger about Blake Shelton the Sexiest Potato Alive last year and making this right. Still waiting on Sterling for next year though... #IdrisElba🔥 https://t.co/IPIYpCuFru— Emily Lloyd (@emily_lloyd16) November 6, 2018
If you’re in line to vote, stay in line and make sure everyone around you knows Idris Elba is the sexiest man alive.— R. Eric Thomas (@oureric) November 6, 2018
See what happens when you vote? You get the results the majority wants. 😍 https://t.co/UiUhA8WMKj— Bryce Paschal (@BrycePaschal) November 6, 2018
THIS TWEET ACTUALLY AGED QUITE WELL CONGRATS TO IDRIS ELBA https://t.co/Mh4Gott1vE— The Volatile Mermaid (@OhNoSheTwitnt) November 6, 2018
Idris Elba rightfully winning sexiest man alive after Blake Shelton stole it last time gives me a lot of hope for this Election Day— The Volatile Mermaid (@OhNoSheTwitnt) November 6, 2018
The British actor, after all, used his cover announcement to encourage people to vote in the U.S. midterm elections. He’s sexy and knows what’s at stake!
BREAKING: sexy man says sexy thing https://t.co/eRNy76PT0q— Anne Helen Petersen (@annehelen) November 6, 2018
- A plain and simple guide to understanding consent
- The look of violent men
- Everything you need to know about the anti-harassment initiative Time’s Up
Watch People‘s full video of Elba’s sexy charm and lack of bad angles below:
Samantha Grasso is a former IRL staff writer for the Daily Dot with a reporting emphasis on immigration. Her work has appeared on Los Angeles Magazine, Death And Taxes, Revelist, Texts From Last Night, Austin Monthly, and she has previously contributed to Texas Monthly.