- People are sharing how serving in the military has ruined their lives with #WhyIServe Sunday 5:31 PM
- Gillette ad showing a dad teaching his trans son how to shave has the internet in tears Sunday 4:34 PM
- 4chan’s new troll campaign aims to make the hashtag a white supremacist symbol Sunday 2:49 PM
- Here’s what that ‘cliff wife’ meme is all about Sunday 12:58 PM
- Artist suspended from Facebook, Instagram after posting anti-MAGA artwork Sunday 12:04 PM
- How to watch Serie A online for free Sunday 7:30 AM
- What does ‘uwu’ mean? Sunday 7:00 AM
- How to uninstall the Epic Games Launcher (for real) Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Indianapolis 500 online for free Sunday 6:00 AM
- Ohio KKK rally met with massive counter-protest and witty signs from local businesses Saturday 5:06 PM
- Guy who said he stole drugs from MS-13 now says viral story is fake Saturday 4:07 PM
- Financial service company left 885 million private records exposed online Saturday 3:13 PM
- Sasha Obama went to prom and Twitter is delighted with the photos Saturday 2:22 PM
- Jon Voight says Trump is the greatest president since Lincoln in Twitter videos Saturday 1:31 PM
- #DeleteFacebook gains momentum after the platform refused to remove doctored Nancy Pelosi videos Saturday 11:58 AM
Judge Brett Kavanaugh liked beer when he was a high school student. In fact, he still likes beer. This seems to be one of his primary points while being interviewed to serve a lifetime appointment on the Supreme Court by the Senate Judiciary Committee, and Twitter is completely eviscerating his enraged ranting because of it.
I wish I had a beer.
— Lydia Polgreen (@lpolgreen) September 27, 2018
I like my beer like I like my emotions…bottled
— TabCat94 (@tabcat94) September 27, 2018
"I liked beer. I still like beer." Kavanaugh says as he slurs, screams, and cries into the microphone.
SNL is going to have a field day with this.#KavanaughHearings
— Kalliope (@KAmorphous) September 27, 2018
Kavanaugh mentioned his appreciation for the yeasty beverage during his opening statement to the committee, nearly an hour after Christine Blasey Ford finished telling the committee about the evening she says he attempted to rape her when they were in high school.
“I liked beer. I still like beer, but I did not drink beer to the point of blacking out and I never sexually assaulted anyone,” Kavanaugh said. If everyone in high school who drank beer in this country was accused of sexual assault, Kavanaugh said, the country would be in a dark place.
Kavanaugh later went on to explain to Rachel Mitchell, the prosecutor questioning him and Ford for the committee’s Republicans, that him and his friends drank beer.
“Yes we drank beer, my friends and I, boys and girls. Yes, we drank beer, I like beer, I still like beer, we drank beer. The drinking age, as I noted, was 18, so the seniors were legal, senior year in high school people were legal to drink. Yeah, we drank beer, and I said sometimes, sometimes probably had too many beers, and sometimes other people had too many beers. We drank beer, I like beer,” Kavanaugh said.
Kavanaugh’s explanation of how much he likes beer, versus his inability to have ever sexually assaulted someone, versus the audacity that everyone who drinks beer might be accused of sexual assault, was a clear attempt to show that he’s just a good ol’ boy who knows how to have a good time without losing his inhibitions and causing someone harm.
The thing is, no one is accusing Kavanaugh of assaulting Ford because he drinks beer. She says he assaulted her because that is what she remembers happening to her.
We are juxtaposing the testimony of a woman who went into studied, medical detail about how memory is formed in the brain and a man yelling ‘I LIKE BEER’.
— Nesrine Malik (@NesrineMalik) September 27, 2018
I drank beer.
Sometimes I drank too much beer.
I liked beer.
I still like beer. #fratchant
— hugh acheson (@HughAcheson) September 27, 2018
Lots of talk about beer /
He may get a job with a beer company –
— John Cusack (@johncusack) September 27, 2018
Kavanaugh now talks about how much he loves drinking beer and how it's totally different than sexual assault
If everyone in high school who drank beer in this country is accused of sexual assault we'll be in a dark place in this country, Kavanaugh says
How is this real life
— Jessica Mason Pieklo (@Hegemommy) September 27, 2018
Ain’t nobody accusing Brett Kavanaugh of being guilty of sexual assault because he drank beer.
— Franklin Leonard (@franklinleonard) September 27, 2018
This is a very serious and sickening day, but it is pretty funny to have to tell Congress that you like beer
— Chase Mitchell (@ChaseMit) September 27, 2018
But every kid who drank beer in high school hasn’t been accused of sexual assault. YOU have.
— Jennifer Mendelsohn 🇺🇸 (@CleverTitleTK) September 27, 2018
After Kavanaugh’s declared love of brewskis, and all of Ford’s testimony, the internet may need a beer itself.
Samantha Grasso is a former IRL staff writer for the Daily Dot with a reporting emphasis on immigration. Her work has appeared on Los Angeles Magazine, Death And Taxes, Revelist, Texts From Last Night, Austin Monthly, and she has previously contributed to Texas Monthly.