- Cooking Mama’s return whips up a fresh batch of memes Tuesday 8:18 PM
- Influencer body-shames model, Photoshops photo of self to ‘prove point’ Tuesday 7:27 PM
- Boosie Badazz goes on transphobic rant about Dwyane Wade’s daughter Tuesday 6:34 PM
- Royal Family’s website accidentally links to porn instead of charity Tuesday 5:39 PM
- Republican senator spreads false conspiracy about coronavirus Tuesday 5:11 PM
- New DNA technology could help exonerate Black man serving life sentence Tuesday 4:24 PM
- ‘SNL’s’ Kenan Thompson to host the White House Correspondents’ Dinner Tuesday 3:58 PM
- Singer Summer Walker dragged for insensitive HIV comments Tuesday 2:39 PM
- This video of a teddy bear getting steam cleaned makes a perfect meme Tuesday 2:27 PM
- Ted Cruz goes on Twitter tirade over proposed vasectomy bill Tuesday 2:22 PM
- Billie Eilish says she’s stopped reading Instagram comments Tuesday 2:13 PM
- Christian group blames satanists for Twitter poll results Tuesday 1:41 PM
- Coronavirus has pandemic-themed video games topping charts Tuesday 12:58 PM
- Bloomberg said kids are drawn to socialism because they think it involves social media Tuesday 12:55 PM
- Jake Paul gives ill-informed advice on how to deal with anxiety Tuesday 12:25 PM
A gunman went on a shooting rampage in Odessa and Midland, Texas, on Saturday, killing seven and injuring 22 more. A horrifying video posted to Facebook captured the moment a family took cover during the shootout between the gunman and police.
The 51-second video, which is captioned “Dios Mío Por Favor Protégenos” (“My God, please protect us”), was posted by Antonio Orozco Garcia and shows a group of adults and children on the ground, in the dirt, trying to protect themselves from the gunshots. They were near the movie theater where police ultimately shot and killed the shooter.
Posted by Antonio Orozco Garcia on Saturday, August 31, 2019
“Get down, get down, get down,” a man’s voice can be heard instructing the group.
When gunfire starts to blast in the background, children begin fearfully screaming and crying.
“It’s OK, we’re gonna be OK,” the voice tries to reassure the group.
At one point, the man recording the videos climbs on top of one of the children to shield the child from any potential gunfire. “I got you,” he says to the child.
When the gunshots can be heard settling down, the man asks everyone in the group if they are OK. It appears that no featured in the video was injured.
The gunman was reportedly pulled over by state troopers, which is what set off the deadly rampage. Police have yet to identify the gunman but have said that he is a white male in his mid-30s. Odessa Police Chief Michael Gerke said at a press conference that the gunman used an AR-type weapon. A 17-month-year old was among those injured in the shooting.
The Daily Dot has reached out to Antonio Orozco Garcia.
- What are red flag laws?
- Majority of threats made since El Paso and Dayton shootings have been made online
- Parkland teens announce massive gun reform proposal
- The gun control debate is all about feral hogs now
Tiffanie Drayton is a geek culture and lifestyle reporter whose work covers everything from gender and race to anime and Xbox. Her work has appeared in Complex, Salon, Marie Claire, Playboy, and elsewhere.