- A lonely grandma sought family to spend Christmas with on Craigslist Saturday 5:45 PM
- Airbnb bans white supremacists tied to Iron March forum Saturday 5:07 PM
- Did a Twitter user really get tricked into naming baby ‘Jack Ingof’? Saturday 4:46 PM
- State of emergency declared in New Orleans following ‘cyberattack’ Saturday 4:12 PM
- Video shows boy getting beat up–mom says it’s because he wore MAGA hat Saturday 3:54 PM
- Billboard changing albums chart to count YouTube streams Saturday 2:43 PM
- TikTok’s 20 most popular songs of 2019 Saturday 2:14 PM
- Greek gods memes are flooding Reddit thanks to TV reboot rumors Saturday 1:47 PM
- Anti-impeachment protesters aimlessly fumble through halls of Congress Saturday 12:54 PM
- Everything we know so far about the Xbox Series X Saturday 12:17 PM
- ASMR YouTuber Life with MaK says she was branded a ‘Nazi’ by online smear campaign Saturday 10:46 AM
- Voters duped by fake ex-Bloomberg intern’s tweet about being fired Saturday 9:47 AM
- HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ and the fantasy of competence Saturday 8:00 AM
- Cómo ver Kamaru Usman vs. Colby Covington en el UFC 245 Saturday 7:00 AM
- ‘Penis fish’ memes erupt after worms wash up on California coast Friday 5:58 PM
Judge Brett Kavanaugh liked beer when he was a high school student. In fact, he still likes beer. This seems to be one of his primary points while being interviewed to serve a lifetime appointment on the Supreme Court by the Senate Judiciary Committee, and Twitter is completely eviscerating his enraged ranting because of it.
I wish I had a beer.— Lydia Polgreen (@lpolgreen) September 27, 2018
I like my beer like I like my emotions...bottled— TabCat94 (@tabcat94) September 27, 2018
"I liked beer. I still like beer." Kavanaugh says as he slurs, screams, and cries into the microphone.— Kalliope (@KAmorphous) September 27, 2018
SNL is going to have a field day with this.#KavanaughHearings
Kavanaugh mentioned his appreciation for the yeasty beverage during his opening statement to the committee, nearly an hour after Christine Blasey Ford finished telling the committee about the evening she says he attempted to rape her when they were in high school.
“I liked beer. I still like beer, but I did not drink beer to the point of blacking out and I never sexually assaulted anyone,” Kavanaugh said. If everyone in high school who drank beer in this country was accused of sexual assault, Kavanaugh said, the country would be in a dark place.
Kavanaugh later went on to explain to Rachel Mitchell, the prosecutor questioning him and Ford for the committee’s Republicans, that him and his friends drank beer.
“Yes we drank beer, my friends and I, boys and girls. Yes, we drank beer, I like beer, I still like beer, we drank beer. The drinking age, as I noted, was 18, so the seniors were legal, senior year in high school people were legal to drink. Yeah, we drank beer, and I said sometimes, sometimes probably had too many beers, and sometimes other people had too many beers. We drank beer, I like beer,” Kavanaugh said.
Kavanaugh’s explanation of how much he likes beer, versus his inability to have ever sexually assaulted someone, versus the audacity that everyone who drinks beer might be accused of sexual assault, was a clear attempt to show that he’s just a good ol’ boy who knows how to have a good time without losing his inhibitions and causing someone harm.
The thing is, no one is accusing Kavanaugh of assaulting Ford because he drinks beer. She says he assaulted her because that is what she remembers happening to her.
We are juxtaposing the testimony of a woman who went into studied, medical detail about how memory is formed in the brain and a man yelling ‘I LIKE BEER’.— Nesrine Malik (@NesrineMalik) September 27, 2018
I drank beer.— hugh acheson (@HughAcheson) September 27, 2018
Sometimes I drank too much beer.
I liked beer.
I still like beer. #fratchant
Lots of talk about beer /— John Cusack (@johncusack) September 27, 2018
He may get a job with a beer company -
Kavanaugh now talks about how much he loves drinking beer and how it's totally different than sexual assault— Jessica Mason Pieklo (@Hegemommy) September 27, 2018
If everyone in high school who drank beer in this country is accused of sexual assault we'll be in a dark place in this country, Kavanaugh says
How is this real life
Ain’t nobody accusing Brett Kavanaugh of being guilty of sexual assault because he drank beer.— Franklin Leonard (@franklinleonard) September 27, 2018
This is a very serious and sickening day, but it is pretty funny to have to tell Congress that you like beer— Chase Mitchell (@ChaseMit) September 27, 2018
But every kid who drank beer in high school hasn’t been accused of sexual assault. YOU have.— Jennifer Mendelsohn 🇺🇸 (@CleverTitleTK) September 27, 2018
After Kavanaugh’s declared love of brewskis, and all of Ford’s testimony, the internet may need a beer itself.
Samantha Grasso is a former IRL staff writer for the Daily Dot with a reporting emphasis on immigration. Her work has appeared on Los Angeles Magazine, Death And Taxes, Revelist, Texts From Last Night, Austin Monthly, and she has previously contributed to Texas Monthly.