- Buttigieg, Klobuchar come together to laugh at Bloomberg Wednesday 10:29 PM
- Bernie Sanders calls Bloomberg’s wealth ‘grotesque’ to his face Wednesday 9:53 PM
- Angry Bloomberg asks debate moderators if he’s ‘chicken liver’ Wednesday 9:29 PM
- Elizabeth Warren savages everyone else’s healthcare plan Wednesday 9:07 PM
- K-Pop stans help push ‘Pooping for Kaitlin’ hashtag mocking Kent State gun girl Wednesday 8:54 PM
- Fans speculate after learning Pop Smoke posted address prior to fatal home invasion Wednesday 8:11 PM
- Jar of human tongues found in Florida has people shook Wednesday 6:39 PM
- Video of Blueface teaching Obama lookalike to dance is turning heads Wednesday 5:58 PM
- ‘No one has the range’ for this meme Wednesday 5:21 PM
- Mom confronts man who followed daughter through grocery store in viral video Wednesday 5:05 PM
- Major study linking vaping to heart attacks gets retracted Wednesday 4:36 PM
- George Zimmerman is suing Pete Buttigieg, Elizabeth Warren Wednesday 2:55 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Horse Girl’ accused of ripping off 2017 indie film Wednesday 2:52 PM
- The Genyus Network is a safe social space for stroke survivors Wednesday 2:20 PM
- MAGA hat-wearing dog finishes last in ‘Today Show’ fan vote—still named winner Wednesday 2:03 PM
George Zimmerman allegedly threatened Beyonce, Jay-Z over Trayvon Martin doc
He reportedly said he would feed the couple to an alligator.
Seminole County Sheriff's Office/Wikimedia Commons (Public Domain)
According to celebrity news site the Blast, Zimmerman sent the threats to Dennis Warren, a private investigator who worked on the series. The Blast obtained a series of threatening messages from Zimmerman, which called Jay-Z a “bitch” and Beyonce a “broke whore.” Forbes put Beyonce’s 2018 net worth at $355 million; Zimmerman said in May that he was $2.5 million in debt.
Warren contacted Zimmerman last year to inquire about his participation in the documentary. After the initial contact, Zimmerman was accused of stalking Warren, allegedly calling him 21 times, sending 38 text messages, and leaving seven voicemails in about two hours. A Seminole County judge denied Warren a restraining order.
Zimmerman also reportedly threatened to feed Jay and Bey to an alligator, a threat he also made to Warren and another executive producer of the series, Michael Gasparro.
The threats against Jay-Z and Beyonce are only the latest example in a series of violent behaviors that Zimmerman has exhibited since he first made national news in 2012 for shooting and killing Trayvon Martin.
Zimmerman was acquitted in Martin’s killing, which sparked nationwide protests of white impunity in the murder of Black people.
He was also accused of domestic violence, allegedly throwing a bottle of wine at his then-girlfriend in 2015. Another former girlfriend said he pointed a gun at her face during an argument. Charges were dropped in both incidents.
Ellen Ioanes is the FOIA reporter at the Daily Dot, where she covers U.S. politics. She is a graduate of Columbia Journalism School, and her work has appeared in the Guardian, the Center for Public Integrity, HuffPost India, and more.