- Roger Stone posts, then deletes, Instagram of his judge with small crosshairs next to her 2 Weeks Ago
- People are Googling Rihanna and their birthday in a Twitter challenge Today 2:13 PM
- Here are all of the Fortnite earthquake cracks thus far Today 1:21 PM
- New Apex Legends characters leaked by data miners Today 12:36 PM
- Ken Jeong falls back on crude humor and lazy stereotypes in ‘You Complete Me, Ho’ Today 12:24 PM
- 14 artsy cartoon mugs that’ll help make your days more creative Today 12:15 PM
- Netflix cancels ‘Jessica Jones’ and ‘The Punisher’ Today 11:26 AM
- YouTube is fueling the rise in flat earth believers Today 11:04 AM
- Review: Crackdown 3 is not a world worth saving Today 11:00 AM
- Scathing privacy report calls Facebook a ‘digital gangster’ Today 10:50 AM
- 21 Savage goes deep on 21 Savage memes Today 10:49 AM
- Everyone is debating the number of towels you should own Today 10:47 AM
- How to unlock the Fortnite Prisoner stage 4 skin Today 10:45 AM
- Julian Assange reportedly nominated for Nobel Peace Prize Today 10:27 AM
- Major U.S. airlines will soon implement nonbinary gender options Today 10:21 AM
Viral video shows white school police officer punching, pulling hair of Black student
A video uploaded to Facebook shows a white school police officer holding a Black student down against a table and grabbing her hair, BuzzFeed News reports. The incident occurred at Hazleton Area High School in Hazleton, Pennsylvania, and led to the expulsion of four students.
The clip, posted by a student of the high school, opens to complete pandemonium. One student is seen shouting “Let me go!” at the beginning of the video while being restrained.
This is wrong on so many levels this man violated her patrón talk so much shit when it comes to keeping the school “safe” wonder how he gonna fix this smh what a school.😡😡
Posted by Emi Cespedes on Monday, February 4, 2019
The camera pans over to another female student being restrained by four grown men associated with security at the school. One man punches her in the leg in order to pin her onto a table. He then grabs the student’s hair as she lays face-first against the table. Meanwhile, other students are heard in the background of the video yelling for the man to let her go.
Per local news outlet WBRE, the superintendent of the Hazleton Area School District Brian Uplinger said, “It’s important to know there are always two sides to every story and it’s really important for parents and students and community members to get both sides of those stories before going to social media.”
But it’s hard to imagine any situation that would require the amount of force being displayed by security in this video.
The disparity in the number of Black kids in school and the percentage of those kids receiving disciplinary action continues to grow in America. According to federal data, in the 2015-16 school year, Black students only made up 15 percent of students enrolled nationwide yet made up 31 percent of students arrested by or referred to the police.