- Kyrsten Sinema may face a censure vote—and net neutrality is a big reason why 1 Month Ago
- Recreate a Hogwarts holiday with the LEGO ‘Harry Potter’ Advent calendar 1 Month Ago
- How to stream Titans vs. Jaguars on Thursday Night Football 1 Month Ago
- 24 Halloween costumes so weird all you can do is laugh 1 Month Ago
- Night Monkey finally gets the trailer he deserves Today 8:04 AM
- All the TV series and films coming to AppleTV+ Today 8:00 AM
- How to watch ‘American Horror Story: 1984’ Today 7:00 AM
- What’s new in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare? Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Carole and Tuesday’ is a feast for the eyes, ears, and heart Today 6:30 AM
- Tara Booth’s Instagram art embraces the comedy in mental health struggles Today 6:00 AM
- Everything we know so far about Peacock, NBC’s new streaming service Tuesday 7:42 PM
- Selena Gomez producing docuseries about immigration for Netflix Tuesday 7:11 PM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Shakhtar Donetsk in Champions League action Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos threatens to crash furry convention he is barred from Tuesday 5:54 PM
- How to stream Juventus vs. Atletico Madrid in Champions League action Tuesday 5:52 PM
YouTube has more music than most websites, but you can’t listen to it outside of the YouTube app. At least, not without dishing out some cash for YouTube Premium. Sometimes, it’s just more convenient to convert YouTube videos to MP3 files online.
Unfortunately, many of the free YouTube to mp3 converters that come up on Google searches are chock-full of spammy pop-ups. Some even require you to download converting software, which isn’t ideal. In response to this converter epidemic, we’ve compiled a list of the five best YouTube to mp3 converters that are free, easy to use, and truly online—that is, they don’t require you to use outside software.
Here our are favorite tried and tested converters for all your YouTube and MP3 needs.
Top 5 free YouTube to mp3 converters online
Why we like it: It’s straightforward, uncluttered, and efficient.
How to use it: Paste your link into the blue search box, hit ‘convert,’ then hit ‘download.’ If a new tab pops up, X out of it—and that’s just about it. A few short seconds later, you’ll have your MP3 file.
Why we like it: It gives you three different ways to convert YouTube videos to MP3 files, depending on what would be most convenient for you. Moreover, it outlines each method of converting through clear, easy-to-follow directions right on the home page.
How to use it: If you want to convert your video right on the site, just post the YouTube URL into the black search box at the top of the page and click on the format you want to convert it to—in this case, MP3. It’ll start downloading immediately, and that’s all you have to do.
You can also use GenYoutube right from YouTube itself. Go to YouTube, click on the video you want to convert, and add ‘gen’ before youtube.com in the video’s URL (making the first part of the URL www.genyoutube.com). You’ll see the URL change slightly and the video appear within the GenYoutube site.
Lastly, GenYoutube gives you the option to download FireFox, Chrome, and Safari extensions. If you decide to forego online options and use converting software yourself, this is definitely the way to go.
Why we like it: Like YTMP3, Y2mate is streamlined and effortless to use. It’s further down the list because it doesn’t convert certain mega-viral, verified videos directly from its site. However, the videos Y2mate does work with get converted extremely quickly.
How to use it: Paste your YouTube link in the red search box and it’ll convert the video instantaneously. Voila! Hit download and enjoy your mp3.
Why we like it: While FLVTO shares Y2mate’s limitations on verified videos, it’s super easy to use. Also, the site design is fun.
Why we like it: The site is intuitive to use and it converts files quickly. However, CONVERTO has just one catch: It’ll occasionally open two annoying (but harmless) spam tabs.
How to use it: Paste your YouTube URL into the blue search box and hit ‘convert.’ If an extra tab opens up, just X out of it. You’ll find that your video converted to mp3 instantly, so click ‘click here’ to start downloading. Hit X on the spam tab again and your mp3 will finish downloading in a few seconds.
Anna Maria Ward is the social media editor of the Daily Dot. Her work focuses on the intersections of entertainment, pop culture, and social justice. She previously contributed to the Houston Chronicle and Orange magazine.