- 2 Proud Boys sentenced to 4 years in prison for attacking antifa protesters Tuesday 7:20 PM
- Paul Joseph Watson is very upset by bartender serving beer with her butt Tuesday 6:24 PM
- Twitter developing a policy to combat deepfakes Tuesday 5:28 PM
- The Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal bout at UFC 244 is perfect for NYC and its fight mecca Tuesday 5:27 PM
- Alexis Bledel named most dangerous online celebrity Tuesday 5:02 PM
- Kylie Jenner trademarks ‘rise and shine’ after meme success Tuesday 4:50 PM
- ‘Watchmen’ website expands what you know about its alt-history Tuesday 4:31 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em Week 8: Mark Walton szn Tuesday 4:26 PM
- Venmo’s first-ever credit card to launch in 2020 Tuesday 3:46 PM
- Wet Kylo Ren may turn everyone to the dark side Tuesday 3:15 PM
- Man allegedly targeted trans women on dating app, robbed them at knifepoint Tuesday 3:02 PM
- Researchers expose how Amazon Echo and Google Home can steal passwords Tuesday 2:47 PM
- Facebook removing Instagram Story filters that mimic plastic surgery Tuesday 2:16 PM
- Mom solves ‘ghost baby’ image mystery after viral post Tuesday 1:23 PM
- Elon Musk tweeted ‘through space’ Tuesday 1:16 PM
A gunman went on a shooting rampage in Odessa and Midland, Texas, on Saturday, killing seven and injuring 22 more. A horrifying video posted to Facebook captured the moment a family took cover during the shootout between the gunman and police.
The 51-second video, which is captioned “Dios Mío Por Favor Protégenos” (“My God, please protect us”), was posted by Antonio Orozco Garcia and shows a group of adults and children on the ground, in the dirt, trying to protect themselves from the gunshots. They were near the movie theater where police ultimately shot and killed the shooter.
Posted by Antonio Orozco Garcia on Saturday, August 31, 2019
“Get down, get down, get down,” a man’s voice can be heard instructing the group.
When gunfire starts to blast in the background, children begin fearfully screaming and crying.
“It’s OK, we’re gonna be OK,” the voice tries to reassure the group.
At one point, the man recording the videos climbs on top of one of the children to shield the child from any potential gunfire. “I got you,” he says to the child.
When the gunshots can be heard settling down, the man asks everyone in the group if they are OK. It appears that no featured in the video was injured.
The gunman was reportedly pulled over by state troopers, which is what set off the deadly rampage. Police have yet to identify the gunman but have said that he is a white male in his mid-30s. Odessa Police Chief Michael Gerke said at a press conference that the gunman used an AR-type weapon. A 17-month-year old was among those injured in the shooting.
The Daily Dot has reached out to Antonio Orozco Garcia.
- What are red flag laws?
- Majority of threats made since El Paso and Dayton shootings have been made online
- Parkland teens announce massive gun reform proposal
- The gun control debate is all about feral hogs now
Tiffanie Drayton is a geek culture and lifestyle reporter whose work covers everything from gender and race to anime and Xbox. Her work has appeared in Complex, Salon, Marie Claire, Playboy, and elsewhere.