- Andrew Yang upset porn fans with his criticism of Bing Tuesday 10:34 PM
- Kamala Harris really wants Trump kicked off Twitter Tuesday 10:22 PM
- Bernie Sanders jokes he didn’t use medical marijuana before tonight’s debate Tuesday 9:47 PM
- Tulsi Gabbard says she’s not a Russian asset—which is just what a Russian asset would say Tuesday 9:20 PM
- Warren says she doesn’t have a ‘beef with billionaires’ Tuesday 8:59 PM
- Andrew Yang’s Universal Basic Income plan gets support from other candidates Tuesday 8:40 PM
- Christmas creep is real, and it’s all over Tom Steyer’s neck Tuesday 8:05 PM
- Stans are using pictures of Beyoncé to catfish sugar daddies Tuesday 7:18 PM
- Wait, who the heck is Tom Steyer? Tuesday 7:17 PM
- Teacher caught on video in racist rant put on leave without pay Tuesday 5:44 PM
- Pornhub pulls Girls Do Porn videos amid sex trafficking charges Tuesday 4:49 PM
- Gina Rodriguez sings N-word on Instagram story Tuesday 4:41 PM
- Trump Jr. mocked for Hunter Biden tweet about profiting from dad’s name Tuesday 3:58 PM
- All the holiday movies and shows coming to Netflix in 2019 Tuesday 3:48 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em Week 7: The QB blues Tuesday 3:29 PM
A young trans man re-received a doll he was given as a baby for Christmas, and his grandma’s update to it is beyond sweet.
The holidays can be a hard time of year for many transgender folks. Many trans people are rejected by family, or have family who refuse to acknowledge and respect their gender identity. But times are changing, and transgender acceptance is growing. Many people got to go home this year to love and support. This year, one grandmother went the extra mile to show her trans grandson how much she loves him.
“So when I was a kid I, I had a Raggedy Ann doll given to me by my grandmother. It had my birth name embroidered into a heart on its chest,” wrote Gabe, 22, on Twitter.
His grandmother had borrowed that childhood doll, and on Christmas morning, Gabe found out why. When he unwrapped his presents he found his childhood doll, with new bright blue pants, a shorter haircut, and most importantly, new words embroidered into the heart on his chest: “I love Gabe.” His Raggedy Ann was now a Raggedy Andy. “Hes trans, like me,” Gabe said on Twitter.
So when I was a kid I, I had a raggedy Ann doll given to me by my grandmother. It had my birth name embroidered into a heart on it's chest.— King of horny on main (@Snepblep) December 25, 2018
This Christmas my Grandmother borrowed it and gave it back, now with pants, shorter hair, and my new name sewn in place. Hes trans, like me pic.twitter.com/KpMAnd1In8
Grandparents being loving and sweet can make anyone smile, but the gesture of transitioning Gabe’s childhood doll was so touching it got the internet crying.
I'm crying I have no idea who you are but I love you and your grandma so much Merry Christmas ❤️— ✨Kit Pleasant✨ (@mollygrew) December 25, 2018
my heart....... pic.twitter.com/KwELM6VZHI— haley (@absinthefather) December 26, 2018
Gabe’s grandma got him a few gifts besides the Raggedy Andy this year that celebrate his name, including an engraved pocket knife, and a T-shirt that says, “I’m Gabe doing Gabe things.”
Other name-based gifts I got from my grandmother include: an engraved pocketknife, and this sick t-shirt I'm never taking off pic.twitter.com/Hy4wZBNyZK— King of horny on main (@Snepblep) December 25, 2018
Gabe has dubbed the doll “raggedy transdy,” and hopefully he and his grandma have given a bunch of parents and grandparents of trans folks a great idea for a touching Christmas gift for 2019.
The Daily Dot has reached out to Gabe for comment and will update this story if he responds.
Alex Dalbey is a writer and zinester currently living in Saint Paul, Minnesota. They have written for The Daily Dot, Kill Screen, The Lingerie Addict, and Bullet Points.