- Riots break out after a fake email about coronavirus went viral Thursday 8:59 PM
- Bloomberg edits debate clip to make other Democratic candidates appear speechless Thursday 7:50 PM
- Dad claims YouTube refuses to remove video of daughter’s murder Thursday 6:36 PM
- Video of Kanye leaving Kim in elevator to carry all their bags has people cackling Thursday 6:19 PM
- Orlando Bloom’s tattoo misspelled son’s name because of Pinterest Thursday 5:35 PM
- The Ahi Challenge is the latest dance taking over TikTok Thursday 4:40 PM
- Show criticized for putting rape victim in blackface to protect her identity Thursday 3:42 PM
- Woman becomes viral sensation after iconic ‘Shallow’ subway video Thursday 2:48 PM
- Prettyboyfredo tried to gift a bullied teen some $30,000 Nikes at school—he got detained Thursday 2:13 PM
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: Wedding bells and blows Thursday 1:50 PM
- A 16-year-old made a ‘meme guide’ to help her dad understand online trends Thursday 1:46 PM
- UCLA drops plans to use facial recognition after student pushback Thursday 1:07 PM
- ‘Star Trek: Picard’ recap, episode 5: ‘Stardust City Rag’ Thursday 12:56 PM
- Roger Stone sentenced to 40 months in prison Thursday 12:45 PM
- New The 1975 music video is full of memes you’ll love Thursday 12:28 PM
The Glov is a bionic sex toy that wants to revolutionize female masturbation
Ladies, can you hand-le this bionic sex toy?
This article contains sexually explicit material that may be NSFW.
Let’s be real for a second here, ladies: How many times have you been engaging in a little self-love with your Hitachi Magic Wand, only to have to stop in the middle because you feel like you’re developing carpal tunnel?
If you lack the wrist dexterity of a hand surgeon and/or jazz drummer—or, alternatively, if you’re just really, really lazy—sometimes it’s tough to gratify yourself to completion without getting tired or cramping up midway through. Thankfully this Tampa design team is stepping in to give you a hand—literally.
They’ve come up with the Glov, a bionic hand/sex toy available in fuschia and purple that aims to change the way you masturbate while simultaneously making you feel like you’re getting finger-banged by a flamboyant RoboCop.
The Glov is a sex toy for women that allows you to use your favorite vibrator or dildo, without requiring you to exert much hand or wrist motion.
“Currently, every self-penetration device on the market requires the user to hold and operate it in an unnatural and straining way,” the project description summary on Indiegogo explains. “[The user has] to grip the device at its base, hold it at a 90 degree angle, and incorporate the whole arm in order to create the rhythmic in and out motion.”
What the Glov does is allow you to control your favorite sex toy via the middle three fingers of the device, which lets you fasten your dildo or vibrator of choice to a bracket. All you have to do is slip the Glov on your dominant (re: masturbating) hand and wiggle your middle three fingers like you’re waving goodbye to control the toy’s rhythm and motion. Basically, it’s like a bionic hand for really lazy, horny women.
Here’s a quick (and obviously NSFW) animation to demonstrate:
The Glov was created by Steve Scrase, a Tampa-based businessman and CEO of the startup Glovin Life (!). “I remember thinking about traditional, hand-held sex toys, and how awkward they seemed to use,” he says in the Indiegogo campaign video. His goal, he says, was to design a toy that “worked better and felt better,” offering “maximum stimulation with minimum effort.”
While it is true that using your vibrator might be unwieldy or uncomfortable at times—especially if you’re lying prostrate and you have to crane your neck to adjust the controls, like you’re trying to see the subtitles at an opera—judging by the popularity of sex toys like the Hitachi Magic Wand, most women obviously don’t consider that a severe impediment toward achieving orgasm.
For this reason, the Glov, while intriguing from a sex/tech perspective, might not be practical to implement in your day-to-day self-love routine. (It also seems like it might be kinda unnerving to be fantasizing about Tom Hardy and then looking down and seeing a grotesque silicon Franken-hand furiously manipulating your junk, but that’s another issue altogether.)
All that said, if you’re a lady with, say, back problems, or other health issues that restrict your range of motion, it’s easy to see how the Glov could be a welcome addition to your sexual repertoire. Just maybe try to keep your eyes closed until the Glov has finished, erm, lending you a helping hand.
Screengrab via Glovin Life/YouTube
EJ Dickson is a writer and editor who primarily covers sex, dating, and relationships, with a special focus on the intersection of intimacy and technology. She served as the Daily Dot’s IRL editor from January 2014 to July 2015. Her work has since appeared in the New York Times, Rolling Stone, Mic, Bustle, Romper, and Men’s Health.