- Curvy Wife Guy drops music video for rap song ‘Chubby Sexy’ Friday 7:33 PM
- A ‘Black Mirror’ spinoff mini-series is coming to YouTube via Netflix Latin America Friday 5:56 PM
- Kanye West appears on David Letterman’s Netflix show to talk Trump, TMZ, and Drake Friday 3:27 PM
- QAnon believers link small-town arrest to deep state conspiracy without evidence Friday 1:58 PM
- Instagram photos showing prison conditions spark massive protest Friday 1:33 PM
- ‘Gay rat wedding’ headline sparks amazing new meme Friday 1:03 PM
- ‘I read a gossip piece’ meme mocks Moby’s Instagram post Friday 12:39 PM
- Rotten Tomatoes wants to see your ticket stub to leave a verified review Friday 11:46 AM
- ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ movie delayed to 2020 to fix his look Friday 11:39 AM
- ‘Swamp Thing’ gets off to a promising start, but can it tell a convincing love story? Friday 11:34 AM
- ‘Falling on deaf ears’: ‘Queer Eye’ star sparks conversation about ableist idioms Friday 11:15 AM
- Parents are spending thousands on YouTube camps that teach kids how to be famous Friday 10:43 AM
- In season 2 of ‘She’s Gotta Have It,’ Spike Lee remains unapologetically himself Friday 10:36 AM
- Trump selling Pride shirts is a grotesque insult to the LGBTQ community Friday 10:27 AM
- Logan Paul is being mocked for pulling out of slapping competition Friday 9:57 AM
Student expelled for defending herself against boys ‘protesting’ in girls’ bathroom
A girl has reportedly been expelled from school after a group of boys entered the girls’ bathroom in an anti-trans “protest” and she kneed one in the crotch for blocking her.
According to the Washington Post, a transgender boy had taken a selfie in the boys’ bathroom at North Pole High School in Alaska on April 4, and some of his male classmates were upset by the photo he posted to Snapchat. To demonstrate their anger, they decided to “protest” by going as a group into the girls’ bathroom to take photos. Obviously, there is a huge difference between a single trans student using the bathroom that matches their gender identity and taking a picture to celebrate that moment, and a group of boys going into the girls’ room together to take pictures
The anti-trans protest was met with unexpected resistance, however. There was a girl in the bathroom, and she was not having any of their nonsense. The group of boys allegedly blocked her from leaving, and she responded by kneeing one of them in the crotch, prompting a hasty retreat.
Now, the girl’s family says she has been expelled, following a Title IX investigation that, according to Superintendent Karen Gaborik, concluded there was “not evidence that the boys were threatening any student or using any type of force toward students.” Most people would consider a group of boys trapping a girl in a confined space threatening—and they’re speaking out against the school district’s decision.
State Rep. Tammie Wilson has been particularly outspoken on the punishment. “Was she supposed to not protect herself? She was where she belonged. They were not,” she said in an interview with the Daily News-Miner. “I would have taught my daughter to do the same.”
- Trans and nonbinary people explain what gender dysphoria feels like
- Ending violence against trans people starts with respecting them in everyday life
- A guide to understanding cisgender privilege
H/T Washington Post
Alex Dalbey is a writer and zinester currently living in Saint Paul, Minnesota. They have written for The Daily Dot, Kill Screen, The Lingerie Addict, and Bullet Points.