- Major protests in Lebanon triggered by plan to tax WhatsApp calls 3 Months Ago
- Frank Ocean’s $60 HIV prevention drug-themed shirts called tone-deaf Today 12:49 PM
- ‘Joker’ stairs latest Instagram spot; locals joke about potential robberies Today 10:30 AM
- PewDiePie banned in China after reacting to Winnie the Pooh memes Today 8:46 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Eagles on Sunday Night Football Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream Chargers vs. Titans in Week 7 Today 6:00 AM
- 13 spooky romance games for adults Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 9 Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream Impact Wrestling’s Bound For Glory Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream Bills vs. Dolphins in Week 7 Today 4:30 AM
- How to stream Jaguars vs. Bengals in Week 7 Today 4:00 AM
- How to stream Texans vs. Colts in Week 7 Today 3:00 AM
- How to stream Manchester United vs. Liverpool Saturday 10:00 PM
- Man dragged for recording, posting video of neighbor being ‘killed’ instead of helping Saturday 4:14 PM
- How to stream Saints vs. Bears in Week 7 Saturday 3:25 PM
“I’m actually a pansexual, and I didn’t know that,” Thorne said on Good Morning America. “Doesn’t have to be a girl, or a guy, or you know, a he, a she, a this, or that. It’s literally, you like personality, like you just like a being.”
Thorne also opened up about how she overcame trauma resulting from sexual abuse and learned to chase what makes her happiest.
“I mean, when you’re raised with someone. And you don’t know that it’s wrong,” she said of her abuse. “It’s just very, like, an everyday occurrence, like no big deal.”
Thorne is among the 4.5% of people who do not identify as straight in the U.S., according to a Gallup Poll. The other celebrities who have come out as pansexual in recent years include Miley Cyrus in 2015 and Janelle Monae in 2018. In 2018, the Daily Dot’s Ana Valens wrote an explainer on pansexuality and how it relates to other sexualities that fall under the LGBTQ umbrella.
Pansexuality is different from bisexuality because it rejects binaries, leaving room to describe an attraction to genderqueer and nonbinary people. Some pansexual people will publicly identify as bisexual to avoid alienating their peers, as the pansexual orientation is similar to several orientations under the LGBTQ umbrella.
- Embracing pansexuality: A queer woman opens up about how she came to identify
- Bella Thorne claims Tana Mongeau ‘broke girl code’ in a series of messy tweets
- The pride and pitfalls in LGBTQ labels
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Brooke Sjoberg is an editorial intern for the Daily Dot studying journalism at the University of Texas at Austin. She is also the Daily Texan's Life and Arts Editor and an editorial intern for Texas Connect magazine.