- What Daenerys’ biggest ‘Game of Thrones’ scenes have in common with Nazi propaganda 2 Years Ago
- Here’s what’s coming to Amazon Prime in June Today 2:11 PM
- Where did Jon Snow go? Unpacking the ‘Game of Thrones’ ending Today 2:04 PM
- So, did anyone actually win ‘Game of Thrones’? Today 1:29 PM
- The surprising religious subtext of ‘John Wick: Chapter 3’ Today 12:53 PM
- Robin Arryn got hot—and the internet is seriously shook Today 12:40 PM
- Tana Mongeau is going to VidCon a year after TanaCon disaster Today 12:12 PM
- What have 2020 Democrats said about Alabama’s abortion ban? Today 11:36 AM
- People keep throwing milkshakes at the U.K.’s far-right politicians Today 11:10 AM
- James Charles is rebounding from his YouTube scandal—and his mentor is paying the price Today 10:42 AM
- Conservatives accuse Pete Buttigieg of wanting to tear down Jefferson Memorial Today 10:28 AM
- Graduating Moorehouse students thank billionaire for vowing to pay off $40m in student debt Today 10:22 AM
- ‘Westworld’ season 3 trailer gives us a new world, Aaron Paul Today 10:17 AM
- Twitch streamer says she’s receiving backlash for ‘getting men banned’ Today 9:27 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ fulfilled a twisted version of its biggest prophecy Today 8:17 AM
Astros outfielder Carlos Beltran donates $1 million to Puerto Rico for hurricane relief
Photo via Keith Allison/Flickr (CC-BY-SA)
He’s also raised tens of thousands of dollars more.
The Puerto Rico native kicked off his crowdfunding on Friday by making a personal donation of $1 million. Since his announcement and as of press time, the page has raised an additional $30,000 from 231 donors. Beltran’s donation will go toward Puerto Ricans still reeling from the damage inflicted by Hurricane Maria and Hurricane Irma. Hurricane Maria, the strongest storm the island has seen in more than 80 years, left the entire island without power.
Puerto Rico Hurricane Relief Fund | Created by Carlos & Jessica Beltran https://t.co/H5jA8J7lhF
— Carlos Beltran (@carlosbeltran15) September 22, 2017
Wrote Beltran on the Crowdrise page: “The devastation that Hurricane Maria has brought to Puerto Rico is unimaginable, leaving the island without power for the indefinite future. Many of us are still praying and waiting to hear from our loved ones to just know they are OK.”
Beltran wrote the proceeds will be donated to the Fundacion Carlos Beltran, so the family can “personally insure that all funds go where they will be needed the most to help when the water recedes.”
Fans and friends on Twitter responded favorably to his announcement of his foundation.
People throughout the nation, please help Carlos and his family and his great island
— Peter Gammons (@pgammo) September 22, 2017
This is why Mets fans love folks like Carlos. Community first. I'm donating
— np-complete (@donkos) September 22, 2017
A la verdad q eres tremendo orgullo para todos los Boricuas!!Que Dios te Bendiga!!🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏
— Mary Bentz (@fanaticapr6) September 23, 2017
Beltran is not the only baseball player to crowdfund for Puerto Rico.
St. Louis Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina and Los Angeles Dodgers utility man Enrique “Kike” Hernandez, along with Carmelo Anthony of the New York Knicks, have donated funds to hurricane relief efforts, according to ESPN.
Tess Cagle is a reporter who focuses on politics, lifestyle, and streaming entertainment. Her work has appeared in the New York Times, Texas Monthly, the Austin American-Statesman, Damn Joan, and Community Impact Newspaper. She’s also a portrait, events, and live music photographer in Central Texas.