- Southwest Airlines passengers receive free Nintendo Switch consoles and Mario Maker 2 Wednesday 9:10 PM
- The Deplorable Choir drops diss track aimed at 4 congresswomen from Trump’s racist tweets Wednesday 8:09 PM
- Florida city is pushing homeless people out by playing ‘Baby Shark’ on a loop Wednesday 7:27 PM
- A ‘Gossip Girl’ reboot is coming to HBO Max–and fans are not happy with the casting details Wednesday 6:44 PM
- Beto can’t leverage his slave owner ancestry to gain Black voters’ trust Wednesday 5:51 PM
- Oakland to become the third U.S. city to ban facial recognition Wednesday 5:50 PM
- ‘Release the Snyder Cut’ billboards pop up outside of San Diego Comic-Con Wednesday 5:24 PM
- Iggy Azalea and Peppa Pig have an epic Twitter fight Wednesday 4:39 PM
- Should you be concerned about your privacy on FaceApp? Wednesday 4:15 PM
- Google ‘terminates’ Dragonfly, its censored search engine for China Wednesday 3:33 PM
- AOC rips Facebook during Libra House hearing Wednesday 3:14 PM
- The time traveler conversation meme finds its way to TikTok Wednesday 2:52 PM
- Grimes claims she had an ‘experimental’ eye surgery and practices sword fighting Wednesday 2:42 PM
- 70 Border Patrol employees under investigation for posts in secret Facebook group Wednesday 1:45 PM
- Republican’s Operation Safe Return criticized as cover for mass deporation Wednesday 1:42 PM
These celebs have some choice words for the president.
President Donald Trump drew strong criticism from the Hollywood community after his announcement Wednesday on Twitter that transgender individuals will be banned from serving in the United States military.
Donald: With your ban on trans people from the military, you are on notice that you just pissed off the wrong community. You will regret it.— George Takei (@GeorgeTakei) July 26, 2017
Invidious discrimination against any group must be opposed by all. Straight/Cis allies: Will you stand with LGBTs?#TransRightsAreHumanRights— George Takei (@GeorgeTakei) July 26, 2017
Trump's claim that the cost of trans servicemembers would be "tremendous" is bunk. 2016 Rand Study estimated the add'l care cost at $6mil.— George Takei (@GeorgeTakei) July 26, 2017
Takei addressed voters who may have seen Trump as an LGBTQ ally during his campaign, although his administration has indicated otherwise.
Trump is banning all transgenders from the military. To those who believed Trump would be a friend to LGBTs, time to admit you were conned.— George Takei (@GeorgeTakei) July 26, 2017
Other celebrities reacted with disheartened astonishment or anger, as well as support for the transgender community.
After consultation with our staff, here is our current statement regarding @POTUS's transgender service tweets. "FUCK YOU."— Full Frontal (@FullFrontalSamB) July 26, 2017
I grew up in a military w/ LGBT people serving in the shadows. We can't let DT turn back the clock on our brave, trans soldiers. #RISEUP— Dustin Lance Black (@DLanceBlack) July 26, 2017
Are you TRYING to be an asshole? https://t.co/QW9axAScmO— Andy Cohen (@Andy) July 26, 2017
Every single trans person who has served or WILL serve in our military is braver, stronger & a better patriot & human than @realDonaldTrump— zoe kazan (@zoeinthecities) July 26, 2017
Oh, just a reminder that this--NONE OF THIS IS NORMAL.— Busy Philipps (@Busyphilipps25) July 26, 2017
They are OUR generals, not yours. We pay for them & the military. The true patriots among them should refuse to enforce this ban. https://t.co/ebix3JDGmu— Beau Willimon (@BeauWillimon) July 26, 2017
Correct. https://t.co/GApzH7flhY— Uzo Aduba (@UzoAduba) July 26, 2017
Candis Cayne, a trans actress, tweeted, “We have never asked for anything other than to live our life as our authentic self.”
Wow no words— candis cayne (@candiscayne) July 26, 2017
As trans women and men We have never asked for anything other than to live our life as our authentic self this hate has to stop!— candis cayne (@candiscayne) July 26, 2017
Caitlyn Jenner, who has stated publicly that she voted for Trump, questioned the president’s promise to fight for LGBTQ rights.
There are 15,000 patriotic transgender Americans in the US military fighting for all of us. What happened to your promise to fight for them? https://t.co/WzjypVC8Sr— Caitlyn Jenner (@Caitlyn_Jenner) July 26, 2017
I'm starting to think they don't know what these letters actually stand for. https://t.co/ieznVV5Gio— Seth Rogen (@Sethrogen) July 26, 2017
Hey Ivanka, James here. Hope all is good, quick question, can you... Erm... Call your dad and have a talk. X https://t.co/yiiL89J3Ap— James Corden (@JKCorden) July 26, 2017
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.