- How to live stream the 2020 Grammy Awards 2 Weeks Ago
- Technology created deepfakes—does it have a way to stop them, too? 2 Weeks Ago
- SESTA-FOSTA is ‘detrimental’ to sex workers’ safety, study confirms Today 6:00 AM
- Jeff Bezos’ girlfriend allegedly sent his nudes to her brother, who then leaked them Saturday 6:38 PM
- This Instagram account catches influencers in the wild Saturday 5:42 PM
- The best upcoming video games to look out for in February 2020 Saturday 5:23 PM
- TikTok teens use AirPods and Google Translate to secretly talk in class Saturday 4:32 PM
- Video shows corpses of coronavirus victims lying in China hospital Saturday 3:44 PM
- Kid meets Slipknot after drumming video goes viral Saturday 2:30 PM
- Channing Tatum responds to troll who tried to compare Jenna Dewan and Jessie J’s looks Saturday 1:46 PM
- Grindr pulls an ‘I don’t know her’ after Eminem suggests he uses the app Saturday 12:48 PM
- Here are the top 10 most popular Instagram models in 2020 Saturday 12:21 PM
- ‘The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina’ takes its characters on a fantasy adventure to Hell in season 3 Saturday 11:37 AM
- Woman no longer in sorority, school after racist MLK post Saturday 10:45 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Miss Americana’ starts to deconstruct the myth of Taylor Swift Saturday 10:32 AM
The U.S. government is once again pushing Apple to help it crack iPhone’s security following an attack last month at the Pensacola Naval Air Station.
Attorney General William Barr called on the tech company during a press conference Monday to aid investigators in accessing two phones owned by Mohammed Saeed Alshamrani, who shot and killed three people at the air station on Dec. 6 before law enforcement killed him.
Barr argued that since “both phones are engineered to make it virtually impossible to unlock them without the password,” obtaining data on the devices is impossible without Apple.
“We have asked Apple for their help in unlocking the shooter’s iPhones. So far Apple has not given us any substantive assistance,” Barr said. “This situation perfectly illustrates why it is critical that investigators be able to get access to digital evidence once they have obtained a court order based on probable cause.”
The attorney general went on to ask Apple and other tech companies “to help us find a solution so that we can better protect the lives of Americans and prevent future attacks.”
But Barr’s claim is identical to the one made by the U.S. government following the 2015 San Bernardino attack, in which it claimed that it needed Apple to break its encryption in order to access the shooter’s phone.
At the time, Apple pushed back by noting that the company is unable to access newer model iPhones given that the encryption keys used to protect them are stored on the devices themselves.
Not long after, however, the FBI was able to pay a private company close to $1 million to break into the phone.
Barr’s statement boils down to nothing more than yet another demand for companies like Apple to backdoor its encryption, which would endanger the private communications of millions of innocent users.
While Apple has yet to publicly respond to Barr’s statement, the company will almost certainly push back like it did in 2015.
- This iPhone app says it will alert you if you’ve been hacked
- Facebook bug opened iPhone cameras while users scrolled their feeds
- Researcher discovers unpatchable iPhone jailbreak exploit
Mikael Thalen is a tech and security reporter based in Seattle, covering social media, data breaches, hackers, and more.