- Bernie Sanders wins Nevada Caucuses Saturday 6:54 PM
- MSNBC is out of its mind over Sanders leading Nevada Saturday 5:20 PM
- Kim Kardashian dragged for using makeup to darken her hands Saturday 4:13 PM
- TikTok users show how they turned their vehicles into incredible tiny homes Saturday 3:44 PM
- Woman iconically pranks man who sent her an unsolicited d*ck pic Saturday 2:25 PM
- ‘Terrifying’ deepfake puts Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk in ‘Star Trek’ Saturday 1:06 PM
- A 36-year-old called the cops after being booted from parents’ phone plan Saturday 12:16 PM
- People think novelist Dean Koontz predicted the coronavirus in 1981 thriller Saturday 10:22 AM
- Twitter suspends 70 pro-Bloomberg accounts Saturday 9:15 AM
- In documentary ‘Modern Whore,’ a former escort takes control of her own narrative Saturday 6:30 AM
- Cara Delevingne calls out Justin Bieber for ‘ranking’ wife Hailey’s friends Friday 9:07 PM
- Fans defend Jenna Marbles after some people claimed she mistreated her dogs in a recent video Friday 8:37 PM
- ‘Friends’ gets reunion special on HBO Max, fans go wild Friday 7:37 PM
- Why you should drop everything and start reading ‘Lore Olympus’ Friday 6:27 PM
- ‘Boogaloo’ memes are trying to organize a second civil war—and they’re spreading fast Friday 3:48 PM
A group of furries went viral Saturday after Twitter user Robbie Ryans shared a video of the fursuiters physically intervening in a domestic violence incident. The role-players, who were in San Jose, California, attending Further Confusion (aka FurCon) “pull[ed] together to stop an abuser” who’s since been charged with domestic assault, CNN reports.
Ryans, who goes by @robbiesets on Twitter, said the group was taking a smoke break from the convention when they saw the couple’s fight.
“We heard a woman’s screams coming from inside and saw the passenger throwing full fists at whoever was driving,” Ryans told the Daily Dot. “We got up and ran towards the car, my friend pulled open the door and we both held onto the attacker. The girl driver was yelling for him to get out, as he started trying to fight us off.”
Another person seen in the clip did not immediately respond to the Daily Dot’s request for comment.
The video is a lot of chaos, boasting plenty of screams and pleas, but the most intelligible line from the two apprehending the alleged attacker is a pink-clad furry saying “you were just hitting her.” This is important to note as apparently, some redditors are trying to twist the narrative into a furry-led assault.
Unfortunately redditors are trying to twist the narrative to make it seem like the furries started the assault pic.twitter.com/3M6p0CTg7W— Somnus!! (@SergaLala) January 19, 2020
Visiting the Reddit thread itself, though, gives way to a bit of positivity. Some called fursuiters “brave” for “going against the grain.” Others tried to clarify the situation depicted with the 30 seconds of film.
Still, much of the information shared in the thread is incorrect. One Reddit user described the conflict as these two fursuiters breaking up a fight between an Uber driver and a passenger, which isn’t what happened. But points for trying.
Update 4:06pm CT, Jan. 23: One of the people depicted in the video, who goes by Jo, said the furry group jumped in after noticing the blue car shown in the video pull up to their hotel. The assailant was allegedly attacking the victim inside when Ryans began recording, and Jo stepped in with others.
Felix Kalvesmaki is a second-year student at the University of Texas at Austin and an intern for the Daily Dot. His work has appeared in Input magazine, Teen Vogue, and on Texas NPR station KERA.