- Trump gets banned from SeekingArrangement because he’s not a ‘real sugar daddy’ 5 Years Ago
- InfoWars accidentally sent child porn to lawyers representing Sandy Hook parents 5 Years Ago
- Sticker warns men changing diapers about ‘feminization of the American male’ 5 Years Ago
- The genius way Genius caught Google allegedly stealing lyrics Today 3:03 PM
- This bubble tea challenge is a balancing act Today 2:15 PM
- Laura Dern gifts the internet with more ‘Big Little Lies’ memes Today 1:54 PM
- The Stonks meme is back—and it’s weirder than ever Today 1:27 PM
- Video shows officer threatening to shoot pregnant Black woman in front of her children Today 1:12 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Leila’ tells a familiar dystopian horror story Today 12:37 PM
- O.J. Simpson says in Twitter video that he never slept with Kris Jenner Today 12:06 PM
- GOP commissioner jokes on Facebook about running over Trump protesters Today 11:52 AM
- 2 trans women killed within 3 months in the same neighborhood Today 11:35 AM
- DNC tries to pander with tone-deaf Beyoncé meme, fails miserably Today 10:45 AM
- Parkland grad says Harvard rescinded offer after racist comments surfaced Today 10:10 AM
- ‘The Edge of Democracy’ chronicles the downfall of Brazil’s political leaders Today 9:42 AM
“Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding”—Gandhi
Warning: This article contains strong language and potentially disturbing content.
Same-sex marriage is enshrined in law in 19 states, another 21 have banned discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation; the fight for equal rights is slowly being won. But that doesn’t mean it’s not without it’s challenges.
A video has been uploaded to YouTube that shows the ignorance and hostility still faced by many LGBTQ young people across the country today. In it, “Daniel” is in the process of coming out to his family. The tone quickly shifts from disappointment to outright hostility: In the space of 5 minutes and 10 seconds, his family’s message transforms from “I love you” to “you’re full of shit!”
At 3:45 mark it even comes to blows, as Daniel is apparently assaulted.
The video was first posted to the Reddit community /r/gaybros by Daniel’s boyfriend of five months, who reveals that Daniel has now been “disowned” and is living with a friend. He was apparently presented with a choice: “attend a pray-the-gay-away intervention, or face being disowned by the very people who are supposed to love him unconditionally.”
A gofundme campaign to raise money for Daniel’s living expenses has raised more than $3,000 from almost 70 people in just 7 hours.
There is no reputable scientific evidence suggesting that conversion therapy has any efficacy whatsoever, and can cause a dangerous increase in suicidal thoughts in those that undergo it. In 2013 it was described by Sentator Ted Lieu as “straight-up medical malpractice.”
The Trevor Project offers free counselling in times of crisis for LGBTQ young people across the United States, and the Albert Kennedy Trust supports young people in the United Kingdom who are made homeless or are in a hostile environment as a result of their sexual orientation or gender identity.
Photo via Orin Zebest / Flickr (CC BY 2.0) | Remix by Rob Price
Rob Price is a technology and politics reporter who served as the U.K.-based morning editor for the Daily Dot until 2014. He now works as the news editor for Business Insider, and his work has appeared in Vice, Slate, the Washington Post, and the Independent.