- Billie Eilish fans riot after being referred to as ‘Avocados’ Sunday 4:37 PM
- Beyhive coming for Sainsbury’s supermarket over Ivy Park shade Sunday 3:17 PM
- Antique store blasted for selling ‘white only’ signs Sunday 1:45 PM
- DaBaby explains altercation with hotel employee after video goes viral Sunday 12:32 PM
- Kanye faces backlash for headlining Christian event with anti-LGBTQ leaders Sunday 10:31 AM
- Why is Yennefer of Vengerberg so different in Netflix’s ‘The Witcher’? Sunday 10:00 AM
- Actress slammed for ‘acid attack-face’ TikTok challenge Sunday 9:46 AM
- ‘Weathering With You’ blends fantasy and realism in a magical love story Saturday 6:18 PM
- Kidnapped teen used Snapchat to get rescued Saturday 4:35 PM
- What fans do and don’t want to see in future ‘Far Cry’ installments Saturday 4:26 PM
- Aaron Carter accused of stealing lion art for merch Saturday 3:10 PM
- Instagram’s hidden like counts were inspired by a ‘Black Mirror’ episode Saturday 2:06 PM
- Student says they were expelled for tricking teacher into making inappropriate TikTok Saturday 12:26 PM
- Space Force uniforms relentlessly mocked, memed Saturday 10:52 AM
- Man flamed after admitting he called police on Target employee over a toothbrush Saturday 9:10 AM
For cord-cutters, the Apple TV has proven a miraculous device. With Apple TV apps, you can access almost anything you’d get through a cable or satellite subscription—although in some cases, you may need to “borrow” a friend or family member’s cable credentials. Using it is easy and intuitive, for the most part, although its uber-minimal remote control can leave some questions unanswered, like… How do I turn off Apple TV?
How to turn off Apple TV
To do this, press and hold the display icon button (the button you use to wake the device) for five seconds. Then, an onscreen message will pop up asking “Sleep now?” You can choose “Sleep” or “Cancel.” If you want the device to go to sleep, select the former.
- Everything you need to know about Sling TV
- FuboTV is the sports streaming service you’ve been waiting for
- PlayStation Vue channels: The complete list for every live TV package
If you really want to turn off Apple TV (and not just put it to sleep), you’ll have unplug the device. That’s not a very practical solution, but hey, it works.
If you own an older Apple TV—3rd generation or earlier—the action is similar. On the aluminum or white Apple Remote, tap and hold the Pause/Play button for five seconds. Alternatively, you can head into the device’s settings and select “Sleep Now” to put it to sleep.
To wake up the Apple TV after it’s been put to sleep, simply tap any button on the remote or the Touch surface at the top. From there, you can resume watching Netflix, movies, playing games, or whatever else you want to use your set-top box for.
While it may seem weird that you can’t turn off Apple TV, typically, turning off the device isn’t something you need to worry about. Your Apple TV will turn off on its own after a period of inactivity. (You can customize this length of time in Settings, General, and then tap Sleep After.)
New to cord-cutting? Here are our picks for the best movie streaming sites of 2018 and free live TV apps and channels. If you’re looking for a specific channel, here’s how to watch HBO, Showtime, Starz, ESPN, AMC, FX, and NFL RedZone without cable, as well as free movies on YouTube.
Christina Bonnington is a tech reporter who specializes in consumer gadgets, apps, and the trends shaping the technology industry. Her work has also appeared in Gizmodo, Wired, Refinery29, Slate, Bicycling, and Outside Magazine. She is based in the San Francisco Bay Area and has a background in electrical engineering.