- Multimillion-dollar ‘Farming Simulator’ franchise enters world of esports Wednesday 7:38 PM
- Sandra Bullock, Chris McKay are making Netflix comic film ‘Reborn’ Wednesday 7:22 PM
- Instagram revokes Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro’s verified status Wednesday 5:23 PM
- Transgender people suffer when debates over their rights are framed as ‘distractions’ Wednesday 4:57 PM
- Hulu with Live TV just hiked its prices Wednesday 4:05 PM
- Hacker infiltrates Nest cameras to gain PewDiePie subscribers Wednesday 2:37 PM
- YouTube time traveler claims MLK’s granddaughter will be the last U.S. president Wednesday 2:30 PM
- Media coverage of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s Twitch cameo erases Chelsea Manning Wednesday 1:39 PM
- New Alexa skill lets you sing with Queen’s Freddie Mercury Wednesday 1:13 PM
- Netflix is the first streaming platform to join MPAA Wednesday 12:59 PM
- Can you spot an email from a hacker? Wednesday 12:46 PM
- Gina Rodriguez cries over being called anti-Black, gets dragged for ‘fake tears’ Wednesday 12:21 PM
- Boots Riley explains why he got snubbed by the Oscars Wednesday 12:20 PM
- Review: ‘Buffy’ returns with a modern comic book reboot Wednesday 11:47 AM
- You’re about to see a lot more Netflix on your Instagram Wednesday 11:32 AM
Cop charged with beating her 8-year-old daughter after she posted a YouTube video
Sgt. Jamie L. McDonald allegedly struck her daughter after she discovered that the girl had vlogged about the family cat. The video apparently showed the 8-year-old crying and lamenting the fact McDonald gave away the pet.
According to the affidavit, McDonald’s daughter told a police detective that her mother slapped her face and knocked her to the ground after discovering she had posted to YouTube.
Dallas Police Officer Arrested
On October 13, 2018, Dallas Police Sergeant Jamie L. McDonald, #8312, was arrested by officers from the Royce City Police Department. She was arrested on the following charge: Injury to a Child (Felony of the First degree) pic.twitter.com/ceDyvAofx2
— Dallas Police Dept (@DallasPD) October 14, 2018
McDonald allegedly made the girl delete the video, and then after knocking her to the ground, sat on the girl’s stomach and continuously struck her in the arms and face. Her 12-year-old brother told police he stopped the beating when he threatened to call their father. McDonald then allegedly took away her kids’ cellphones. According to police, the boy also said McDonald choked him until he couldn’t breathe last April.
When David Grantham, who has been divorced from McDonald since last year, picked up his children from school on Thursday, he saw his daughter’s face had been bruised. In response, he called the police. Officers also noted a hand imprint on the girl’s cheek and a bruise on her arm, according to the affidavit.
McDonald was arrested Saturday, and according to the Daily Mail, she was released from jail on Monday after posting a $25,000 bail. The Dallas Police Department said McDonald, a 16-year veteran, has been placed on administrative leave.
About a month ago, another officer with the Dallas Police Department, Amber Guyger, was arrested and charged with manslaughter. She fatally shot her 26-year-old neighbor, Botham Jean, after she walked into his apartment and mistook it for her own, she said.
H/T Daily Mail
Josh Katzowitz is the Weekend Editor for the Daily Dot and covers the world of YouTube. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. He’s also a longtime sports writer, covering the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.