- Amazon Flex drivers now must use selfies to verify identity Sunday 6:34 PM
- #GentrifyingGeorge thinks 152-year-old HBCU should ‘just move’ Sunday 5:27 PM
- Watch out! Tonight’s episode of ‘Game of Thrones’ leaked online (updated) Sunday 3:32 PM
- Videos of people working may be the best thing on TikTok right now Sunday 1:46 PM
- How to watch ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8, episode 2 for free Sunday 7:00 AM
- Gendry is making a new weapon for Arya Stark—but what is it? Sunday 6:30 AM
- The live-action Halo series could be Showtime’s most ambitious project yet Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to watch Turner Classic Movies for free Sunday 5:30 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Athletic Bilbao online for free Sunday 5:00 AM
- ‘Star Trek’s Jonathan Frakes calls out your lies with this new meme Saturday 3:46 PM
- #JusticeForLucca trends after video shows police slam Black teen’s head into pavement Saturday 3:11 PM
- The internet is shocked to learn that Goombas do, in fact, have arms Saturday 2:02 PM
- PayPal, GoFundMe cut off armed militia that detains migrants at border Saturday 1:16 PM
- Barnwood theft may be on the rise because of ‘Fixer Upper’—and fans aren’t having it Saturday 12:23 PM
- Literary Twitter calls out Dzanc Books for Islamophobic, racist novel Saturday 11:40 AM
Now felines can have fun filters, too.
These days, adding a filter is just a natural step in the selfie process. Snapping a photo of your own face is arguably more enjoyable (if potentially harmful) when a filter gives you the appearance of flawless skin and silly accessories you don’t have to actually wear. Well, thanks to Snapchat Cat Lenses, now you can put a bread or glasses filter on your favorite feline, too.
Snapchat Cat Lenses let you apply photo filters to cats similar to the ones humans have been enjoying for years, the Verge reports. Released on Friday, the feature builds on object recognition that can identify inanimate objects like food and pets, according to TechCrunch.
Lenses. For cool cats 😎 and their cool cats 😻 Try them meow. pic.twitter.com/UFJtgt8ZWO
— Snapchat (@Snapchat) October 12, 2018
How to use Snapchat Cat Lenses
Using Snapchat Cat Lenses is simple, especially if you’ve used Snapchat’s filters before. All you have to do is open your Snapchat app, select a filter on the screen, and hover your phone’s camera in front of your cat’s face to initiate some hilariously adorable photos.
With the filters, you have the option of giving your cat rainbow unicorn horns, puffy lips, or googly eyes. The filter can even simulate a piece of toast over your cat’s face.
The best Snapchat Cat Lenses Snaps
The feature was just released on Oct. 12, but apparently a lot of cat lovers have already used the Cat Lenses to snap photos. The cats don’t seem too amused, but their owners seem to be having a blast.
snapchat has filters for cats and i’m a little too excited pic.twitter.com/HskO9R6X0X
— bill clinton, the comeback kid. (@katthrash) October 15, 2018
Snapchat added filters specifically for cats and im all for it pic.twitter.com/kd0zFUnDZ8
— Rachael ♡ (@smolrachu) October 12, 2018
Been doing this for years! pic.twitter.com/kLGGtRYcWo
— Devon Marciano (@Devon_Cat) October 12, 2018
Imma dedicate my first tweet to CAT SNAPCHAT FILTERS 😍 pic.twitter.com/fpEFeJPdIF
— Kara ♡ (@karamoore__) October 13, 2018
Snapchat over here making filters for your cat pic.twitter.com/y58znvITjm
— Wu-Tay 💆🏻♀️ (@_daddyyy___) October 12, 2018
Kaže Snapchat: Try with your cat.
Was not disappointed. pic.twitter.com/MXRssyBjKb
— Ana Hotko (@AnaHotko) October 12, 2018
they have snapchat filters for your cat now!! HELL YEA!!!!!! pic.twitter.com/J9crAMr1Iv
— it smells like up dog (@morganbrooks) October 12, 2018
Putting snapchat filter/lenses on my cat makes me way happier than it should pic.twitter.com/fiVSomSW4C
— izzybee🐝 (@panicattheizzy) April 22, 2016
Why Snapchat Cat Lenses are just for cats
It’s unclear why Snapchat chose to focus on cats and not other animals for its new feature. The facial-recognition technology works for some dog breeds, according to BBC. Sony is also developing its autofocus technology to identify animals. Maybe Snapchat will eventually create dog lenses specifically for canines. Until then, we’re sure to see a major influx of cat selfies.
Awaiting the dog friendly filters like… pic.twitter.com/Okpxu80GZr
— Laura Jameson (@lozjam) October 13, 2018
- The best Snapchat hacks, tips, tricks, and secret functions
- The ultimate guide to Snapchat flirting
- Snapchat Trophies: How to get them and what they mean
- How to follow celebrities on Snapchat
H/T the Verge
Sunny Kim studies journalism at the University of Texas at Austin. She's an editorial intern with the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in the Daily Texan and Popular Mechanics.