- Kyrsten Sinema may face a censure vote—and net neutrality is a big reason why Today 8:36 AM
- Recreate a Hogwarts holiday with the LEGO ‘Harry Potter’ Advent calendar Today 8:27 AM
- How to stream Titans vs. Jaguars on Thursday Night Football Today 8:26 AM
- 24 Halloween costumes so weird all you can do is laugh Today 8:13 AM
- Night Monkey finally gets the trailer he deserves Today 8:04 AM
- All the TV series and films coming to AppleTV+ Today 8:00 AM
- How to watch ‘American Horror Story: 1984’ Today 7:00 AM
- What’s new in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare? Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Carole and Tuesday’ is a feast for the eyes, ears, and heart Today 6:30 AM
- Tara Booth’s Instagram art embraces the comedy in mental health struggles Today 6:00 AM
- Everything we know so far about Peacock, NBC’s new streaming service Tuesday 7:42 PM
- Selena Gomez producing docuseries about immigration for Netflix Tuesday 7:11 PM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Shakhtar Donetsk in Champions League action Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos threatens to crash furry convention he is barred from Tuesday 5:54 PM
- How to stream Juventus vs. Atletico Madrid in Champions League action Tuesday 5:52 PM
Will Caitlyn Jenner dance with Trump? Jenner’s rep says it’s a ‘ridiculous story’
And does it in an incredibly offensive way.
For the past few days, rumors have been swirling that Caitlyn Jenner, who had previously said that Donald Trump would be a champion for LGBT rights, would share a dance with the incoming president at the inauguration festivities. A Jenner rep reportedly told People magazine that’s not true, but did so in an incredibly offensive way.
“This is a ridiculous story,” the rep said. “There have been no discussions about who Caitlyn will or won’t dance with, or if she will dance at all. I can’t deal in hypotheticals and have no idea what any Trump aids hope happens. Of course, the real question is if they danced, who would lead?”
Ahh yes, who would lead? The joke being that men traditionally lead in a dance, and Jenner was assigned male at birth, so haha it’d be like two men dancing.
Trump has reportedly been urged to dance with Jenner to send a message of support for the LGBT community, though Jenner has a thorny history when it comes to LGBT politics. She identifies as a Republican, a party traditionally hostile to LGBT rights, and though she admitted the Democrats had a more pro-LGBT platform, she said “it was easy to come out as trans, it was harder to come out as a Republican.”
She has also been criticized for not always recognizing her economic privilege, which keeps her out of touch with the realities many trans people face, such as homelessness, abuse and discrimination.
Jaya Saxena is a lifestyle writer and editor whose work focuses primarily on women's issues and web culture. Her writing has appeared in GQ, ELLE, the Toast, the New Yorker, Tthe Hairpin, BuzzFeed, Racked, Eater, Catapult, and others. She is the co-author of 'Dad Magazine,' the author of 'The Book Of Lost Recipes,' and the co-author of 'Basic Witches.'