Former ‘Bachelor’ Colton Underwood tests positive for coronavirus

'Please do yourself and your loved ones a favor and stay home.'

Mar 21, 2020, 9:34 am*

IRL

Rachel Kiley 

Rachel Kiley

colton underwood from the bachelor

coltonunderwood/Instagram Instagram/coltonunderwood

Every time we see a celebrity trending on Twitter, we know at this point there’s a good chance they’ve either tested positive for COVID-19, or they’ve opted to say something about the outbreak that they’re probably going to regret pretty soon.

The latest pseudo-celeb to fall into the “positive” for coronavirus category is former Bachelor Colton Underwood.

The reality star, who handed out roses for the popular series’ 23rd season last year, posted a video to Instagram on Friday, sharing his diagnosis.

“I tested positive and I have been following all of the social distancing rules since last week,” he wrote. “My symptoms started a few days ago, I was tested and just received my results today. For anyone out there that is hesitant to self quarantine… please do yourself and your loved ones a favor and stay home.”

The former Bachelor‘s video stressed that those who believe coronavirus will only affect the elderly and the immunocompromised are mistaken, noting that he is 28, healthy and active.

“It’s been kicking my a**, just to put it very bluntly,” he said of the virus.

On Twitter, he shared that his symptoms have included fever, shortness of breath, and coughing, as well as somewhat less common ones such as headaches, body aches, and night sweats.

“Currently I get winded doing simple tasks like walking up the stairs getting out of bed,” he added.

Underwood started dating contestant Cassie Rudolph in the finale of his Bachelor season. The two are still together, and he says he is quarantined at her family’s house.

While Bachelor Nation fans obviously wished the reality star a speedy recovery, some folks were frustrated at yet another example of a seemingly healthy celebrity getting tested for coronavirus when there are people who are severely ill and unable to be tested.

“Please don’t utilize any more of our medical services unless you genuinely feel you are in serious trouble,” Twitter user Josh Olin wrote. “People are dying and badly need those resources.”

And while his message to others to stay home and minimize social contact—what experts have been saying for some time now—is one that needs to be heard, other folks pointed out that the Bachelor star himself failed to heed that advice in the time leading up to testing positive for coronavirus.

Hopefully others learn from Underwood’s mistake rather than having to learn from their own. Stay home and social distance, everyone! If you run out of ideas for things to do during the coronavirus outbreak, it would probably be a great time to catch up on past seasons of the Bachelor.

READ MORE:

Share this article
*First Published: Mar 20, 2020, 7:59 pm