- Angela Abar wrestles with destiny in ‘Watchmen’ episode 8 Sunday 9:05 PM
- Guy who runs Trump Organization Twitter account caught hyping up own tweet Sunday 4:51 PM
- People found out how tall Olaf is–and now ‘Frozen’ is terrifying Sunday 3:41 PM
- Rapper Juice WRLD dead at 21 Sunday 3:02 PM
- Embody Andrew Yang, fight other presidential candidates in video game Sunday 2:33 PM
- Ariana Grande spoke with TikTok teen who looks exactly like her Sunday 1:00 PM
- Beyoncé accused of paying dancers ‘low rates’ Sunday 11:58 AM
- Timmy Thick blasted for saying the N-word in comeback video Sunday 9:11 AM
- Netflix’s ‘The Confession Killer’ is a devastating and well-built portrait of a con artist Sunday 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! I’m ashamed to tell anyone about my online shopping habit Sunday 6:00 AM
- UPS facing backlash for thanking police after employee killed in shootout Saturday 5:02 PM
- Sanders campaign fires staffer after anti-Semitic, homophobic tweets surface Saturday 3:13 PM
- Brother Nature was attacked, says everyone just watched with phones out Saturday 2:45 PM
- Ryan Reynolds’ gin company hires Peloton wife for ad Saturday 1:24 PM
- Ex-vegan YouTuber accused of fraud after following meat-only diet Saturday 1:11 PM
A gunman went on a shooting rampage in Odessa and Midland, Texas, on Saturday, killing seven and injuring 22 more. A horrifying video posted to Facebook captured the moment a family took cover during the shootout between the gunman and police.
The 51-second video, which is captioned “Dios Mío Por Favor Protégenos” (“My God, please protect us”), was posted by Antonio Orozco Garcia and shows a group of adults and children on the ground, in the dirt, trying to protect themselves from the gunshots. They were near the movie theater where police ultimately shot and killed the shooter.
Posted by Antonio Orozco Garcia on Saturday, August 31, 2019
“Get down, get down, get down,” a man’s voice can be heard instructing the group.
When gunfire starts to blast in the background, children begin fearfully screaming and crying.
“It’s OK, we’re gonna be OK,” the voice tries to reassure the group.
At one point, the man recording the videos climbs on top of one of the children to shield the child from any potential gunfire. “I got you,” he says to the child.
When the gunshots can be heard settling down, the man asks everyone in the group if they are OK. It appears that no featured in the video was injured.
The gunman was reportedly pulled over by state troopers, which is what set off the deadly rampage. Police have yet to identify the gunman but have said that he is a white male in his mid-30s. Odessa Police Chief Michael Gerke said at a press conference that the gunman used an AR-type weapon. A 17-month-year old was among those injured in the shooting.
The Daily Dot has reached out to Antonio Orozco Garcia.
- What are red flag laws?
- Majority of threats made since El Paso and Dayton shootings have been made online
- Parkland teens announce massive gun reform proposal
- The gun control debate is all about feral hogs now
Tiffanie Drayton is a geek culture and lifestyle reporter whose work covers everything from gender and race to anime and Xbox. Her work has appeared in Complex, Salon, Marie Claire, Playboy, and elsewhere.